ASK THE CHAIRMAN PART 7: WHY DOES THE CLUB NOT SELL PLAYERS

2 minutes ago, Andoverowl said:

Every club sells player's apart from us.

He's sticking to his promise then.

If he sold Forestieri or Hooper he'd get some right old hammer.  "He said we weren't a selling club, the b'stard"

The fact is, we've got mump on because we haven't sold players that some people don't like.

In that sense, he can't win. 

2 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

If he sold Forestieri or Hooper he'd get some right old hammer.  "He said we weren't a selling club, the b'stard"

The fact is, we've got mump on because we haven't sold players that some people don't like.

Normally agree with you M'lud but we've got a lot of player's sat in the stand week after week that are on stupid wages , I just fear getting stung by FFP . Just my opinion as a concerned supporter.

Just now, Andoverowl said:

Normally agree with you M'lud but we've got a lot of player's sat in the stand week after week that are on stupid wages , I just fear getting stung by FFP . Just my opinion as a concerned supporter.

It's a gamble. Course it is. 

But it's one they are clearly willing to take. 

It's probably another reason why the kids (whether they are ready or not is another debate) haven't had a sniff.

We've clearly got a plan as he outlined in his statement. He wants experienced Championship players in every position. 

Of course if we don't go up the old FFP starts rising on the horizon. 

Though I am yet to see other massive spenders being hit for their sailing so close to wind. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Plonk said:

If you chose to pay the higher price you are not getting fleeced you are a fool.

So anyone without a season ticket is a fool?

If someone would like to take a friend/relative they are a fool?

If someone wants to go to a match for the first time they are a fool?

If a new Sheffield University student wants to watch a match they are a fool?

I would suggest Plonk, it is you who is the fool. These people in Sheffield will head to Bramall Lane and their attendances will overtake ours.

6 minutes ago, Andoverowl said:

who have we got that are always sat in the stand ....abdi ,matias are nearly always injured and in truth because of that are unsellable ....keen & dawson who are back keepers ....fred who's not even our player ....i'm struggling to name any more . I don't think we have a big squad and of late carlos seems to be playing a more settled side so some or obviously going to be on the bench but you only need 2-3 injuries and the back ups are going to be needed . 

6 minutes ago, Hack-Abusi said:

Bog standard answer to a bog standard question

personally i feel the question, why does the club not sell players shouldn't have been asked. Thought there would be more pressing issues with the fans ..

seriously like what ?....

31 minutes ago, torryowl said:

who have we got that are always sat in the stand ....abdi ,matias are nearly always injured and in truth because of that are unsellable ....keen & dawson who are back keepers ....fred who's not even our player ....i'm struggling to name any more . I don't think we have a big squad and of late carlos seems to be playing a more settled side so some or obviously going to be on the bench but you only need 2-3 injuries and the back ups are going to be needed . 

Dave,Fred isn't our player but we are paying him for his time here as well, there's a few grand a week just with those two IMO.

5 minutes ago, Andoverowl said:

Dave,Fred isn't our player but we are paying him for his time here as well, there's a few grand a week just with those two IMO.

dave gets time on the bench and we know fred is back up for lees who's not missed a match ...if we didn't have fred we'd still need cover for lees so why not go with someone who wont be costing us a big wage  .

3 minutes ago, torryowl said:

dave gets time on the bench and we know fred is back up for lees who's not missed a match ...if we didn't have fred we'd still need cover for lees so why not go with someone who wont be costing us a big wage  .

We seem to be going round in circles mate so I'll bow out UTO.

2 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

I don't necessarily agree with that.

I personally think our stubborn "No player for sale" stance, is directly contributing to the current impasse with our financial situation. 

No club outside and Premier League (or without the aid of parachute payments) can continue to buy players at the rate and expense we have, without balancing the books.

Of course, none of us would LIKE to lose a Hooper, a Lee, a Forestieri or a Lees... but had we brought in £5-10m selling a couple of these types of players, we'd be in a much better position now to strengthen our squad with a freshness I think we require. 

We're currently very close to having a squad top heavy with players past their peak, and consequently with little resale value. We have four or five players perhaps at their peak, who could fetch the maximum value they would whilst at our club. Previously we have rumoured (and I'm aware they are only rumours) to have rejected good bids for Lees, Westwood, Forestieri and Bannan...since those bids were rejected, only Bannan's value will have increased.

It just doesn't seem like a sensible business approach to blindly and stubbornly reject bids for our good players. A successful club should ALWAYS be looking to evolve. At the minute, we'll find it very hard to continue that evolution, because of the FFP restrictions placed upon ourselves.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, frastheowl said:

I don't necessarily agree with that.

I personally think our stubborn "No player for sale" stance, is directly contributing to the current impasse with our financial situation. 

No club outside and Premier League (or without the aid of parachute payments) can continue to buy players at the rate and expense we have, without balancing the books.

Of course, none of us would LIKE to lose a Hooper, a Lee, a Forestieri or a Lees... but had we brought in £5-10m selling a couple of these types of players, we'd be in a much better position now to strengthen our squad with a freshness I think we require. 

We're currently very close to having a squad top heavy with players past their peak, and consequently with little resale value. We have four or five players perhaps at their peak, who could fetch the maximum value they would whilst at our club. Previously we have rumoured (and I'm aware they are only rumours) to have rejected good bids for Lees, Westwood, Forestieri and Bannan...since those bids were rejected, only Bannan's value will have increased.

It just doesn't seem like a sensible business approach to blindly and stubbornly reject bids for our good players. A successful club should ALWAYS be looking to evolve. At the minute, we'll find it very hard to continue that evolution, because of the FFP restrictions placed upon ourselves.

I know what you mean.

But with two top 6 finishes

15965813_10155313366236111_8142189004722464429_n.jpg.c2160cfde35f2debd9d852e98d54b2d6.jpg

Clearly think it's worth keeping the squad together as it is for at least this season again. 

And they'd probably argue the case that previous seasons have proved the club is doing the right thing. 

Personally there's a couple of players we could do without.  But if we let them go to bring new players in.....we end up in a similar situation anyway  but with different faces.

Just now, Lord Snooty said:

I know what you mean.

But with two top 6 finishes

15965813_10155313366236111_8142189004722464429_n.jpg.c2160cfde35f2debd9d852e98d54b2d6.jpg

Clearly think it's worth keeping the squad together as it is for at least this season again. 

And they'd probably argue the case that previous seasons have proved the club is doing the right thing. 

Personally there's a couple of players we could do without.  But if we let them go to bring new players in.....we end up in a similar situation anyway  but with different faces.

They're almost forced into this approach now though.

It's putting all your eggs in one basket.

Next season, Hooper will be 31, Fletcher also. Rhodes will be 29, Bannan also. Kieran Lee 30. Westwood 34. Wallace 33. Boyd 33. Loovens 35. Abdi 32. Jones 34.  

That's 11 players, of which nine will be regulars throughout this season, who will be past their peak, their values diminishing and performances, are likely to follow suit. 

That's where our disregard to selling and cashing in on value has got us to. 

We're now overly reliant on these players, because there'll be little or no scope to move them on for values that would allow us to replace them adequately. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

Next season, Hooper will be 31, Fletcher also. Rhodes will be 29, Bannan also. Kieran Lee 30. Westwood 34. Wallace 33. Boyd 33. Loovens 35. Abdi 32. Jones 34.  

That's 11 players, of which nine will be regulars throughout this season, who will be past their peak, their values diminishing and performances, are likely to follow suit. 

We're now overly reliant on these players, because there'll be little or no scope to move them on for values that would allow us to replace them adequately. 

Again, I agree.  

But that's the way he wants to do it. 

If we go up by whatever means he'll see it as a plan well executed and those ageing players will no doubt just be seen as natural wastage as we swim in an ocean of Premier League dosh!

As you say though if it doesn't come off....

6 hours ago, torryowl said:

they could move them on tomorrow if they paid them off .......what club in there right mind would sign abdi &matias  give them they wages they get here with the injury record they have .........how would you suggest we can get rid of say those 2 and maybe a couple more who don't figure much .

I didn’t mention those two as they are injured. Although the signing or re-signing of players such as Nuhiu, Abdi, Jones, Boyd who add depth and little else with minimal resale value is a problem anyone could’ve forseen. 

Players like Winnall where you buy potential and sell for higher is the way to go in future (hopefully). Otherwise we will end up needing to sell key players to keep things fresh.

2 hours ago, frastheowl said:

at least 6 possibly 7 of the 11 were free transfers so we don't really have to budget resale value in on them as we could let them go at the end of there contracts and come out even .that's not bad business to get 6 or 7 experienced players who from most of them we've had good service from ......of those we paid for .I think we'd be a weaker team without hooper and bannan so I wouldn't be looking to get rid of them yet .Rhodes hopefully looks like he's starting to shape up so he's worth keeping ..abdi 's a crock so we've bombed on him.......FF  is the stand out if we want to recoup some serious money but is selling arguably your best player the way to go about finishing in the top 6 .we will also make a killing on winnall and hirst should fetch in a decent sum ........by the way you forgot pudil of your list 

3 minutes ago, fred mciver said:

Gotta say, I would have snapped Boro's hands off for Westy at £ 5 million this Summer.

Of course, squad size and quality / balance is important - but so is refreshing the team.

And we are still short in a couple of vital areas - pace and midfield destroyer, for example

I think you could give carlos as much money  as he wanted and he wouldn't sign a midfield destroyer .... he seems to favour someone like hutch or jones to sit and protect the back four rather than someone who roams about hammering the opposites all over the park .