ASK THE CHAIRMAN PART 7: WHY DOES THE CLUB NOT SELL PLAYERS

In today’s part of the chairman’s extensive Q&A with supporters, Mr Chansiri explains the club’s policy on the potential of players leaving Hillsborough.

Why does the club not sell players?

When I first came to Sheffield Wednesday, it was clear that the squad was not equipped to challenge for promotion as there was insufficient depth. We had good players but if we had injuries, suspension or a player was just out of form, we did not always have the right kind of quality to cover. 

So moving forward, the strategy was and remains to have two players for each position in the squad. Looking at the squad we have now, this is something we feel we have achieved. It is also very important that Carlos has a lot of options and can also rest, rotate or cover players if he wishes to. We will not achieve this by selling players. 

Even if we wanted to sell, that is something far from straightforward. Anyone who thinks selling, buying or even loaning a player is a simple process is mistaken. Any deal depends on a minimum of three parties - the two clubs and the player - and that is before the involvement of agents. All parties have to be satisfied, which is never easy and the reason why many transfers fall through.

It is simple for anyone to say ‘sell this player’ or ‘move that player on’ but in reality it is difficult. Take, for example, if the player and the club believe it would be in the interest of both parties for the player to find a new club whilst still under contract. Perhaps we try and reach a compromise agreement, or a deal whereby the player leaves by mutual consent. But even this is difficult if the player asks for a severance payment to leave despite having found a new club and a new contract, so he is actually earning double.

In any event, football is not like any other business. Generally, companies can release certain people who do not fit in for whatever reason, or who wish to leave of their own accord. In football this is not possible because of contracts. This is why recruitment is very important and I believe our strategy is correct. With the first team players we have, it is an excellent squad, with players challenging each other and good options for Carlos all over the pitch. 

Many people say we have some of the best strikers in the Championship and that is because we have recruited well. When I arrived, we did not have the quality and number of strikers we have now and if you do not score the goals, you will not get promoted. We saw last season the need for strength in depth up front - and all over the pitch for that matter - when we suffered injuries and I believe with the quality and experience in our squad now, we are giving ourselves the best chance of promotion.

There is a certain kind of gamble with every stage of recruitment, in or out, but if one thing is certain it is that these days you must have a bigger squad than ever before with as much quality as possible. If we were to sell players, we would be going backwards and hindering our chances of reaching the Premier League.

Finally, it should also be noted that the recruitment strategy of Football League clubs has changed since the removal of the emergency loan window. This means we must ensure our squad is the best it can possibly be before the transfer window closes because after that there is no room for manoeuvre for some time. And like any club, if we did sell a player, we must replace with someone of at least the same quality and that can be a difficult task in itself.

I like the fact that DC is answering questions but I think this answer is disingenuous . We know it can be difficult to sell players but it isn't that difficult, other clubs manage it. Infact whenever a player is bought, another club has, by definition, manage to sell him.

We are at the limits of FFP so if we want to improve the squad we are going to have to sell players to raise the money to refresh and strengthen the squad. We should embrace that fact and make a positive out of it. If we can sell 1 player who is in demand and buy 2 players to strengthen weaker areas then that must be a good thing.

I can accept it's hard to shift deadwood where they are on long contracts at big wages. Not surprisingly the player won't move for less money and any new club won't want to pay the high wages we pay. The lesson to be learned from this should be that we need to buy younger players with a sell on potential rather than players who are in their later years.

The transfer of players in and out of the club is one area where we do seem to have problems, it needs a serious overhaul if we want to progress. We've picked up some good bargains but we have bought a fair few who are on their last legs

I'm still positive about the effect DC has had on the club and appreciate his attempt to answer the fans questions. This post is more constructive criticism rather than me having a dig.  

Edited by prowl

5 minutes ago, offalyowl said:

Still doesn't explain why we signed  players just to have them pick up a wage and never play and sit in the stand every week 

Well he has really.  Two players for every position.

That's 22 minimum. Only 11 picked to start. 

Some are going to sit out if the manager picks the other ahead of them especially if the team is in decent form or there's a balance the manager likes. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, prowl said:

I like the fact that DC is answering questions but I think this answer is disingenuous . We know it can be difficult to sell players but it isn't that difficult, other clubs manage it. Infact whenever a player is bought another club has, by definition, manage to sell him.

Depends on whether they want to sell.

If him and Carlos are happy with who they have...they won't offload them. Or even look to will they?

Clubs sell players for loads of reasons. Some to free up squad room. Some to trim wage bills. Or even pay a bill!

Look at ourselves not so long ago.

DC says we need two players for every position , but we clearly have some players who arnt able to put pressure on others in the team for a shirt and never play .

What is the point of having players who contribute nothing to the team ? 

11 minutes ago, offalyowl said:

Still doesn't explain why we signed  players just to have them pick up a wage and never play and sit in the stand every week 

exactly. our transfer policy isn't good ,how can signing vennachio on loan be a player in this 2 for 1 position when if lees gets injured how on earth can vennachio cover that position when he has no game time whatsoever and don't even get a run out with u23s .I'm all for signing players who are at a younger age than what we have signed and also players who are capable of playing in more than 1 position ie if we signed a new right back that could also play right wing if needed or a centre half that could cover midfield too ,a striker what could play on wing if needed ,rather than sign players who not only are stealing a wage but if ever needed wont be anywhere near match fit so totally a pointless signing . a few less urbys on 25k a week venanchio`s abdis and matias signings would mean we could knock a tenner off ticket prices and probably have a better squad for less money ,its about spending money more wisely than fleecing fans 

2 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

exactly. our transfer policy isn't good ,how can signing vennachio on loan be a player in this 2 for 1 position when if lees gets injured how on earth can vennachio cover that position when he has no game time whatsoever and don't even get a run out with u23s .I'm all for signing players who are at a younger age than what we have signed and also players who are capable of playing in more than 1 position ie if we signed a new right back that could also play right wing if needed or a centre half that could cover midfield too ,a striker what could play on wing if needed ,rather than sign players who not only are stealing a wage but if ever needed wont be anywhere near match fit so totally a pointless signing . a few less urbys on 25k a week venanchio`s abdis and matias signings would mean we could knock a tenner off ticket prices and probably have a better squad for less money ,its about spending money more wisely than fleecing fans 

Well, don't get fleeced then.

1 minute ago, S36 OWL said:

Dave 

Joao 

Vennachio 

Matais 

Abdi 

Dave - is a long-termed player kept for sentimental reasons 

Joao - will make many more appearances

Vennachio - You've scored a hit with him

Matias - Long-term injury issues now starting to knock on the door

Abdi - See Matais

I thank you

Guest Willow Owl
23 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

Why is he fleecing fans? 

I don't know why chansiri bothers answering these questions , he's given a plausible answer and still people say why arnt xyz getting games .jeez if abdi covers for bannan & fred covers for lees then how the feck are they expected to play if those 2 are ever presents .......