Leaving best player on bench for 90 minutes

Guest RocketOwl

23 minutes ago, hasthagotanycheese said:

I would say that Nando be being on the bench but not playing is a pretty big indication that he will be sold on or before deadline day. Hope not because he was fantastic in his first season with us. But big wages + decent transfer value + being a disruptive influence vs us bumping up against FFP rules + screaming out for some pace in the team equals a sale in my book.

I'm not ITK by any means, but we always seem to do some business right at the death. Knowing how the season's started & it's our 3rd proper crack at promotion, I'll wager DC / CC have got some irons in fires. Always been discreet too. Sell to buy maybe, but not beyond the realms of possibility.

Quite right to not start him, I'm surprised he even got on the bench. He's a definite talent but that isn't enough, he needs to find that hunger again if he's going to stay.

The answer to this is a no brainer....

1. Kept the same winning side as the Fulham game

2. Westwood's injury brought us 1 sub down to make a tactical change

3. Wallace came on for a tactical change

4. Rhodes came on because he scored 2 in the week

No room for Fessi because we were one sub down.......

Duh!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lionel Fessi said:

Starting Hooper & Fletcher together was the right decision today, our problem is that which ever pair we play only seem to score goals together for 1 or 2 games, after that its back to square one again.

When Hooper and Fletch play together one nearly always score.

Last few games...

Rovrum Fletch 2

Newcastle Fletch 1

Cardiff 0

Derby Fletch 1 Hoops 1

Ipswich 0

Fulham Fletch 1

Burton Hoops 1

Chesterfield both....but ok that doesn't really count.

By  any standard that is a partnership. 7 in 7. 9 in 8 with Chesterfield.

Look elsewhere for the problems.

Edited by Holmowl

22 minutes ago, Ash77 said:

If cc was seriously going for a win, which budget gulf wise alone we should have done, he would have brought ff on for fox and switched to diamond with ff behind rhodes n hooper, running beyond or pulling wide.

Instead he moved deckchairs on titanic sticking with flat 442 without proper wingers because he was scared to lose.

I would rather lose the odd point by going for 2 extra, its not the old serie a where its 2 points a win! 

Our approach seems slow, dull, predictable with a hint of cowardice going by tactics.

Last line bang-on.

He fears defeat far more than he strives for victory.

Terribly negative manager.

13 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

If cc was seriously going for a win, which budget gulf wise alone we should have done, he would have brought ff on for fox and switched to diamond with ff behind rhodes n hooper, running beyond or pulling wide.

Budget gulf wise then we should beat every team barring Villa, wolves, sunderland, middlesborough, Hull, Norwich.

big budgets dont win games

I'd have liked FF to come on, but I think he would've done if Westwood hadn't needed to come off.

At the time we looked like we were forcing a winner and that needed two things, someone to keep putting crosses in the box and someone to get on the end of them. Wallace and Rhodes. 

We had a clear team structure today which by that stage of the game was still working and had Burton camped in their own half at 1-1 bar the last 5 mins. It wasn't pretty but everyone was doing their jobs in a disciplined way. Had we introduced FF or Matias then we become less predictable but that works both ways. Burton were struggling to cope with our organised approach for long spells and relied on many last ditch headers, including one off the line. So it made sense to keep that up.

Not popular if you are Fernando but I don't think he'd have got much space at the end of that game.

Edited by Bluesteel
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

When Hooper and Fletch play together one nearly always score.

Last few games...

Rovrum Fletch 2

Newcastle Fletch 1

Cardiff 0

Derby Fletch 1 Hoops 1

Ipswich 0

Fulham Fletch 1

Burton Hoops 1

Chesterfield both....but ok that doesn't really count.

By  any standard that is a partnership. 7 in 7. 9 in 8 with Chesterfield.

Look elsewhere for the problems.

Selective with your games...wonder who our most winningest pairing is upfront?

Either way Rhodes is out and out the best striker we've got, we need either  a change of tactics or change of manager because we have the best natural goal scorer in the football league at our disposal and he isn't scoring goals and we aren't winning games. I'm certain getting the best out of him is a solution to our problems.

2 minutes ago, Lionel Fessi said:

Selective with your games...wonder who our most winningest pairing is upfront?

Either way Rhodes is out and out the best striker we've got, we need either  a change of tactics or change of manager because we have the best natural goal scorer in the football league at our disposal and he isn't scoring goals and we aren't winning games. I'm certain getting the best out of him is a solution to our problems.

"Selective".....I don't understand.

Thats every game they have started in up top since Hoops returned from injury.

56 minutes ago, iliveinthenow said:

The answer to this is a no brainer....

1. Kept the same winning side as the Fulham game

2. Westwood's injury brought us 1 sub down to make a tactical change

3. Wallace came on for a tactical change

4. Rhodes came on because he scored 2 in the week

No room for Fessi because we were one sub down.......

Duh!!!

In a situation like like that i'd bring on FF 100% of the time

He is that impish maverick that may just provide the spark in a tight game

If it was about nodding in a cross then i'm pretty sure Fletch or Hoops would have done that anyway

Rhodes doesn't alter that way we play nor disrupt the opposition beyong what's already on the pitch for us

FF may well do that