Two things have me stumped

2 minutes ago, GoldGigsChris said:

So CC targets who he wants and DC decides whether he pays the cash?

I've heard other managers say that the chairman asks them to give them names and values against them. Then the chair/negotiator gets the best player from them list for the best money.   Do you reckon that's happening here?

As discussed heavily above, I've also heard CC saying that he picks who we buy, but I'm also not sure whether I believe him or not.

I think that's the normal way of doing things. The manager gives a list of preferences and then it's up to the guys above to go and explore it. 

DC will then have the final say on whether to sanction it. Again normal, but at some clubs it isn't just the money being sanctioned. I don't know if that happens here but as per my previous post I think some signings are chairman led based on fan feedback.

52 minutes ago, vulva said:

The team, squad and club is going to have to take 1 step back to take 2 steps forward. 

We need a clear out, starting with FF. Some youth, energy needed etc. Ship out or pay off the likes of FF, Nuhui, Joao, Matias, Abdi, McGugan etc and get a load of kids out on loan. Might take us a season to adjust, but the squad needs to evolve. It's stale. We played well 2nd half yesterday, but this team peaked around the time of the playoff semis against Brighton, and we haven't got any better, whilst those around us have. 

Weve re come a long way in the last 3 years. It's time to kick on again. 

Said this half way through the close season, the squad is bloated in some areas and embarrassingly inadequate in others. 

A cull is needed to remove the dead wood, free up wages and bring in funds for much need overhaul.

11 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I think this might be right. I was happy to keep things together in the summer on the basis that there was the opportunity to bring in 4/5 players and keep things fresh.

I think CC has tried to change things and whilst he is due criticism he now gets the kitchen sink thrown at him. You never really know the reaction to two play off defeats but so far we don't look as robust as Brighton did.

On the one hand I think let's see where we are at after the window closes and a stronger defence may help. On the other I just think that the majority of fans have reached that point where it is bordering on unhealthy for the club and a change of manager whether it is Carlos's fault or not, might reduce the tension levels somewhat during games.

For me, the Carlos thing is a classic head/heart decision. Heart tells me that he has been a brilliant appointment, and we've had a really good and exciting 2 years.

Although we were coming off a low starting point, and we've spent a few quid, no one can deny he's done a good job. Also a very nice bloke and people like nice blokes to do well, and it's certainly bought him time. Dave Jones would have been here a lot longer if he'd had a similar personality. 

The 'head' part of the equation is that he's taken us as far as he can and its time for a 'method' manager like Pardew, McCarthy. A manager with the ability to grind out points and get us over the line. 

I fear for Carlos if we have a heavy  defeat. Fulham away on Saturday, against a promotion rival is a huge game for so many reasons. 

Edited by vulva

4 minutes ago, vulva said:

For me, the Carlos thing is a classic head/heart decision. Heart tells me that he has been a brilliant appointment, and we've had a really good and exciting 2 years.

Although we were coming off a low starting point, and we've spent a few quid, no one can deny he's done a good job. Also a very nice bloke and people like nice blokes to do well, and it's certainly bought him time. Dave Jones would have been here a lot longer if he'd had a similar personality. 

The 'head' part of the equation is that he's taken us as far as he can and its time for a 'method' manager like Pardew, McCarthy or Megson . A manager with the ability to grind out points and get us over the line. 

I fear for Carlos if we have a heavy  defeat. Fulham away on Saturday, against a promotion rival is a huge game for so many reasons. 

Nail on head fella.

Just now, Mishowl said:

I wouldn't know about any issues the committee caused but that was a long time ago and there have been an awful lot of poor signings since then.

I'm not buying this Rhodes was "gift" thing. Carlos said again last night that we are now in a position where we can't pay a fee for a player. Are we really suggesting DC blew £10m and the last of the FFP budget on a player and CC wasn't involved? 

I don't think CC should've had an issue with Rhodes signing. Why would he? But we had signed several strikers previously and there was a clamour from outside the club to get him and I suspect DC followed suit. 

CC hinted again last night that we never spent the fees quoted in the press but I think there will have been an element of thought that Rhodes would be the man to get us up. 

Either way whoever made the decision to spend 70% of our budget on strikers needs to have a rethink.

I like CC but one question keeps bugging me.

Would any of the top managers in the Championship get us promotion with this squad of players ?

Now, you could argue who the top managers are, IMO i'd be looking at the likes of, Steve Bruce, Ian Holloway, Mick McCarthy, Neil Warnock, Gary Monk, Simon Grayson, Gary Rowett, Slavisa Jokanovic, the list goes on.

Completely hypothetical of course but I'd have to say that with this squad at least a couple of the names mentioned (If not Most) would take us to the next level.

23 minutes ago, vulva said:

The 'head' part of the equation is that he's taken us as far as he can and its time for a 'method' manager like Pardew, McCarthy. A manager with the ability to grind out points and get us over the line. 

Would you have Bruce if Villa sacked him?

14 minutes ago, modboy said:

Any attacking manager would get more out of our team.

You just have to see how well we played in the second half when we were more positive. All this first half keeping things tight nonsense is hamstringing us

This is what baffles me. It's like last season. We're too defensive for long periods of a game, usually the first 60 minutes. It cost us in the playoffs against Udders in the first leg. We are poor defensively but have a midfied and forward line to frighten any team. It's a question of using your resources to best effect. We can't defend so have to score more than the opposing team. The Kevin Keagan method. 

Edited by doubleo
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, vulva said:

17 minutes ago, modboy said:

Any attacking manager would get more out of our team.

You just have to see how well we played in the second half when we were more positive. All this first half keeping things tight nonsense is hamstringing us

The OP plus the above two sum the whole thing up perfectly for me. Why we can't play more than 45 minutes (and in many cases it's more like 20-30 mins in reality) of our own brand of attacking football is absolutely beyond me. 

There's too much talent in this squad to play in such an overly cautious, overly respectful way. The lack of entertainment value is the final aspect but it doesn't even produce sufficient results to warrant sticking with.

9 hours ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

Why would he lie?

To deflect potential criticism of others, it's another of his qualities imo

Some right poo being spouted in this thread, I could quote and respond to them all but what the point? Better things t do with my time 

2 minutes ago, modboy said:

why we don't start fast and score a couple before keeping it tight I will never understand.

Instead we let teams gain a foothold in the game and then lack the ability to score more than once as they have shut up shop.

Only cc can change this, it was apparent all last season and he didn't so don't see much hope this season although we have reached the play offs twice so maybe he works on averages