The hilarious changes in opinion on players

1 hour ago, No 2 is r nilsson said:

Yes I think that's how I see him - old school striker, albeit a good one. With a good pre-season and some confidence I think he'll play this role, maybe fighting for a starting role with Fletch.  Like you say I think if we could find the 'genius' midfield general and drop Hutch into ch we might have the missing piece. 

Rhodes has done OK when playing the Fletcher role, but for that sort of money, I'd be looking at someone doing a lot better. It isn't what he's good at, but we don't have a role that suits him. Forestieri and Hooper are preferred in the ten role, because of their ability to link midfield. Joao would be better in the Fletcher role, than Rhodes. A wasted signing, on what we've seen so far

4 minutes ago, The Coorong Owl said:

Maybe judas isn't the right word. Paying top dollar is a common thing in the world these days for many things and it's surprising how little satisfaction people get from spending it. People buy porches and constantly complain about them as well. Chose your mindset in life. Mines being grateful for what I have. For the record it cost me about 10 plus season tickets to watch Wednesday play this season on tv. I've also flown over many many times to see us lose. 

I've no complaint about my porch. The builder did a great job. 

8 minutes ago, The Coorong Owl said:

Maybe judas isn't the right word. Paying top dollar is a common thing in the world these days for many things and it's surprising how little satisfaction people get from spending it. People buy porches and constantly complain about them as well. Chose your mindset in life. Mines being grateful for what I have. For the record it cost me about 10 plus season tickets to watch Wednesday play this season on tv. I've also flown over many many times to see us lose. 

Not doubting you're support for the club mate , it costs me an arm and a leg as well it was just the Judas comment I was quoting. UTO

10 minutes ago, Andoverowl said:

Not doubting you're support for the club mate , it costs me an arm and a leg as well it was just the Judas comment I was quoting. UTO

All good. I didn't mean to offend. As I said probably the wrong word for what I was trying to say. No offence intended

31 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Rhodes has done OK when playing the Fletcher role, but for that sort of money, I'd be looking at someone doing a lot better. It isn't what he's good at, but we don't have a role that suits him. Forestieri and Hooper are preferred in the ten role, because of their ability to link midfield. Joao would be better in the Fletcher role, than Rhodes. A wasted signing, on what we've seen so far

Can't disagree with this on what we've seen (although I think he's done more than many on here give him credit for) but let's give him a chance. I'm hoping next year Hoops and Nando can have full seasons so the no 9 isn't so isolated and we bring in someone with a bit of pace to get behind the full backs (and who can deliver) and I think the need for the Fletch role will be less and we'll see what JR can do. 

39 minutes ago, No 2 is r nilsson said:

Can't disagree with this on what we've seen (although I think he's done more than many on here give him credit for) but let's give him a chance. I'm hoping next year Hoops and Nando can have full seasons so the no 9 isn't so isolated and we bring in someone with a bit of pace to get behind the full backs (and who can deliver) and I think the need for the Fletch role will be less and we'll see what JR can do. 

I wish I had your confidence, and I agree, Rhodes has done OK in a role that simply doesn't suit him. Unless we are going to change the way we play, and there's no evidence that we are going to do that, then there are two forward roles available. One is the one that Hooper and Forestieri play, in between the lines, linking midfield and attack. The other is target man, or leader of the line. Rhodes isn't suited to either of those roles. Is it your belief that Rhodes can eventually take on the role Fletcher currently occupies? People think he could, and would add goals to the role. However, even in that respect, Fletcher was the one more likely to score.

I think it's slightly fanciful that Rhodes can adapt to that role, when all the evidence suggests to him playing up front, alongside a target man. We just don't play that way

22 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I wish I had your confidence, and I agree, Rhodes has done OK in a role that simply doesn't suit him. Unless we are going to change the way we play, and there's no evidence that we are going to do that, then there are two forward roles available. One is the one that Hooper and Forestieri play, in between the lines, linking midfield and attack. The other is target man, or leader of the line. Rhodes isn't suited to either of those roles. Is it your belief that Rhodes can eventually take on the role Fletcher currently occupies? People think he could, and would add goals to the role. However, even in that respect, Fletcher was the one more likely to score.

I think it's slightly fanciful that Rhodes can adapt to that role, when all the evidence suggests to him playing up front, alongside a target man. We just don't play that way

I think Rhodes could play that role but others (like Fletch) probably do it better. Rhodes is brilliant at finding a yard of space around the box. Defenders don't know where he is half the time. We're wasting this talent if he's picking up the ball just over the half way line so like you say we have to play to his strengths. We saw this against Norwich when he ghosted between their defenders for that diving header, and he created the goals against Cardiff and qpr (both vital in the run in).  Don't know if we should play him with a target man, but certainly with others around him who can break with more pace and deliver balls into those positions. 

40 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

I trust carlos quite a bit more than owlstalk.

But then again owlstalk is a lot more vocal and louder in its opinions..maybe we should have an internet poll each week to pick the team.

Yes, I think our club is in good hands, from the chairman down Mistakes can still be made though

Its reflects the day and age we live in - instant gratification, money etc

Fans want success and quickly, players get paid a fortune so we expect consistency and value for money.  Very little patience is demonstrated as a result.

Player loyalty also a lot less than it used to be which is also a factor IMO. There just isn't that connection between fans and players as there once was.

It would be interesting to go back in time and see fans attitudes and behaviours toward players in the 1930's and 40's etc.

Totally different game, rewards then and subsequently fans expectations for players was probably very different too.

Most Players also earned a similar wage to the man in the street so fans polrobably felt they had far more in common with players than they do now

Edited by Earlsfieldowl

2 hours ago, Andoverowl said:

2 hours ago, The Coorong Owl said:

All good. I didn't mean to offend. As I said probably the wrong word for what I was trying to say. No offence intended

get a room you two!!!!

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Flipping hope we do as its going to be painful on the eyes again if not. We have a terrific asset in Rhodes but he thrives on chances and half chances. I don't say build a team round him (or indeed any one player) but I hope that the summer will see a change in approach and also a couple players with pace coming in to give all our strikers more to feed on.

4 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

but this is a problem when people criticise owlstalk, some people read it as though we have one collective opinion. You're hearing differing views its not like its a bipolar fan changing his mind all of the time.

Yep; by and large posters stick to their opinions and will defend them at all costs rather than the same posters flipping from one extreme to the other.

1 hour ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

Its reflects the day and age we live in - instant gratification, money etc

Fans want success and quickly, players get paid a fortune so we expect consistency and value for money.  Very little patience is demonstrated as a result.

Player loyalty also a lot less than it used to be which is also a factor IMO. There just isn't that connection between fans and players as there once was.

It would be interesting to go back in time and see fans attitudes and behaviours toward players in the 1930's and 40's etc.

Totally different game, rewards then and subsequently fans expectations for players was probably very different too.

Most Players also earned a similar wage to the man in the street so fans polrobably felt they had far more in common with players than they do now

Imagine the expactancy levels next season. Its gonna be insane.

I would say theres a small minority of fans sharpening their swords as we speak.

Expectations , to a certain extent go up with the expense of watching, allied to the fact that we have been near on twice, 

Rhodes?...Well I wasn't sure before...now 10 mill seems a lot for a lad that hasn't hit the ground running...

Having said that...I'm glad Carlos has stayed, and with a bit more help and nous in the recruitment area..we should be up there again...

Bloody automatic this time tho..I can't cope with the pressure.

Its been a funny season, I was glad it was over the other  week..now I'm already bored to f.ook.

I think they should have a day at Hillsborough, during the summer, when you can just wander in at any time of the day..Just to sit there without any pressure, watchin' the sprinklers..the pigeons flittin' about, the hum of distant traffic..a sorta contemplative time...

No doubt I woul;d be sat next to some f.ooker shoutin' at a pigeon.."Call that flyin' you useless f.........................................!!!!!!!!!!!!

15 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

Expectations , to a certain extent go up with the expense of watching, allied to the fact that we have been near on twice, 

Rhodes?...Well I wasn't sure before...now 10 mill seems a lot for a lad that hasn't hit the ground running...

Having said that...I'm glad Carlos has stayed, and with a bit more help and nous in the recruitment area..we should be up there again...

Bloody automatic this time tho..I can't cope with the pressure.

Its been a funny season, I was glad it was over the other  week..now I'm already bored to f.ook.

I think they should have a day at Hillsborough, during the summer, when you can just wander in at any time of the day..Just to sit there without any pressure, watchin' the sprinklers..the pigeons flittin' about, the hum of distant traffic..a sorta contemplative time...

No doubt I woul;d be sat next to some f.ooker shoutin' at a pigeon.."Call that flyin' you useless f.........................................!!!!!!!!!!!!

Watching the sprinklers seems a cracking day out, compared to some of last seasons trips to Hillsborough