Grant Hanley

The best centre half we could get is Roberts from Barnsley. However, I don't think we will spend anything this summer. Our budget has gone on Rhodes, and our activity will be free transfers and loans. 

12 minutes ago, vulva said:

We should sign that blond haired 17 year old kid that played centre half for Ajax against Man Utd. What a player he is going to be.  £50m for Stones, £50m for Sterling etc etc? The price for players in this country is bonkers. 

He would cost £25 million at least. 

I rated Hanley at Blackburn and actually quite like a big, physical, no nonsense centre half as it goes.

I'm not entirely convinced he and Lees would be the most complimentary partnership however. Would ideally like us to sign a CB who is comfortable with the ball at his feet. Our distribution from the back has been below par for some time now.

3 minutes ago, flo said:

He would cost £25 million at least. 

I know. Not saying we would get anywhere near, but what a player. Just highlighting the ludicrous market here for players. 

11 minutes ago, vulva said:

The best centre half we could get is Roberts from Barnsley. However, I don't think we will spend anything this summer. Our budget has gone on Rhodes, and our activity will be free transfers and loans. 

I see Villa are preparing a £5m bid for Roberts. 

I actually think signing players is going to be a real challenge this summer when you consider we're competing with Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Hull, Leeds, Norwich, Aston Villa, Derby etc. All fairly similar size clubs with ambitions to get promoted by spending money (edit: obviously hull are not a similar size club)

Edited by Southie_Owl

5 minutes ago, The Dukeries Owl said:

Spread a little sunshine why don't you!

lol

Not a problem as far as I'm concerned. We have a really strong core of players that are ours. We need to play the loan market better, like we have done in the past. If we can get a couple of impact players such as with Wickham, Jones, Carson etc, we might crack it. 

If we'd have had Tammy Abrahams last season, we would have gone up. Fine lines. 

44 minutes ago, Cosby Blunkett said:

I rated Hanley at Blackburn and actually quite like a big, physical, no nonsense centre half as it goes.

I'm not entirely convinced he and Lees would be the most complimentary partnership however. Would ideally like us to sign a CB who is comfortable with the ball at his feet. Our distribution from the back has been below par for some time now.

Looking at their attributes, Hanley and Hutchinson would be the perfect pairing, in a similar way to the Lees Loovens one. Those four to mix and match, would give us promotion style options at the back

4 minutes ago, Cosby Blunkett said:

I think this is a good point. I'm a fan of Bazza but it didn't work last year when he was picking the ball up under the feet of our centre halves instead of doing the damage in the attacking third. Would Maguire be an option? The little I saw of him on motd he looked like he could play (which I assume he learned after leaving the pigs)!  

1 hour ago, Cosby Blunkett said:

we have this in sasso already can't believe we going to let him go. good distribution heading pace and his reading of the game has improved ten fold in my opinion. rather than being told by loovens where to go he is pointing and telling his team mates now. ridiculous thinking about spending in this area when we have had one of the best defences in the league for years.

43 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

I see Villa are preparing a £5m bid for Roberts. 

I actually think signing players is going to be a real challenge this summer when you consider we're competing with Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Hull, Leeds, Norwich, Aston Villa, Derby etc. All fairly similar size clubs with ambitions to get promoted by spending money (edit: obviously hull are not a similar size club)

Its lucky we don't need as many as those clubs then

2 minutes ago, vulva said:

Not a problem as far as I'm concerned. We have a really strong core of players that are ours. We need to play the loan market better, like we have done in the past. If we can get a couple of impact players such as with Wickham, Jones, Carson etc, we might crack it. 

If we'd have had Tammy Abrahams last season, we would have gone up. Fine lines. 

It seems to be that the current management are quite good at gathering players (by numbers anyway) but we've yet to see if they are any good at selling off players to buy in other players to re-shape the squad. I think this season is the time to prove they are capable of doing the latter.

McGugan is a prime example of a player not in favour just being ignored and players like Emanuelson being paid a years wages for what?

1 hour ago, No 2 is r nilsson said:

I think this is a good point. I'm a fan of Bazza but it didn't work last year when he was picking the ball up under the feet of our centre halves instead of doing the damage in the attacking third. Would Maguire be an option? The little I saw of him on motd he looked like he could play (which I assume he learned after leaving the pigs)!  

watching him mate last season I think someone in the premier league will snap him up 

38 minutes ago, owls_wawaw said:

watching him mate last season I think someone in the premier league will snap him up 

Yes I think Maguire would fetch the best part of £10m now. He's improved no end these last couple of seasons

2 minutes ago, owls_wawaw said:

we have this in sasso already can't believe we going to let him go. good distribution heading pace and his reading of the game has improved ten fold in my opinion. rather than being told by loovens where to go he is pointing and telling his team mates now. ridiculous thinking about spending in this area when we have had one of the best defences in the league for years.

I agree. After he got the mistakes out of his system he improved enormously. He also has an eye for a goal and doesn't seem to mind being a third or fourth choice. 

12 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Looking at their attributes, Hanley and Hutchinson would be the perfect pairing, in a similar way to the Lees Loovens one. Those four to mix and match, would give us promotion style options at the back

You might be on to something.

Maybe Carlos is planning on moving Hutch back to CB? It would make sense that having let Sasso go, Sam would be our "ball playing" option at the back. 

It might also make financial sense; centre halves who are also technically gifted footballers cost serious money at this level, just look at the figures banded around for Dunk!

37 minutes ago, vulva said:

In the summer window that's not too bad. We don't want to become one of those clubs where the fans demand big transfer fees all the time...like Newcastle. 

39 minutes ago, Cosby Blunkett said:

You might be on to something.

Maybe Carlos is planning on moving Hutch back to CB? It would make sense that having let Sasso go, Sam would be our "ball playing" option at the back. 

It might also make financial sense; centre halves who are also technically gifted footballers cost serious money at this level, just look at the figures banded around for Dunk!

And Hutchinson is nowhere near as reckless at the back, as he can be in midfield. I'm sure we can pick up a quality loanee to perform Hutchinson's current duties in midfield, but maybe someone who is a little more comfortable going forward