Comparison with Brighton

27 minutes ago, dmw said:

We do not always rely on the possession based game. It depends on the circumstances in which we win possession. Carlos is one for transitions and the latter come in different kinds. If you win the ball back quickly after losing it, upfield as might happen with a gegenpress, the opposition will still be sitting deep. There is no break on so you keep possession and build. On the other hand, if you break up an opposition attack deep in your own half you can go for a fast break type transition which catches the other team out of their normal defensive formation, possibly with space to exploit behind their back line. We do try to do this but, as we saw in the first leg of the play off semi, it doesn't work if we are to deep and can't support our front men quickly enough.

This is when we use Forestieri on the left, he is brilliant at hanging in the space to pick up the ball.

23 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Brilliant post this. If you look at most teams that go up they have a settled side... we don't. Yes you can't allow for injurys but I do believe we have too many players and in the striking department too many of the same.

In all honesty I will get slated for saying this but I'd like a striker in this window... but I'd also like rid of 3/4 of the current ones.

Who out? And what type of striker in.? You're probably the only one saying it so was wondering what you had in mind.

3 hours ago, Holmowl said:

If you compare Nando, Wallace and Reach with Knockaert and Murphy, I don't see much difference. 

Remember, for over 20 matches we played with only one winger. Abdi and Bannan combined played wide and scored not one single goal between them in that role in half a season.

If Nando, Reach and Wallace are our two wingers for 46 games I don't see us falling short of second place. Bear in mind that two ex Prem wingers in Buckley and Macca could not take the shirt off Wallace, for all his modest pace.

Really ? Knockaert is miles better than FF with a ten times more committed attitude. Wallace is decent but ageing and Reach is weak minded. 

15 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Who out? And what type of striker in.? You're probably the only one saying it so was wondering what you had in mind.

Well someone with some pace in. A Gayle type.

Personally I think Winnall Rhodes and Hooper are too similar so all won't be required, Big Dave has to be one and Joao hasn't progressed. I'm not a Fletcher fan either but that's getting rid of the lot lol.

Forestieri isn't a winger that's why he can't really be compered to Knockaert and Carlos only puts him there when chasing or counter attacking teams. A commitment Forestieri in a just off the striker role would score 20+ goals next season. he is sacrificed alot out wide to accommodate 2 upfront and it's only his brilliance that makes it work out there.

He is major for us next season. He should have kicked on this season like Knockaert did and drove us to promotion.  ( At the start of the season there was a cigarette paper between them, now there miles apart.)  But off the field issues, injuries and the constant switching from wing to attack stoped him getting a rhythm. 

Simple. Find a way to get Fernando firing and we are going up.

Edited by pazowl55

4 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Hope you are right.

I would be so confident of success. Our Yorke, Cole, Sherringham, Solskjaer.

(I did have Google's help with one of the spellings!)

Should have used it for Sheringham's

1 hour ago, pazowl55 said:

Forestieri isn't a winger that's why he can't really be compered to Knockaert and Carlos only puts him there when chasing or counter attacking teams. A commitment Forestieri in a just off the striker role would score 20+ goals next season. he is sacrificed alot out wide to accommodate 2 upfront and it's only his brilliance that makes it work out there.

He is major for us next season. He should have kicked on this season like Knockaert did and drove us to promotion.  ( At the start of the season there was a cigarette paper between them, now there miles apart.)  But off the field issues, injuries and the constant switching from wing to attack stoped him getting a rhythm. 

Spot on. If Rhodes and Hooper up front, then FF playing in the hole behind them would be awesome. Also with the way Hooper plays would allow FF to make those forward runs. FF is not an out and out striker, so play him in the above role, or just let him play a free role. Either way, he makes us tick and we need to get him involved in more advanced attacking situations.

Only saw bits and bobs of Brighton but when they played us they went at it from the first minute till the last.

Hull did it to us at their place.

These teams that succeed seem to go at you like a train until they score.

When I listen to the away games we seem to get pressured all the time even at places like Bristol.

Next season hillsborough needs to be rocking and the football has to be quicker with more crosses into dangerous areas to get the crowd and players believing.

If we start off slow , give possession away and tippy tappy too much its probably playoffs. Which isn't bad I suppose but it's too much of a lottery and we have the players who can push for top two.

Edited by Eightace

2 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

Great post

Our wingers and strikers lack pace. Pace and creativity are what we lack.

But we need to mix it up and generate more partnerships, and have a more settled side.

We could do with some better and pacier full backs/wing backs as well.

I like the link up play and work-rate of the likes of Hutchinson; Lee, Forestieri and Hooper.

But we lack the ability to mix it up, some more pace would help this and players that can put in a good cross too.

Otherwise I'd consider changing formation next season, we came up slightly short last season due to the player recruitment,

we should have brought in players that fitted our style and our formation, instead we brought in some players that didn't fit and we tried to fit them in but couldn't.

So, any players we do bring in, need to fit our philosophy and system but also just as importantly improve us and not just be more back up players, hardly used effectively or at all.

We should look at bringing in some quality young top flight loanees or someone young and pacy or quality players at this level that will improve us.

If we get the summer recruitment right this time, we could challenge for top 2 next season but we need a more settled, pacier and balanced side.

1 hour ago, Eightace said:

Only saw bits and bobs of Brighton but when they played us they went at it from the first minute till the last.

Hull did it to us at their place.

These teams that succeed seem to go at you like a train until they score.

When I listen to the away games we seem to get pressured all the time even at places like Bristol.

Next season hillsborough needs to be rocking and the football has to be quicker with more crosses into dangerous areas to get the crowd and players believing.

If we start off slow , give possession away and tippy tappy too much its probably playoffs. Which isn't bad I suppose but it's too much of a lottery and we have the players who can push for top two.

Anyone see Spurs at Leicester the other night? I know we aren't that good but the desire to shoot was unbelievable. More shots more goals Capn! 

The biggest difference by far between us and Brighton is their physical players.

The centre halfs but far more importantly the centre midfielders.

They have 4 centre midfield players who are very strong, can run all day , win second balls and win tackles. Pick any two , Stephens, is the best of the 4, and they allow the wingers to stay wide.

No comparison with our lightweight midfield.