Comparison with Brighton

7 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

The reason I say this is because against Huddersfield proved that if they are fit they will all start, no matter what kind of run we have been on so the key is accommodating them in a way that works.

I see where you are coming from.

My easy answer is that Carlos is just wrong. Unless Hutch plays CB then only two of Lee, Baz and Hutch should play. I think 95% of us say the same.

But, if these three are Carlos's holy trinity, then yes I suppose it is far better to change the system to a much better balance. I loathe the idea of playing only one of our strikers though. If you look at what Brighton and Burnley did, they had two proper strikers and a regular goalscorer wide. They didn't compromise like we do. They scored shedloads and pulled way clear of the pack, us included.

Edited by Holmowl

2 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Rhodes and Hooper have to be our first choice pairing with Fletcher and Winnall on the bench. 

Hope you are right.

I would be so confident of success. Our Yorke, Cole, Sherringham, Solskjaer.

(I did have Google's help with one of the spellings!)

4 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

I see where you are coming from.

My easy answer is that Carlos is just wrong. Unless Hutch plays CB then only two of Lee, Baz and Hutch should play. I think 95% of us say the same.

But, if these three are Carlos's holy trinity, then yes I suppose it is far better to change the system to a much better balance. I loathe the idea of playing only one of our strikers though. If you look at what Brighton and Burnley did, they had two proper strikers and a regular goalscorer wide. They didn't compromise like we do. They scored shedloads and pulled way clear of the pack, us included.

I think he will tinker with the formation to accommodate the likes of Bannan, Hutchinson, Lee, Rhodes, Forestieri Hooper all players that will be key to getting us promoted next season.

Forestieri on the left is a must. I'd allow him to have a free role against the lesser teams which allows him to pick up space anywhere he wants. 

Against the better teams we will have to be more rigid but against teams like the promoted sides and the teams struggling at the wrong end of the table, how good would it be to see this:

Forestieri

Rhodes                         Hooper

Chelsea's formation is the only way I can see us accommodating all our must have players. 

Let's face it Carlos is not a flying wingers, that get to the touchline for the crosses sort of manager. His wide men cut in and the full backs provide the width, similar to the way Chelsea play with Hazard and Pedro cutting in. However we could change it slightly to allow Forestieri a free role behind the strikers.

Westwood 

Lees Loovens Hutchinson 

Hunt       Bannan   Lee        Reach 

Forestieri 

Rhodes         Hooper

Also allows change to this for tougher games.

Westwood 

Lees   Loovens   Sasso

Hunt    Hutchinson    Lee    Bannan

Wallace                Forestieri 

Fletcher 

Or if Carlos just can't resist the urge to play Bannan on the left.

25 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Hope you are right.

I would be so confident of success. Our Yorke, Cole, Sherringham, Solskjaer.

(I did have Google's help with one of the spellings!)

Obviously not Sheringham.

3 minutes ago, The Dukeries Owl said:

You should have checked the Norfolk seaside town as well :biggrin:

2 minutes ago, Tom Moore said:

Obviously not Sheringham.

Bugger.

Hope we never sign Yan Venigor of Hessalink

Watched MOwl's video compilation with care. Only ONE of the gals from FF came from when he was playing wide, and on that occasion he cut into the box, and shot from between the PA and the 6 yard box. Apart from long range shots, which were almost directly in line with the goals, his close range efforts came as 'snap-ups' whilst he was in the area. This makes him, for me, more of a Goal Striker/poacher rather than from off the wing.

Some of his wing runs have been superb, but I'm afraid that I see him more as the old-type Inside Forward than a winger.

7 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

Watched MOwl's video compilation with care. Only ONE of the gals from FF came from when he was playing wide, and on that occasion he cut into the box, and shot from between the PA and the 6 yard box. Apart from long range shots, which were almost directly in line with the goals, his close range efforts came as 'snap-ups' whilst he was in the area. This makes him, for me, more of a Goal Striker/poacher rather than from off the wing.

Some of his wing runs have been superb, but I'm afraid that I see him more as the old-type Inside Forward than a winger.

Last season 9 goals LW, 6 striker

This season 5 goals LW 7 goals striker

Despite over two thirds of his time being as striker.  He is better for himself and for the team from LW. He still gets into the six yard box!

2 hours ago, northeastowl said:

It's all well and good comparing us but we play nothing like each other.

Yes they are a rigid solid team like us but they attack with a plan.

if the early ball is on then it's quickly into the strikers or the channel. If not then they quickly get the ball to the winger who beats his man and whips a cross in to 3 players attacking it. 

We have maybe done that in a couple of games this season. We are a slow possession based team that try to break sides down but we don't have the creativity to do it. 

Will Carlos change, my opinion is no but most on here seem confident.

We do not always rely on the possession based game. It depends on the circumstances in which we win possession. Carlos is one for transitions and the latter come in different kinds. If you win the ball back quickly after losing it, upfield as might happen with a gegenpress, the opposition will still be sitting deep. There is no break on so you keep possession and build. On the other hand, if you break up an opposition attack deep in your own half you can go for a fast break type transition which catches the other team out of their normal defensive formation, possibly with space to exploit behind their back line. We do try to do this but, as we saw in the first leg of the play off semi, it doesn't work if we are to deep and can't support our front men quickly enough.

Brilliant post this. If you look at most teams that go up they have a settled side... we don't. Yes you can't allow for injurys but I do believe we have too many players and in the striking department too many of the same.

In all honesty I will get slated for saying this but I'd like a striker in this window... but I'd also like rid of 3/4 of the current ones.