Playoff preview - Daily Mail

1 hour ago, ViolaOwls said:

You can't say that pal.

nobody knows how it's going to work. 

Vw, merc, mini, Audi, BMW, fiat massive car industries your telling me in reverse those countries are not going to trade with us?

just another example. Trade will work both ways. That's for sure. Junker and co will back down. They need us more than we need them

Anyway got to dash, there's a que at the shop for today's mail play off supliment 

Viola, I hope you’re right with this statement but if the Tories head off into the Brexit negotiations in the sabre-rattling, fear-mongering attitude that they’re whipping up now, don’t you reckon the Europeans will counteract that with their own stubborn ‘You’re not pushing us around’ stance?

Get in to this situation and the talks, if they don’t collapse, could end up going on for years.

The Tory-led media will have people think otherwise but Corbyn has the capacity to put our case forward in a calm and collected manner, which I favour.

I’m not a leftie either and have got a lot of respect for the likes of yourself who’s given it a go with their own business – I couldn’t do that.

It’s the Tory lies and pandering to their puppet masters that’s the injustice – seven years ago we were ‘all in it together’ – some of us now are way deeper in IT than others.

Off topic Viola, do you sit on the Kop – there’s quite a few from Mosbrough that sit behind me – good lads too.

1 hour ago, F. Spiksley said:

Her legacy continues in many respects Viola. Not just Sheffield and S.York's she carved up the whole of the UK manufacturing base , destroyed Union powers and therefore workers rights diminished - whether an employee in a union or not.

She started the dismantling of our welfare state, and the impact of her approaches towards the NHS charted a course that is now irreversible (OK, I acknowledge the shitty PPI crap that Blair and Johnson inflicted on it - kicking a man when down so to speak).

She was hugely instrumental in commencing the first Gulf War (fast forward to today's consequences of meddling in geopolitics in the Middle East and we have the insular mindset of UKIPpers fearing ISIS tanks rocking up on their front lawns somewhere in Stoke).

Her attitude towards football was also interesting, worth looking into. In particular stadium controls ...

Today the UK makes nothing, offers the world nothing other than a financial centre in London which has the first signs of exodus starting now as a result of the leave vote narrowly prevailing. Once the banks decamp to a few economic bases in European cities then do not expect the US or China to help bail our poor nation out. They won't.

Anyway we can still have our Summer Fayre's on the village greens under May's stewardship I suppose.

Hey Ho....

little-britain-vomit-o.gif

Your bitterness towards Thatcher is clouding your judgement and a lot of what you say is out of date and extremely misleading.

You are perpetuating this myth that the UK makes nothing. I would therefore assume you have no links to British manufacturing.

Whilst the old monolithic heavy industries have declined, other sectors within the Engineering sector have more than replaced it with dramatic effect.

The automotive sector is through the roof, Jaguar Land Rover alone have extended their factory 4 times recently and have expanded their work force a number of times by a couple of thousand at a time. This is also the case with Nissan in Sunderland.

The Aerospace sector is a similar success story, with Bae Systems leading the way with hundreds of other companies working 24/7 to supply demand, not to mention all the smaller subcontractor's who act as second & third tier suppliers to them.

AMRC in Sheffield is a huge success story going from strength to strength and the other sites within the Catapult group replicating this success story.

The North West of England is an absolute cauldron of activity and growth with places like Burnley & Blackburn just exploding with new companies and investment.

Many companies who stopped taking on apprentices are now doing so. Tool making, which under periods of Labour governance was basically exported to China is now gradually re locating back here.

We need to stop perpetuating these myths, stop talking Britain down and move on. We are the skill centre of the world and World Champions of talking it down. 

24 minutes ago, Finney on the Wing said:

I hope you’re right with this statement but if the Tories head off into the Brexit negotiations in the sabre-rattling, fear-mongering attitude that they’re whipping up now,

Mm, but what are they supposed to do, when out of Brussels comes, 'the uk will be punished' the uk cannot be seen to flourish out of the eu, the uk owes £100B etc etc.

Corbyn would be well out of his depth, he can't influence his own party he can't influence the UK voters, so he absolutely no chance of getting a half decent deal. Really, can you imagine him, Abbot and Super Mac negotiating with the EU?.

I can get the remain argument, I can. But when you get rich and powerful people trying to overturn a democratic referendum result it would be a very dangerous road to be on.

Why would you trust, Miller, Branson, Clegg and that other lib guy?

11 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

Mm, but what are they supposed to do, when out of Brussels comes, 'the uk will be punished' the uk cannot be seen to flourish out of the eu, the uk owes £100B etc etc.

Corbyn would be well out of his depth, he can't influence his own party he can't influence the UK voters, so he absolutely no chance of getting a half decent deal. Really, can you imagine him, Abbot and Super Mac negotiating with the EU?.

I can get the remain argument, I can. But when you get rich and powerful people trying to overturn a democratic referendum result it would be a very dangerous road to be on.

Why would you trust, Miller, Branson, Clegg and that other lib guy?

Add to your last list May, who hid when Brexit was in full swing, who didn't even have to go out and win her own leadership as she was conveniently shuffled in to place as pm and who has been pretty anonymous in built up areas in this election campaign. Not too inspiring either, is she. (I agree with you, Abbott doesn't do herself any favours).

I voted remain, with my kids future in mind, but agree with the result and think we should go for the best.

I want us to come out of this on top too and, like BigthinRob says, we should be proud of our country, not a problem with that also BUT as with your statement in bold, we've got the rich also pulling the Tories strings in the negotiations whereas, whatever's decided finally, should be given to the people to ratify. The people wanted out, the people should decide at what price.

This government will not give you that option.

43 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

Your bitterness towards Thatcher is clouding your judgement and a lot of what you say is out of date and extremely misleading.

You are perpetuating this myth that the UK makes nothing. I would therefore assume you have no links to British manufacturing.

Whilst the old monolithic heavy industries have declined, other sectors within the Engineering sector have more than replaced it with dramatic effect.

The automotive sector is through the roof, Jaguar Land Rover alone have extended their factory 4 times recently and have expanded their work force a number of times by a couple of thousand at a time. This is also the case with Nissan in Sunderland.

The Aerospace sector is a similar success story, with Bae Systems leading the way with hundreds of other companies working 24/7 to supply demand, not to mention all the smaller subcontractor's who act as second & third tier suppliers to them.

AMRC in Sheffield is a huge success story going from strength to strength and the other sites within the Catapult group replicating this success story.

The North West of England is an absolute cauldron of activity and growth with places like Burnley & Blackburn just exploding with new companies and investment.

Many companies who stopped taking on apprentices are now doing so. Tool making, which under periods of Labour governance was basically exported to China is now gradually re locating back here.

We need to stop perpetuating these myths, stop talking Britain down and move on. We are the skill centre of the world and World Champions of talking it down. 

OK, I'll read up. I disagree somewhat of course, I'm not perpetuating myth IMHO.

We are becoming less influential as an economy. Long term the sectors you mentioned will decline as a result of global economic shifts as a direct result of brexit and current fiscal approaches, particularly if we get May for another five years.

1 minute ago, Lord Snooty said:

We can debate this all day chaps, but the simple truth remains...

Whoever fronts the facade doesn't really change the fact we're all at the mercy of the shape-shifting  lizard overlords!

Do you mean you Snooty?!!!! - I'd have never have thought it of you.

3 hours ago, ViolaOwls said:

Selby mmmmm

From mosborough. Went to my first match   When I was 2. Season ticket holder since 91. Don't ever question my support for this club. Been to more away matches than 90% on here have home. 

Leeds, was your mouth out

Norfolk Park then in the 1970s when the pigs were a top 6 side and we were at our lowest point.But we kept the faith.

Walked yo match boxing day 1979.

Enjoy your Mail today and hopefully your day tomorrow if we win.

Edited by selbyowls
grammer

Rule No1 of Owlstalk. If you're going to quote a media source for a Wednesday related article make sure it's either the Guardian or the Independent otherwise you'll get the thread hijacked and you'll forget what the thread was about in the first place.

This is Matchday Section, isn't it ?

14 minutes ago, Finney on the Wing said:

BUT as with your statement in bold, we've got the rich also pulling the Tories

You see, that is the bit you don't seem/want to understand the point I was making. The people I mentioned are trying to overturn a referendum result. In fact I'm well aware the tories also have rich and powerful people but they are not trying to overturn the referendum.

1 minute ago, sherlyegg said:

You see, that is the bit you don't seem/want to understand the point I was making. The people I mentioned are trying to overturn a referendum result. In fact I'm well aware the tories also have rich and powerful people but they are not trying to overturn the referendum.

Surely sherly (sorry, had to do that) you're not worried about an overturn actually happening!!

My concern is being bled dry for another five years by people who couldn't care less about us.

Just now, Finney on the Wing said:

Surely sherly (sorry, had to do that) you're not worried about an overturn actually happening!!

My concern is being bled dry for another five years by people who couldn't care less about us.

I'm not trying to be funny finney (sorry, had to do that). That is exactly what they are trying to do. The people will always be bled dry, some more than others. No foooker gives a poo about us, but some pretend to