93 Fa Cup Semi Final

On ‎10‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 12:53, ChinaOwl said:

To put it in perspective, there was a league game between the two clubs about two or three weeks later at Hillsborough. Kelly was roundly applauded by almost everyone on the Kop that night. Has there ever been an occasion in the history of Sheffield football when an opposing player has received an ovation like that? It just shows the extent that it was him against an absolute battering.

It was an amazing day - the relief when Bright scored unbelievable!!  I remember people just looking at each other with disbelief at half time that it was 1-1!!

Kelly was great that day, but can't remember him getting an ovation at the game a few weeks later.  Best ovation for an opposing keeper I've ever seen at Hillsborough was for Martin Hodge in the Leicester game after we won the league cup in 91.....no surprise he got that though!!  Thought at the time he's bound to let a few in - ended up 0-0!

4 hours ago, podski1 said:

It was an amazing day - the relief when Bright scored unbelievable!!  I remember people just looking at each other with disbelief at half time that it was 1-1!!

Kelly was great that day, but can't remember him getting an ovation at the game a few weeks later.  Best ovation for an opposing keeper I've ever seen at Hillsborough was for Martin Hodge in the Leicester game after we won the league cup in 91.....no surprise he got that though!!  Thought at the time he's bound to let a few in - ended up 0-0!

I did, of course, mean in Sheffield derby games, an opposition player getting such an ovation. It did happen and I can still remember much of that game as clear as day. United were attacking the Leppings Lane End in the first half and Kelly was roundly applauded all of the way to Kop End penalty area. In contrast, Woods received a less than satisfactory reception as he was walking toward the Lepp penalty area. And yes, Hodge did get a similar reception in the Leicester game just after the 91 League Cup Final victory but the circumstances were completely different. The crowd were still in party mood and an ex-owl was going to get a good reception, no matter what.

In retrospect it was a great great great day.

At the time it was hell.  Let no one tell you otherwise.

We really could have had five by 40'.  Then they scored with their only serious attack of the first half, right at the death.  So we'd had 45' of complete domination; and yet it was 1-1, and you'd always rather be the team that's equalised late than the team that led from the first minute.  That half time break was miserable.

And then 45' and 15' of chance after chance.  I remember the bloke next but one to me was there with his two kids.  He'd have been the age I am now, roughly.  He broke down after one of the missed extra time chances.  We're never going to do it.  And to be honest, it really felt like we wouldn't.  You know those games where you just can't imagine the ball going in.

But a happy ending.

Remember waking up a very fat very pissed very comatose pig when the tube reached King's X.  A nice mumsy Blade came up to me on the platform and thanked me.

The absolute joy that a friend had backed Esha Ness at 40s in the Grnad National. 

No shame at all that no one in our current team would get in that side: we were a top top side.  Think a side of the stature of the current Spurs team.  But Westwood and possibly Lees might have challenged.  And Lee, Hutch, FF, Hooper would not have been out of place in that squad. 

On 10/05/2017 at 12:52, modboy said:

they were in the league below at the time weren't they?

No we were both in the Premier League. Both clubs were founder members. 10:1 would have been about right. But be gentle with our junior club. Founded by the Sheffield Wednesday Chairman a generation after we were, they are really like our kids' team. And we were called the Blades until 1905, 6 years after the move to Hillsborough(Owlerton). Pity about those who support them!

Edited by Andrew Robinson

On 10/05/2017 at 11:09, darklord said:

Been watching extended higlights of us v Utd

Was it really as one sided as the highlights suggest?

Yes, in fact the highlights don't do is justice, if ever any grunting snort beast starts giving it large tell them to watch that game!!! They have and always will be in our shadow 

Guest Dusty Curtains
On 10/05/2017 at 11:15, ChinaOwl said:

It was a bit like that Viz cartoon when Billy the Fish played the foreign team on his own.

lol

Scores just before half time, signs for Bongo Gdaza during the interval, and immediately gets arrested for being a spy.