Almen 'The Professor' Abdi

Guest RocketOwl

I think the amount of time he's spent on our bench this season for a £4 million signing has been ridiculous.  That for me is either poor recruitment (he's not been good enough to get into our CM) or mismanagement (he is good enough, just hasn't been used there all season).

I doubt Abdi would be on the bench if he wasn't fit enough to play, or if he was injured.

Edited by Slick.

We are struggling in possession. 

What does Abdi bring to the table? Intelligence and speed of thought in possession.  

He's a playmaker.  

Exactly what we need.

Bannan is OK but he is not the professor.  

Edited by Bodhidharma

51 minutes ago, RocketOwl said:

So now the dust has settled on a lacklustre performance but much needed win, I guess like most I have been debating how we could improve performances. How do we get that fluidity back from last season?

We have lost that hunting in packs mentality we had from last season, the pressing of the ball, the fast attacks. It is all too predicable at the moment. Backwards, sideways, Loovens stands on the ball for 2 minutes back to Westwood. Last night only Fernando showed the appetite to win the ball back like we did last season. We need the rest of the team to show his work rate and pressing ability. Only Fernando looked to take a quick throw in or free kick.

One area that could help us immediately is to trust Abdi tn the centre of midfield. He is a centre midfielder. He has not been given any chance to show his worth in this position. I really don't think he could play worse than Jones did last night. Abdi is a clever player, will keep the ball and look to move forward. Bannan will be better too as Abdi can play the one two that Lee does.

On top of that we need Hooper back and linking the attacks. The reason our game has changed so much is this one touch fast football has stopped. It is not all Carlos fault as Hooper and Lee are big big components to this way of playing, his handling of Abdi is debatable.

To summarise I think this team would be as close to playing like last season as possible.

Westwood

Palmer - It shows how bad Hunt has got that Palmer is ahead of him.

Loovens

Lees

Reach - I think he is better at left back currently.

Wallace

Abdi

Bannan

Fernando

Hooper

Rhodes.

Hunt and Pudil need dropping for weeks until they get their form back. They have been embarrassing the last few weeks. No where near the standard they set themselves last season. Hunt looked feeble last night, absolutely pathetic. Whilst Pudil looks like his legs have gone.

I would love to see three at the back with lees looven and hutch

6 minutes ago, Bodhidharma said:

We are struggling in possession. 

What does Abdi bring to the table? Intelligence and speed of thought in possession.  

He's a playmaker.  

Exactly what we need.

Bannan is OK but he is not the professor.  

I think your right but I don't think he can play the role that bannan plays in the system we use at present ....I just don't see him playing just in front of the back four and having the legs to do the amount of running bannan does ...... you can only pick 11 and that 11 have to play to the script that the manager tells them .jones as been copping some lately but he gets picked because he plays how carlos wants him to play, that its a totally different way to how he played at burnley and derby doesn't seem to faze him and he fit's into the system perfectly .

Guest RocketOwl
16 minutes ago, owls_wawaw said:

I would love to see three at the back with lees looven and hutch

When Hutch plays we kind of do really.

This is why we need better full backs.

Abdi in a 4-4-2 alongside Hutch is fine. I don't think he would drop as deep as Bannan so we'd probably see an improvement. I don't think Abdi has played in midfield with Hutch there to do the dirty work apart from Rotherham when he went off early. General consensus there was that he started very brightly and was involved in most things.

I still think 4-2-3-1 away from home and 4-1-3-2 at home. Very little change to personnel and system. Abdi as the central player of the 3, Bannan competing for that spot. 

Going on the point someone raised the other day about Reach, I wouldn't mind us lining up like this away,

Westwood

Palmer  Lees Loovens Fox

Hutchinson  Reach

Wallace     Abdi    Forestieri 

Rhodes

At home,

Westwood 

Palmer    Lees Loovens   Fox 

Hutchinson 

Wallace       Abdi     Forestieri 

Hooper     Rhodes

1 hour ago, RocketOwl said:

So now the dust has settled on a lacklustre performance but much needed win, I guess like most I have been debating how we could improve performances. How do we get that fluidity back from last season?

We have lost that hunting in packs mentality we had from last season, the pressing of the ball, the fast attacks. It is all too predicable at the moment. Backwards, sideways, Loovens stands on the ball for 2 minutes back to Westwood. Last night only Fernando showed the appetite to win the ball back like we did last season. We need the rest of the team to show his work rate and pressing ability. Only Fernando looked to take a quick throw in or free kick.

One area that could help us immediately is to trust Abdi tn the centre of midfield. He is a centre midfielder. He has not been given any chance to show his worth in this position. I really don't think he could play worse than Jones did last night. Abdi is a clever player, will keep the ball and look to move forward. Bannan will be better too as Abdi can play the one two that Lee does.

On top of that we need Hooper back and linking the attacks. The reason our game has changed so much is this one touch fast football has stopped. It is not all Carlos fault as Hooper and Lee are big big components to this way of playing, his handling of Abdi is debatable.

To summarise I think this team would be as close to playing like last season as possible.

Westwood

Loovens

Lees

Wallace

Abdi

Bannan

Fernando

Hooper

Rhodes.

Hunt and Pudil need dropping for weeks until they get their form back. They have been embarrassing the last few weeks. No where near the standard they set themselves last season. Hunt looked feeble last night, absolutely pathetic. Whilst Pudil looks like his legs have gone.

This is about right m8....

Missing Hooper and Lee big time.. 

And would love to see that team have a run but missing Hutch...?

Westwood

Loovens

Lees

Wallace

Abdi

Bannan

Fernando

Hooper

Rhodes.

Terrific post imo. Thought through and well argued.

So much of what we did last season when we fielded a line-up like yours was great, but we had a few weak links, and your team strengthens in two of those areas, LB and Hooper's partner. And how!!!!Rhodes and Reach to replace Joao and Pudil. That's brilliant.

BUT....do you really think a Bannan-Abdi partnership could work? I am all for a creative engine-room, and love Lee-Bannan, but Abdi is not a box to box KL, and Bannan loses too many tackles so needs strong disciplined support.

That said, I thought Jones was extremely poor last night, and have seen very little in his game all season. Could it be a season too far perhaps?

So finally we come to Hutch. I understand the view that he plays too deep, but in the absence of Lee I think he is the best partner for Bannan.

Provided we finally put FF left, as you show in your line-up, it will all fall into place.

Westwood

Loovens

Lees

Wallace

Abdi

Bannan

Fernando

Hooper

Rhodes.

Terrific post imo. Thought through and well argued.

So much of what we did last season when we fielded a line-up like yours was great, but we had a few weak links, and your team strengthens in two of those areas, LB and Hooper's partner. And how!!!!Rhodes and Reach to replace Joao and Pudil. That's brilliant.

BUT....do you really think a Bannan-Abdi partnership could work? I am all for a creative engine-room, and love Lee-Bannan, but Abdi is not a box to box KL, and Bannan loses too many tackles so needs strong disciplined support.

That said, I thought Jones was extremely poor last night, and have seen very little in his game all season. Could it be a season too far perhaps?

So finally we come to Hutch. I understand the view that he plays too deep, but in the absence of Lee I think he is the best partner for Bannan.

Provided we finally put FF left, as you show in your line-up, it will all fall into place.

25 minutes ago, torryowl said:

yours maybe not mine ........bannans a good player playing a role he'd probably not choose to play but he does it for the team and doesn't deserve the criticism he gets .

I'm not against Bannan.

If there were no Abdi in our squad, then I wouldn't have an issue.

But Abdi is in the squad, and we are struggling in possession- struggling to create- just struggling in general.

It's all such a struggle. 

And Abdi still sits on the bench.

I don't see the Owls that much living down 'ere in Cornwall , so only really see the full performance when they're on Sky. I did watch last night's game and not once did I think we would lose, it had 0-0 written all over it. Don't think Wigan would have scored if they'd had another half hour on the clock! I did think Abdi was sound when he came on looked like he knew how to take care of the ball, something which Jones, Hunt and Pudil failed to do time and again. The big miss for me was Hutch, it's not only his breaking up play that we miss but he's also a big personality and motivator out there. He drives us forward from deep, whereas Bannan was playing far too deep to produce the killer pass down the channels . For me Bannan needs to stop trying to do everything, and play people in from the area between centre circle and penalty area.

Would like to see Hutch and Abdi in CM and either give Bannan a rest or play him wide and Fessi up top. Is Friday game with Brum on Sky again? Will be interesting to see what Carlos does after he's read all the threads on here.lol

Guest RocketOwl
2 hours ago, DIPPS_S.W.F.C said:

This is about right m8....

Missing Hooper and Lee big time.. 

And would love to see that team have a run but missing Hutch...?

Was an error, Hutchinson would definitely be in my starting line up.

Bannan should be given a rest in the Tuesday home game for Abdi?