im sorry but that was boring dogshit

13 hours ago, Arthur Bach said:

The anti-Wednesday brigade are out in force.

13 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Massively

Think we've been invaded by piggies.

Plenty of negs for this post.

Must be the piggies !lol

Edited by oldtawnyowl

5 minutes ago, Big Jack said:

People dont notice when other teams in the top 6 grind out results in boring fashion.

If think they do when they need to and also play more expansively when the time is right to do so. It can be a combination of the two. It doesn't have to be one or the other. I think that we have been too defensive on occasions when a more open approach would have brought better results.

3 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

If think they do when they need to and also play more expansively when the time is right to do so. It can be a combination of the two. It doesn't have to be one or the other. I think that we have been too defensive on occasions when a more open approach would have brought better results.

Or more goals against we don't know. 

3 minutes ago, Corneliusreeve said:

Or more goals against we don't know. 

Maybe I suppose. All that these comments are telling me is that Stuart Gray's and Alan Irvine's footballing ideals that everyone complained so "bitterly" about were indeed correct after all.

21 minutes ago, Big Jack said:

No people on Owlstalk think teams should stand off us and let us play our wonderful passing game.

They dont like performances where the team have to battle and dig in against a feisty side on a poor pitch.

Team spirit is fantastic,and will take you far, when you have that extra bit of quality.

People dont notice when other teams in the top 6 grind out results in boring fashion.

Rhodes is going to a big player for you, But, Christ if this is the meltdown when you're doing well. Imagine the one if you yo-yo lol

1 minute ago, Baggiehy said:

Rhodes is going to a big player for you, But, Christ if this is the meltdown when you're doing well. Imagine the one if you yo-yo lol

How can Rhodes ever be a big player for us if we never attack through fear of conceding? :wacko:

3 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

Maybe I suppose. All that these comments are telling me is that Stuart Gray's and Alan Irvine's footballing ideals that everyone complained so "bitterly" about were indeed correct after all.

Look I know it's not been pleasing on the eye, and I doubt nobody was ranting and shouting at the telly more than i was last night.

However, things have to be put in perspective, it's easy to sit typing and criticising our performance what people would and wouldn't do, players they would pick and so on and so forth but people on here have no idea what influences cc's decisions and what considerations he has to assess and act upon.

What drives me mad is most people on here make it sound so simple to be able to play the champagne football everyone wants to see but it isn't otherwise we'd all be top managers. 

Let me ask you this what would people say if he'd have gone for it last night and got beat like he did at Birmingham earlier in the season? he'd have been crucified, either way you cut it he can't win.

By the way Irvine and gray had very difficult circumstances to work under the latter doing a tremendous job considering. 

1 minute ago, ChinaOwl said:

How can Rhodes ever be a big player for us if we never attack through fear of conceding? :wacko:

Now Now don't  be a Big Girl's  Blouse

Honestly, Cornelius, I think last night's result was more than satisfactory considering the conditions. That is not my contention at all. I just want to be a little more open and aggressive when the circumstances are right to do so. It doesn't mean going Keeganesque. Caution can be mixed with a little positiveness in the right proportions without taking too many risks.

Anybody checked out  how the rest of the top 6 performed against Wigan away this season?

Huddersfield won 1-0    (2 shots on target)

Derby won 1-0              (1 shot on target)

Newcastle won 2-0        (8 shots on target)

Brighton won 1-0           (2 shots on target)

Reading won 3-0           (4 shots on target) - one a penalty.

us won 1-0                     (1 shot on target)

What you saw last night was common for everyone else (apart from Newcastle). They play a very tight formation and stop the opposition playing.

That is part of the reason they have one of the best defensive records in the league. To be honest - Sky should have known what to expect in terms of selecting this game for TV.

Seeing the above it was never going to be a 'pretty game to watch'. The important part was we got the 3 points and matched the result of those around us.

41 minutes ago, bigsuffolkowl said:

Anybody checked out  how the rest of the top 6 performed against Wigan away this season?

Huddersfield won 1-0    (2 shots on target)

Derby won 1-0              (1 shot on target)

Newcastle won 2-0        (8 shots on target)

Brighton won 1-0           (2 shots on target)

Reading won 3-0           (4 shots on target) - one a penalty.

us won 1-0                     (1 shot on target)

What you saw last night was common for everyone else (apart from Newcastle). They play a very tight formation and stop the opposition playing.

That is part of the reason they have one of the best defensive records in the league. To be honest - Sky should have known what to expect in terms of selecting this game for TV.

Seeing the above it was never going to be a 'pretty game to watch'. The important part was we got the 3 points and matched the result of those around us.

I don't think people would voice their displeasure, purely on last nights result Sometimes, when you're not playing well, you have to grind out results like last night This type of fare has become the norm for us though, and although most of those other sides have also struggled to dispose of Wigan, in plenty of other games they've racked up the goals

Edited by gurujuan

41 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

Honestly, Cornelius, I think last night's result was more than satisfactory considering the conditions. That is not my contention at all. I just want to be a little more open and aggressive when the circumstances are right to do so. It doesn't mean going Keeganesque. Caution can be mixed with a little positiveness in the right proportions without taking too many risks.

I would love to see us be more attacking and play beautiful flowing football who wouldn't? but some of the reactions on here last night even before a ball was kicked was nothing short of disgraceful and comparable to children throwing a tantrum.

Look a couple of posts up from this comparing other teams stats against Wigan. 

We play our better football against sides who will try and beat us I don't think that was in the Wigan's game plan last night they tried and succeeded to the most to stifle us, there a team fighting for their very survival coming of the back of back to back wins.

Again considering all the circumstances last night of injuries suspensions and playing two away games at the opposite ends of the country in the space of 72hrs showed a team with commitment and a never say die attitude. 

UTO.

22 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I don't think people would voice their displeasure, purely on last nights result Sometimes, when you're not playing well, you have to grind out results like last night This type of fare has become the norm for us though, and although most of those other sides have also struggled to dispose of Wigan, in plenty of other games they've racked up the goals

As it ever occurred to you that we're just not as good as people wish we were. 

35 minutes ago, Corneliusreeve said:

As it ever occurred to you that we're just not as good as people wish we were. 

In terms of performance, or results? Because results wise, I don't think we could hope for a much better league placing, but performance wise, we are capable of so much more

15 hours ago, Lee A said:

1 shot on target, that may or may not have been on target

Yes we scraped a win against a league 1 side, the result is all that matters, but we've got £20 million+ on the pitch, shouldn't be so negative and void of ideas in attack

To the rack with you for daring to speak malcontent against the cult of Carlos.

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Exactly right. My disappointment is not that we "only" beat Wigan 1-0, as it was a good result. The disappointment was that it didn't look like a very good side that were struggling to break down a relegation contender, but just looked like two poor teams with few ideas.  I expect better from the players we have to choose from.  Hopefully that will happen next week at home