im sorry but that was boring dogshit

5 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

I'm convinced herein lies the issue. It wasn't about last night's result in isolation, was it? It is a culmination of poor performances by players that could reasonably be expected to do much better. Given the attacking talent available to the club, arriving at February without a single win that could be described as convincing should bring into question the ability of the coach to utilise them correctly.

Imagine back when Newcastle were signing players like Shearer, Asprilla and Ginola. Imagine the reaction that would come from the Geordie fanbase if the coach set them up to play dull, turgid football and grind out results. It happened to be Keegan that couldn't set up to play defensively if his life depended on it, but if he did, even if the team were grinding out wins, there would still be unrest amongst the supporters.

That is were I feel we are now. We are signing players of that type and the supporters are expecting to see a brand of football that reflects it. Even if it was just one crushing win like a 4-0 or 5-1 type scoreline, things would settle down and everyone would be back behind the team. It has to come sometime or else the frustration will boil over.

I agree with much of that. You said:

It is a culmination of poor performances by players that could reasonably be expected to do much better

and I will further that by adding "which leave fans questioning whether we can compete with/for the top 6 this season". And I think that is the issue. We all want promotion and based purely on recent performances, we have lost the cut and thrust to open teams up like last season and the fans see that as being a backwards step.

Yet we beat Newcastle away, convincingly. We have beaten Udders twice, who torn Brighton a new one on Thursday night. Brighton deservedly won at Hillsborough and beat us at their place against all odds. Should we/could we have won that game? Yes, and they are the best team in this division for me. So I think frustration is the underlying emotion here.

This whole debate certainly isn't as black and white as some are making out.  We are tracking for 78 points so throw in another bonus 3 and we will be in the playoffs for sure with 81.

It will then take just one excellent home performance to be within 90 mins of glory again. If we make it to the PL who cares how we get there,everything changes in an instant and we start another exciting journey.

However.....our chronic lack of goals is not a good sign when it comes to the business end of the season. I personally dont think our defence will be good enough to bail us out when teams at both ends of the table get desperate enough to have a real go. 

I think we will.make it to the playoffs..just and for two reasons: experience and squad depth

To me, it's the wrong game to go off on one about.  Second away game in three days. Quite a few injuries.  Well drilled motivated opposites.  Appalling weather.  Ground out the result.  Goal that came as the culmination of ten minutes of increasing control. Never seriously looked like conceding.  if we'd had one of those this time last year, most people would be happy enough.

The question then becomes can we get it going at home, where overall the record is just about ok this season, but the underpinning performances are less convincing.  Above all what I'd like to see is the confidence we had last season to play the ball.  People talk about tempo.  When we're on our game we don't play all the time at high tempo.  We're prepared to cycle it around, looking for the opportunity, look for something, regroup - but then we do strike, and strike quickly.  Far too often this season we've had possession in a deep position and then played a mindless long ball looking at best for the flick on.  Having said that, the second half against Huddersfield was up there with the play off and the Cardiff game last season as our best 45 minutes under CC, so there really is something to build on.

39 minutes ago, markg said:

we are spoiled brats. We won but but but. Chill out. We played some lovely football last season but didn't win in the playoffs, we hardly competed in the final. Huddersfield are going to do what we did last season

And we are in danger of doing a Birmingham. 

Demand this, demand that, demand the other. Demand, demand, demand.

Whilst demanding customers will push the quality of the product along, there is always the danger that Mr Chansiri will think sod this, I'm doing all I can here and I am still getting no thanks for it, I'm outta here. Just saying.

Three very good away points against a team who made it hard for us. Credit to the players for battling out a win. 

I believe an increase in the standard of play is directly proportional to an increase in player confidence. Ask yourself if moaning will increase confidence levels in the players. Probably not.

Good news though. The players probably don't revolve their lives around Owls Talk like the rest of us and aren't listening to this.

I cant believe what i'm reading people are banging on about how poor we are and yet we are in a great run of results ......if playing the way we are brings in the results( which it does then whats not to like .....carlos plays to his strengths which is a good keeper , a mean back 4 with a solid four in front of them giving added protection that teams in the main struggle to break down  and a variety of strikers who are all capable of getting us a goal on the break .......if it didn't work I'd be giving him grief but it does .

1 hour ago, edinburghowl said:

Wigan had won 3 of their last 4 games and you can't play well every week. The team were pish but still found a way to keep a clean sheet and win. The conditions were crap and Wigan deliberately made it difficult stifling the game. A solid 3 points I'm happy.

Agree with you, but I think people's frustrations lie with the fact that it's actually few and far between that we play particularly well. 

50 minutes ago, markg said:

we are spoiled brats. We won but but but. Chill out. We played some lovely football last season but didn't win in the playoffs, we hardly competed in the final. Huddersfield are going to do what we did last season

It started late Feb though Mark, not 1st August. So the Play-Off Final was a similar set-up, tempo and display to what we are watching this season.

54 goals in our last 47 matches.

I don't think many of us would cry if we were looking invincible and controlling in our one-goal matches, but we are not. 

4 minutes ago, torryowl said:

I cant believe what i'm reading people are banging on about how poor we are and yet we are in a great run of results ......if playing the way we are brings in the results( which it does then whats not to like .....carlos plays to his strengths which is a good keeper , a mean back 4 with a solid four in front of them giving added protection that teams in the main struggle to break down  and a variety of strikers who are all capable of getting us a goal on the break .......if it didn't work I'd be giving him grief but it does .

You have a very pragmatic and realistic outlook which I admire you for unfortunately (or fortunately depending on what perspective you view it from), Chansiri has raised the expectation level not only from the viewpoint of the quality of player brought in but also, I would guess, from the new club pricing policies. I would be happy enough to amass sufficient points to get into the play-offs but, there again, I don't go to the games for obvious reasons. Yes, there will be a section of supporters that follow your ideals but there are bound to be those that expect better than when Gray, Irvine et al. were in charge of the team. I think it just takes one convincing victory, just one, to change the mindset and get everyone pulling in the same direction.

We used to lose these type of games.

Being in the play offs for two seasons running is something we used to dream of.

Well, I'm still dreaming. Can't believe how far we've come in such a short space of time.

Thanks Mr C. Thanks Carlos.

Maybe we've been sussed out and opponents now know how to negate our expansive play? So what does Carlos do, he finds another way of picking up the points. Well done Carlos.

Maybe we need to find another style of play again to entertain, and to pick up points, but I'd guess it's too late in the season now to take risks in re-educating players with a new style mid-season? 

I'd guess any working on a new way of playing starts next pre-season. 

And finally, with so many players, regularly rotating the squad, there will always be a tendency to have an inconsistent standard of play.

Do we need all these players? I don't know, but we demanded them, and Mr C provided.

4 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

You have a very pragmatic and realistic outlook which I admire you for unfortunately (or fortunately depending on what perspective you view it from), Chansiri has raised the expectation level not only from the viewpoint of the quality of player brought in but also, I would guess, from the new club pricing policies. I would be happy enough to amass sufficient points to get into the play-offs but, there again, I don't go to the games for obvious reasons. Yes, there will be a section of supporters that follow your ideals but there are bound to be those that expect better than when Gray, Irvine et al. were in charge of the team. I think it just takes one convincing victory, just one, to change the mindset and get everyone pulling in the same direction.

it's just common sense ....footballs a result based business and our results lately are good it  doesn't matter how you get them as long as you get them  ....Fulham by all accounts are playing some great stuff scoring and shipping loads of goals but i'd bet there manager would swap there points total for ours .

Just now, torryowl said:

it's just common sense ....footballs a result based business and our results lately are good it  doesn't matter how you get them as long as you get them  ....Fulham by all accounts are playing some great stuff scoring and shipping loads of goals but i'd bet there manager would swap there points total for ours .

Reading people's comments on this forum, I think the general frustration is not so much the return in terms of points but more a case of players that should reflect a certain ilk of football are being restrained and not given licence to express their ability. That may or may not be the case but that is the perception as it is coming across to me. There will be those that will be happy winning by injury time penalties as it is still three points towards the end target. There will be those that would expect better given the type of player available at Carvalhal's disposal.

12 minutes ago, torryowl said:

It's also an expensive entertainment business!!

You bet Fulhams manager would swap our superior points total ?

You sound as cautious with your betting as Carlos is with his tactics 

12 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

Reading people's comments on this forum, I think the general frustration is not so much the return in terms of points but more a case of players that should reflect a certain ilk of football are being restrained and not given licence to express their ability. That may or may not be the case but that is the perception as it is coming across to me. There will be those that will be happy winning by injury time penalties as it is still three points towards the end target. There will be those that would expect better given the type of player available at Carvalhal's disposal.

I understand and agree its not good to watch but when i'm driving home after a game i'm a lot more happier with a scrappy 1-0 win than I would reflecting on a thrilling 3-3 draw .while we keep winning i'll keep backing carlos if it starts crashing on a regular basis then I like many others will be calling for his head but until that day arrives i'll keep clapping