Memories of Chris Woods at Sheffield Wednesday

Woods also made one of the best saves I've ever seen. In the semi against Blackburn we tanked em all over and then woods and Palmer made a mess to make it 4-2.

colin Hendry absolutely powered a header to bottom corner and woods saved it brilliantly.

On 24/01/2017 at 14:12, Helen Waddle said:

"Old and creaky enough to remember"?  Saucy young 'un!

In my first season attending Wednesday games (I was 9) our keeper was Peter Springett.  I recall us playing QPR and his brother Ron (who used to keep for us) was in their goal.

FA Cup January 1967 the launch of Ozzie Owl and a big box of balloons from the halfway line.

Ron was playing for us, Peter for them.

They changed some months later.

7 hours ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

Woods may be a hero to some, but if we're honest for £1.2M in Aug 91 we could've got so much better. He may have done the odd good save, but my abiding memories of coming away from games (I didn't miss one game home or away from 89-99) in the early 90's were rueing that clown. He cost us more than he saved us

It is this for me.

I don't doubt he was a good keeper, and the intervening years will always mean that the Cup final for many is the abiding memory for many.

But even at the time we signed him I wasn't particularly pleased. Despite his billing as Englands number 1 and the excitement it caused among the kids.

£1.2m was a huge amount of money in 1991.  Not 18 months before we had sold Dalian Atkinson , a player of preposterous potential because the fee of £1.5 rising to £1.7 was variously described "Unbelievable", "Ridiculous" and "un-refusable".  And that was for a match winning striker. Always the highest commodity in football. 

To pay into the millions for a goalkeeper, at that time you would want the absolute best.

Woods had some good games. But the question has to be asked, Was he a millions pounds better than Turner or Pressman? And for my money , as good as he was , the answer had to be no.

I look at that side that finished third. It just needed tickling along. 

To spend a record fee for a 32 year old keeper who had been playing in Scotland at a time when it wasn't even a two horse race was (no offence to any of my porridge loving chums) was bizarre to say the least.

I loved the lad Paul Williams. He was a tremendous worker for the team and a great foil for Hirst. But it was clear even in some games in the second division that in the top flight he wouldn't provide the danger up front that we would need. Which was proved with his return of 9 goals in 40 games, and who slid back down the division after we sold him. We had Trevor himself. Always capable of a cameo. But for a team which had so much quality ,we  only had three strikers. One who was International class. One who was about to retire and one who we knew would not make an impact in the top flight.

I think Trevor twigged this eventually when he brought in Mark Bright.

However, I thought at the time -so this is not hindsight of the intervening years - had that quite obvious striking shortage should have been addressed instead of spending a record fee on a goalkeeper who wasn't that much, if at all better than what we had on the books.

It's a moot point, but I have no doubt in my mind that had Atkinson stayed then there is no way we would have signed a goalkeeper and that the forward shortage would have been top of the agenda.

Trevor had Wednesday playing some of the best football I have ever seen. Much of the ground work was Rons, but credit where it's due I thought under Trevor we started playing at a slightly higher tempo.

But I cannot help but think that after the trouble he had had at QPR , following a big character like Ron, and feeling the need to prove himself, that Woods was more of a 'statement' signing than an actual thought out process. 

It's  understandable. Young manager in the game, trying to make a name for himself.

Frustrated me then though, and still does now, when Neil drags it up!

9 hours ago, ka58 said:

Must have been a different game we didn't play arsenal opening game of season whilst woods was there.

Could have been first home match then, or just the first match i was at that season, something like that...lol

12 hours ago, marconi said:

FA Cup January 1967 the launch of Ozzie Owl and a big box of balloons from the halfway line.

Ron was playing for us, Peter for them.

They changed some months later.

The match I recall had Peter S in our goal.  I seem to remember a score of 4-0, but I'm unsure as to whether it was in this game (with Ron S in QPR goal) or if that was a later game.

Edit:  Just looked it up and it was 14th December 1968.  

Edited by Helen Waddle
Add information

14 hours ago, ka58 said:

Woods also made one of the best saves I've ever seen. In the semi against Blackburn we tanked em all over and then woods and Palmer made a mess to make it 4-2.

colin Hendry absolutely powered a header to bottom corner and woods saved it brilliantly.

For me, Woods was one of the best keepers for keeping out shots out of the bottom corners.

If you watch the videos, he is semi crouched down all the time, anticipating the shots to go there.

On the other hand, anything above midriff and he was in trouble (as we found out to our cost), because he was concentrating on the saving the low shots all the time.

That's how i saw it.

As the old saying goes cometh the hour cometh the man. I'll just leave that there re Woods.

No getting over emotional about playing Pigs and Cup Finals, as hard as that is. The early 90's side with Hodge in his prime for us or Pressman is his prime beats any spell Woods had for us regardless of the blunders he made in big games.

Edited by OasisOwl72

18 hours ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

Woods laid down for the first goal.

IMG_6442.PNG

And how any keeper could let the winner go in is beyond me

IMG_6443.PNG

Over last couple of days I've watched  several clips of us and reviews 91/92 and 92/93. He cost us many a point. It's unbelievable  how bad he actually was.

Result. He was to55

Agree completely mate. It's not a case of forgetting how good he was but forgetting how bad he was. We seriously could've won the league with a half decent keeper in '92.

5 hours ago, Helen Waddle said:

The match I recall had Peter S in our goal.  I seem to remember a score of 4-0, but I'm unsure as to whether it was in this game (with Ron S in QPR goal) or if that was a later game.

Edit:  Just looked it up and it was 14th December 1968.  

That sounds possible, you learn something different every day, didn't realise this had happened twice.

The cup game ended 3-0 to us, with the heading machine John Ritchie scoring all three with his feet!