BBC - Price of Football

Guest Deleted member

It was only a couple of seasons ago people we're pointing to this survey to prove we were one of the cheapest.

Now because we are at the other end, the survey is crap

When tickets are cheap l go  ,when tickets are  the prices they are and have been since DC took over then  l don't go  . I had been going 40yrs  but the price became to much for what was on offer . Get to the premiere then charge  the going rate . I will always be blue  but l won't pay those prices .  Do l miss it  NO l  have found other things to do  that don't spoil my day  . But l will always be Wednesday l have a foot square know old Wednesday badge on my back .( thanks mr Chansri)  

It's not like the team are exactly providing value for money atm is it. 

I mean - even if we were riding high at the top of the division - the tickets would still be too expensive (for the most part). 

As things stand people are paying incredibly high amounts for some pretty lousy performances. 

Guest Bagarri

We're highlighted straight away. It is a stupid amount of money. Unfortunately, can only afford to wait for the 'cheaper' games or Sky matches.

Edited by Bagarri

That video is poor, no point simply highlighting  prices are higher in the championship than some PL games. You have to identify why that is the case and what can be done about it without hurting the clubs in the championship

9 minutes ago, Ash76 said:

That video is poor, no point simply highlighting  prices are higher in the championship than some PL games. You have to identify why that is the case and what can be done about it without hurting the clubs in the championship

Could point out that at £60M+ for being in the Prem clubs like Stoke can keep ticket prices down to ensure a full house as ticket sales are not keeping them afloat

5 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I didn't realise it was £55 for that shirt. 

It doesnt surprise me that we have the highest ticket in the league. FFP is partly to blame for passing costs on to fans.

FFP has a lot to answer for.

But people will still jump towards greedy owners or clubs.

The well worn quote from Rummenigge on Bayern's ticketing policy is a great example of what FFP has done. He said something like they could sell the same amount of season tickets even if they put next seasons price up by €100. But the €1 million it would generate is not worth as much to Bayern as the €100 is to the fan. Fair comment. But Bayern still manage to operate on the highest level transfer wise and still stay well clear of a fine or ban from UEFA for operating beyond their means. 

Yet if a team, like Wednesday for example, go into the Premier League and need to sell their tickets for €100 more than Bayern do in order to compete, are they really ripping fans off? If fans want them to reach or even stay in the Premier League, and avoid any sanctions, surely that's the price you pay? Wednesday don't have the global revenue streams a team like Bayern have, or the parachute and PL TV payments of a Newcastle. If people want to see us compete then the only way we can is obviously to make the extra 400-500k a season in price hikes. There's only so much I'd imagine Chansiri can do to bank roll the club. We can't just show accounts year on year where he's stumped up all the shortfall. I'm sure that's one of the main reasons FFP was brought in, to stop Billionaires doing a Chelsea or Man City. It's very likely we'll see similar price hikes at Wolves aswell come next summer.

5 minutes ago, NeonLeon said:

The well worn quote from Rummenigge on Bayern's ticketing policy is a great example of what FFP has done. He said something like they could sell the same amount of season tickets even if they put next seasons price up by €100. But the €1 million it would generate is not worth as much to Bayern as the €100 is to the fan. Fair comment. But Bayern still manage to operate on the highest level transfer wise and still stay well clear of a fine or ban from UEFA for operating beyond their means. 

Yet if a team, like Wednesday for example, go into the Premier League and need to sell their tickets for €100 more than Bayern do in order to compete, are they really ripping fans off? If fans want them to reach or even stay in the Premier League, and avoid any sanctions, surely that's the price you pay? Wednesday don't have the global revenue streams a team like Bayern have, or the parachute and PL TV payments of a Newcastle. If people want to see us compete then the only way we can is obviously to make the extra 400-500k a season in price hikes. There's only so much I'd imagine Chansiri can do to bank roll the club. We can't just show accounts year on year where he's stumped up all the shortfall. I'm sure that's one of the main reasons FFP was brought in, to stop Billionaires doing a Chelsea or Man City. It's very likely we'll see similar price hikes at Wolves aswell come next summer.

I suppose my point is the hikes aren't because Chansiri wants the fans to bank roll him or the club. It's because we need the money to operate. Without it I'd imagine we'd be under embargos and other restrictions. In fact we've already seen the without it, just go back 3 seasons! It is crap that not everyone can afford to go but that's a constant throughout modern football. Wednesday aren't the problem and nothing will change until the whole 'bubble' of PL football, in this country at least, bursts.

5 minutes ago, NeonLeon said:

I think you raise some good points.

My understanding was that FFP was to prevent clubs generating debts they couldn't control (there has never been fair finance in football), I'm sure at first there was the idea that if you made a loss over a certain permitted amount as long as the owner changed the loss into equity it was ok as it protected the clubs. I don't think that's the case any more.

But for example, if Chansiri or another owner was a billionaire and wanted to spend untold millions on his club, he currently cannot do it. If he could and didn't need to worry about losses on a balance sheet then he could choose to make tickets a tenner. 

I appreciate that is a very rare case and wouldn't be the norm for most clubs, but it hasn't stopped clubs chasing the premier league and transfer fees in this league and wages have all increased, along with debts. You either accept you're staying here and keep prices low or put your neck on the block to try and make it, sharing the cost with fans (who arguably get hit harder than the guy who chose to get his millions invested).

Then there's a side point that you have clubs with parachute cash who can operate "fairly" within FFP and have greater leeway to spend. Whereas any club without that, even with the hypothetical billionaire, wouldn't be allowed to match that spending.

In short, it's a right mess and I'm not sure FFP works as all the clubs are making big losses anyway