Aberfan

Guest white kanu

Agree with the comments regarding paying respects in a personalised manner. If you want to do something good, make a donation or take the time to visit the memorial. 

Doesn't sit well with me organising some kind of tribute. I would almost describe it as a form of 'grief appropriation' - using an event with loose personal relevance but huge personal significance to those affected (image being one of the survivors or rescuers and what they feel) just as a way of showing "what a great club we are"

5 hours ago, Holmes said:

I cant see the connection to Sheffield Wednesday to be honest.  Yes, it was a terrible tragedy probably one which should not have happened but I can't see the point of us remembering it.  To far in the past (we have never done it before) . 

How far should we go back?  How tentative the connection?  Just not in our backyard sorry

I don't think there has to be a connection to sheffield wednesday f.c but how can anyone have any objection to a group of people/fans of a club remembering a terrible tragedy and paying their respects in their own way. I obviously can't speak for the families devastated by the tragedy but I'd certainley be touched with the thought that 50 years on people with no connection to the town would remember and pay their respects

Totally disagree with doing something personal. It has everything to to with us as mentioned earlier it affected people up here. 

Its called being empathic and also letting someone who has suffered a long time ago that we're still thinking about them and their pain. 

Lights for me. 

I lived in South Wales for 12 years and during that time I visited the Big Pit in Blaenavon and picked up a book about the Aberfan disaster which I hadn't known much about before.

After reading it I went up to the village and visited the memorial which is incredibly moving.

A tribute to those who died would be a fantastic gesture. 

I don't know if this could be organised in time as it would need a high degree of coordination but the idea of phone lights is great...how about 144 lights, one for each of those who died, scattered around the visiting section...these are doused and then other lights switched on to outline a winding gear and the word Aberfan. Or vice versa.

I'm thinking along the lines of this...the commemoration of the Warsaw Uprising in 1944, picking out the outline of the badge of the Polish Home Army in lights  

I think this would be superb but as I said, it would need a huge amount of organisation to pull it off and time is very short.

Hope we can do something appropriate and fantastic OP!

Edited by coruja

I remember been at my Nan's watching this unfold on the News, what also sticks in my mind was the mass funeral they had for the kids.  There was grief nationwide and think its a great idea to mark it in someway. I'll be there so will join in with whatever is decided. 

Guest mrbluesky

Right, whatever is decided I will still chuck in £20,I`m open to all suggestions(obviously mine as well) so please someone make a decision!!!!lol

Guest white kanu

Right I've just got up with my hangover and although a little disappointed with some of the negative comments particularly insinuations I'm some kind of professional grief junkie , I do think some valid points have been made regarding doing something en masse. It's clear that not everyone comfy so I think that Phone lights or minutes applause or silence is out. Firstly for the reasons that have been stated about intruding and secondly because if not everyone on board it will just look poo and just be a bit insulting.

so I think that if we can get a banner in time with just a simple message like 

Aberfan

Not forgotten

with a club badge (from both?) either side the date, this would be an understated tribute from those of us who want to do so and doesn't have to involve those who don't plus not making a show or ramming it in Ccfc faces. I've been trying to get on their website to have an ask but still not permission authorised.

Guest white kanu
4 minutes ago, jamsandwich said:

Has anyone been in contact with any Aberfan organisations or commitees? 

They might have alternative commemorations planned. 

Struggling to find on. Any pointers accepted.

Guest mrbluesky
On 08/10/2016 at 08:43, mrbluesky said:

No mate,your suggestion so I thought I`d leave it to you,I`ll Kick off the flag fund with £20 so come on lets get the ball rolling.

On 08/10/2016 at 08:46, white kanu said:

I'll match that but all donations of any size accepted. 

21 hours ago, Rick - Norfolk Owl said:

I'm happy to donate another £20.  There's a signage company opposite my workplace so I can check on Monday how big a sign they could handle, whehter they could produce in time and how much it might cost.

I can't be at the game but my brother lives down there and is going, so he can give the money across if needed.  Otherwise let me know how to donate.

Great OP - well done White Kanu

19 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

Presently about 40 quid but by the end of next week probably 150 quid! lol

Shouldn't laugh, my wife's pension from the UK is dropping in real terms each month.

Right if you would like to donate to a flag please do so,it`s around the £100 mark,going on the costliest we would need £150,so anybody willing to contribute??

Cheers in advance

13 hours ago, alco said:

I don't think there has to be a connection to sheffield wednesday f.c but how can anyone have any objection to a group of people/fans of a club remembering a terrible tragedy and paying their respects in their own way. I obviously can't speak for the families devastated by the tragedy but I'd certainley be touched with the thought that 50 years on people with no connection to the town would remember and pay their respects

Having attended away games for fifty years, and noted the average age of our travelling fans, I'd simply ask how they can "remember" an event that happened before most of them were born. It does, even if it's not intentional, smack of "let's show them how great we are". If we were not playing Cardiff on the day, would our fans have been posting messages of remembrance on their fans forums? I don't think they would. 

Guest white kanu
9 minutes ago, Wolfmanjack said:

Having attended away games for fifty years, and noted the average age of our travelling fans, I'd simply ask how they can "remember" an event that happened before most of them were born. It does, even if it's not intentional, smack of "let's show them how great we are". If we were not playing Cardiff on the day, would our fans have been posting messages of remembrance on their fans forums? I don't think they would. 

No if we weren't playing Cardiff of course not but it's because we are. Do Clubs place banners in support of Hillsborough when they're not playing Liverpool? It's called solidarity and community but you know what? Fark it. Let's not bother, I've had enough of the nimby selfish s0ds on here. I used to think we had a great city and great club with great supporters but obviously we're just another Rotherham or Grimsby only bothered about our patch and arguing we get bigger crowds than United.

We don't believe in the wider community just as long as Wensdeh win. I'm done with this forum cos I got better things to do than get spat at by narrow minded people who think that Trump and UKIP have a point. Don't forget to pull the drawbridge up and shut the world out every night fella.

Guest white kanu
23 minutes ago, Wolfmanjack said:

Oh one last shot, I presume that from your argument you feel that anyone who wasn't born during or before the world wars shouldn't commemorate them either?

16 minutes ago, white kanu said:

No if we weren't playing Cardiff of course not but it's because we are. Do Clubs place banners in support of Hillsborough when they're not playing Liverpool? It's called solidarity and community but you know what? Fark it. Let's not bother, I've had enough of the nimby selfish s0ds on here. I used to think we had a great city and great club with great supporters but obviously we're just another Rotherham or Grimsby only bothered about our patch and arguing we get bigger crowds than United.

We don't believe in the wider community just as long as Wensdeh win. I'm done with this forum cos I got better things to do than get spat at by narrow minded people who think that Trump and UKIP have a point. Don't forget to pull the drawbridge up and shut the world out every night fella.

While I admire the thoughts and good intentions on here, Aberfan is regarded as a Valleys event / tragedy.

While some may not appreciate the distinction, Cardiff are not the Valleys and Merthyr Tydfil FC are unlikely to be visiting Hillsborough any time soon, so this seems a little misplaced. Fair play to you, though.

2 hours ago, mrbluesky said:

Right if you would like to donate to a flag please do so,it`s around the £100 mark,going on the costliest we would need £150,so anybody willing to contribute??

Cheers in advance

yes, I'm still good to put £10 in mate

1 hour ago, white kanu said:

All people are saying is that you need to take a step back for a minute. Find out if A) Cardiff club and fans are OK with your ideas. B)/ and this might be the most important. Would the club allow a large flag into the ground? After all they were banned, maybe still are, at S6. I mean I'd hate you to get to the ground only to be told by some jobsworth steward you can't bring that in here mate