Aberfan

Guest white kanu

I cant see the connection to Sheffield Wednesday to be honest.  Yes, it was a terrible tragedy probably one which should not have happened but I can't see the point of us remembering it.  To far in the past (we have never done it before) . 

How far should we go back?  How tentative the connection?  Just not in our backyard sorry

Guest mrbluesky

It's 50 years

Mining village

Disaster

children died

adults died

respectful

payiny our respects

need I go on, like me old Nan "if you ain't got owt nice to say keep this mouth shut"

How much did you give in 1975 or 1987 say?  Why this year? No year is any less or more important than any other year. So why now all of a sudden? 

Lets remember the Sheffield floods, hundreds died in that lets have a minutes silence for those victims.  It was local and possibly people have family connections. 

The best thing you can do is donate a percentage of your wage to a certain charity and leave it at that.  No need to show how much you care by clapping at a certain time, we all care, just don't need to make a public show of it.

Guest mrbluesky
8 minutes ago, Holmes said:
24 minutes ago, mrbluesky said:

It's 50 years

Mining village

Disaster

children died

adults died

respectful

payiny our respects

Right update on the flag, if people want  and it`s given the ok the flag will roughly cost £150 and can be picked up before the match,you know my thoughts so up to you guys.

Just checked out the local charity which looks after the memorials etc. Looks like they could do with a donation, maybe more appropriate.

http://opencharities.org/charities/701570

http://www.charitychoice.co.uk/the-aberfan-memorial-charity-106844

Edited by Utah Owl

1 hour ago, Utah Owl said:

Just checked out the local charity which looks after the memorials etc. Looks like they could do with a donation, maybe more appropriate.

Just had a look at those pages and you are right, they really could do with a donation.....I've got no idea what the memorial is like and what exactly the charity covers but spending over £650,000 in the last 5 years seems a little on the high side.....does anyone have any further information on this?

3 minutes ago, Ian said:

Just had a look at those pages and you are right, they really could do with a donation.....I've got no idea what the memorial is like and what exactly the charity covers but spending over £650,000 in the last 5 years seems a little on the high side.....does anyone have any further information on this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/6316717.stm

looks a bit of a cash cow to me

1 hour ago, Utah Owl said:

I would say so. If you feel strongly enough about it it then donate something to this. Don't spend the money on a flag etc.

3 hours ago, Holmes said:

I cant see the connection to Sheffield Wednesday to be honest.  Yes, it was a terrible tragedy probably one which should not have happened but I can't see the point of us remembering it.  To far in the past (we have never done it before) . 

How far should we go back?  How tentative the connection?  Just not in our backyard sorry

I'm with you on  this. At the moment the people on here seem to be the ones driving this. From what I can see Cardiff have no plans to commemorate the disaster. As I said earlier before getting a flag I would talk to Cardiff and get their views.

2 minutes ago, darra said:

I'm with you on  this. At the moment the people on here seem to be the ones driving this. From what I can see Cardiff have no plans to commemorate the disaster. As I said earlier before getting a flag I would talk to Cardiff and get their views.

A simple paying our respects would do...minutes silence cost nothing...I'm an ex-miner so I suppose I'm biased

2 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

A simple paying our respects would do...minutes silence cost nothing...I'm an ex-miner so I suppose I'm biased

I'm with you on that. I'm just saying  we should consult those who it affects the most. They may see a flag as being over the top and maybe disrespectful and tacky. Or they may see it as as generous  and heartfelt gesture.

2 minutes ago, darra said:

I'm with you on that. I'm just saying  we should consult those who it affects the most. They may see a flag as being over the top and maybe disrespectful and tacky. Or they may see it as as generous  and heartfelt gesture.

Agree with you there...a minutes silence would just be respectful and couldn't be misconstrued as anything else

4 hours ago, Holmes said:

How much did you give in 1975 or 1987 say?  Why this year? No year is any less or more important than any other year. So why now all of a sudden? 

Lets remember the Sheffield floods, hundreds died in that lets have a minutes silence for those victims.  It was local and possibly people have family connections. 

The best thing you can do is donate a percentage of your wage to a certain charity and leave it at that.  No need to show how much you care by clapping at a certain time, we all care, just don't need to make a public show of it.

I hate Internet grief these families have lived with this for 50 yrs ,if they want a big memorial at our game let it be them that lead it not us,if they don't want it don't force it.what is the Cardiff site saying  what are the family sight saying 

4 minutes ago, owler66 said:

I hate Internet grief these families have lived with this for 50 yrs ,if they want a big memorial at our game let it be them that lead it not us,if they don't want it don't force it.what is the Cardiff site saying  what are the family sight saying 

This is my point exactly.

Went on Cardiff site earlier and they were saying nowt. Thinking about it, perhaps it would be best if those who want to give direct to the charity (links above). Anything wider than that should be driven by the locals (and Cardiff are the local club) rather than us imposing ourselves. Of course, if Cardiff do propose some sort of commemoration at the game then it is only right and proper that we should participate fully.