Aberfan

Guest white kanu

23 hours ago, nuneatonowl1 said:

Great sentiment but think it would get lost on an 8x5 flag like you say. What about something that will be succinct and stand out. Aberfan, 50 years, not forgotten ...Aberfan, 50 years, remembered (just an idea). Maybe with SWFC or the badge on ... we could leave it with them or their supporters club..  I'm going to the game so happy to help out in anyway at all .. ps. tell me how to pay the tenner as and when

As way of showing solidarity with the people of Aberfan 50 years on maybe we should consider something like this.

http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/04/14/88/4148808_2545b46c.jpg

2 hours ago, Wolfmanjack said:

Having attended away games for fifty years, and noted the average age of our travelling fans, I'd simply ask how they can "remember" an event that happened before most of them were born. It does, even if it's not intentional, smack of "let's show them how great we are". If we were not playing Cardiff on the day, would our fans have been posting messages of remembrance on their fans forums? I don't think they would. 

Well if we're going to be like that I'll not bother buying a poppy this year as I was born almost 20 years after the Second World War.

Guest mrbluesky
1 hour ago, darra said:

All people are saying is that you need to take a step back for a minute. Find out if A) Cardiff club and fans are OK with your ideas. B)/ and this might be the most important. Would the club allow a large flag into the ground? After all they were banned, maybe still are, at S6. I mean I'd hate you to get to the ground only to be told by some jobsworth steward you can't bring that in here mate

Ok I`ll bite,I don`t mind differing of opinions but the above is patronising..."step back for a minute" I`m pretty sure he`s "stepped back", Cardiff`s club and fans are OK wth it (strange one for me personally)

And finally I`m sure you`d "hate" it, stop being an arse about this,we realise you are not in favour that`s fine but just don`t be an arse A) It`s boring now B) It`s boring, and this might be the important one C)It really is boring!

:biggrin:

Guest mrbluesky
1 hour ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

As way of showing solidarity with the people of Aberfan 50 years on maybe we should consider something like this.

http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/04/14/88/4148808_2545b46c.jpg

I think that may be a tad on the big side. :)

Guest mrbluesky
14 minutes ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

proberly but at least it shows that the Mining Communities of South Yorkshire have a very strong bond with the people of Aberfan.

It does pal,I was just jesting,tension is a little high in here,just trying to lighten the mood.

1 hour ago, mrbluesky said:

Ok I`ll bite,I don`t mind differing of opinions but the above is patronising..."step back for a minute" I`m pretty sure he`s "stepped back", Cardiff`s club and fans are OK wth it (strange one for me personally)

And finally I`m sure you`d "hate" it, stop being an arse about this,we realise you are not in favour that`s fine but just don`t be an arse A) It`s boring now B) It`s boring, and this might be the important one C)It really is boring!

:biggrin:

tell you what you go for it and I hope it all works out for you and you are properly lauded for it by all and sundry. BTW I'm neither in or out of favour of it . I'm sure it would be well received but having dealt with lots of grieving people it can affect people in different ways even many years after

Edited by darra

Guest mrbluesky
On 08/10/2016 at 16:33, darra said:

Can I suggets somebody contacts Cardiff FC to gauge their thoughts on this. Could be doubtful I know but they or the families might want to keep it low key. Is it something they commemorate every year?

20 hours ago, darra said:

I'm with you on  this. At the moment the people on here seem to be the ones driving this. From what I can see Cardiff have no plans to commemorate the disaster. As I said earlier before getting a flag I would talk to Cardiff and get their views.

20 hours ago, darra said:

I'm with you on that. I'm just saying  we should consult those who it affects the most. They may see a flag as being over the top and maybe disrespectful and tacky. Or they may see it as as generous  and heartfelt gesture.

19 hours ago, darra said:

This is my point exactly.

19 hours ago, darra said:

I'm sure they wouldn't but the danger is that they think we'll you've done bugger all for the last 50 years so why are you bothering now?

3 hours ago, darra said:

All people are saying is that you need to take a step back for a minute. Find out if A) Cardiff club and fans are OK with your ideas. B)/ and this might be the most important. Would the club allow a large flag into the ground? After all they were banned, maybe still are, at S6. I mean I'd hate you to get to the ground only to be told by some jobsworth steward you can't bring that in here mate

23 minutes ago, darra said:

tell you what you go for it and I hope it all works out for you and you are properly lauded for it by all and sundry. BTW I'm neither in or out of favour of it . I'm sure it would be well received but having dealt with lots of grieving people it can affect people in different ways even many years after

You're looking a bit of a patronising prat now, your last statement says it all,you quote me but decide not to read what's actually quoted, because if you had you wouldn't have typed what you had.

Go on then Dr. darra enlighten me,how would it possibly have an adverse effect paying respects to the family dead at a football match?

Well done you though it now seems to have been derailed enough for you to sit back smugly,so the money we could have raised do you now fancy covering that and donating it yourself seen as you've done a cracking job?

Where have I been petronising. I've said go for it and Hopefully it will be well recieved i've also said i'm sure it will. I have put forward my experiences of people suffering loss and grief and how they can react sometimes it isn't pleasant#. It is obviousl;y an emotive subject for you. It was a sad event and one that I remember happening as a child but TBH  until a few days ago I had no idea that it had happened 50 years ago and it would have passed me and many others by. That's not to say it shouldn't be observed

Guest mrbluesky
3 minutes ago, darra said:

Where have I been petronising. I've said go for it and Hopefully it will be well recieved i've also said i'm sure it will. I have put forward my experiences of people suffering loss and grief and how they can react sometimes it isn't pleasant#. It is obviousl;y an emotive subject for you. It was a sad event and one that I remember happening as a child but TBH  until a few days ago I had no idea that it had happened 50 years ago and it would have passed me and many others by. That's not to say it shouldn't be observed

"tell you what you go for it and I hope it all works out for you and you are properly lauded for it by all and sundry.'"

...Don't really need to go on.

Emotive you say? Only about the patronising bile you churn out.

Still not enlightened me to how it could have an adverse effect on the families Dr. darra, do tell though I'm intrigued.

So put your money where your patronising mouth is and cough up, £100 should do it and then let me present it so I can feel all warm inside.

Deal?

The best thing you can do is lock this thread because it's degenerated into a internet brawl,

19 minutes ago, mrbluesky said:

You're looking a bit of a patronising prat now, your last statement says it all,you quote me but decide not to read what's actually quoted, because if you had you wouldn't have typed what you had.

Go on then Dr. darra enlighten me,how would it possibly have an adverse effect paying respects to the family dead at a football match?

Well done you though it now seems to have been derailed enough for you to sit back smugly,so the money we could have raised do you now fancy covering that and donating it yourself seen as you've done a cracking job?

I wouldn't take it to heart and I don't think it would have an adverse affect - but I don't see what it's got to do with football either though to be fair.

There's  a memorial fund that can be donated to if people wish. 

Think it would be nice for fans to show we are not all mindless drunken thugs for a change and regardless of football affiliation we are all human beings and this tragedy has touched us all,  whether that's remembering it at the time or reading about it for the first time in the last few days. 

There's so much hate and vitriol in the world at the moment a little compassion wouldn't go amiss 

7 hours ago, Wolfmanjack said:

Having attended away games for fifty years, and noted the average age of our travelling fans, I'd simply ask how they can "remember" an event that happened before most of them were born. It does, even if it's not intentional, smack of "let's show them how great we are". If we were not playing Cardiff on the day, would our fans have been posting messages of remembrance on their fans forums? I don't think they would. 

Both world wars happened before we were born.......thank god we and future generations "remember" events that happened 

1 hour ago, darklord said:

Think it would be nice for fans to show we are not all mindless drunken thugs for a change and regardless of football affiliation we are all human beings and this tragedy has touched us all,  whether that's remembering it at the time or reading about it for the first time in the last few days. 

There's so much hate and vitriol in the world at the moment a little compassion wouldn't go amiss 

In which case the best thing would be a donation to the memorial fund to ensure that the graves of those who died can be properly maintained. Why waste money on a flag (because that is what it would be a waste of money)? Beginning to think this thread is more about showing what a wonderful bunch of supporters we Owls are rather than doing anything meaningful for the families of those who died.

Some shameful responses in this thread imo

Wednesday drew many fans from mining communities - South Yorkshire is synonymous with coal and steel

Cardiff drew many fans from mining communities - South Wales is synonymous with coal and steel

South Yorkshire and South Wales miners supported each other staunchly throughout the modern history of mining - brothers in arms

A poster has laudably tried to organise a show of empathy and support from one mining community to another on an anniversary of a terrible mining tragedy - and the thread has descenced to this clusterfuck??

What the absolute f*ck has the Marchioness disaster got to do with anything???

Guest mrbluesky
21 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Are we gonna have a banner for the marchioness disaster when we play Fulham

Mods it may be an idea to lock this thread as suggested before.