Aberfan

Guest white kanu

25 minutes ago, mrbluesky said:

Something along the lines of... "116 children 28 adults died on the 21st Oct 1966,sometimes there`s more important things than football... RIP with owls badge and Wales/Cardiff badge??

Just an idea,I`m sure you lot can think of a better one,just remember it`s 8ft x 5ft flag.

Great sentiment but think it would get lost on an 8x5 flag like you say. What about something that will be succinct and stand out. Aberfan, 50 years, not forgotten ...Aberfan, 50 years, remembered (just an idea). Maybe with SWFC or the badge on ... we could leave it with them or their supporters club..  I'm going to the game so happy to help out in anyway at all .. ps. tell me how to pay the tenner as and when

That is a fantastic idea Kanu, I was 7 at the time and remember it and the upset that it caused to all our parents (it was a primary school and all the victims were about my age) and the country as a whole.

Any chance of doing something jointly in conjunction with the Cardiff supporters? 

Guest mrbluesky
7 minutes ago, nuneatonowl1 said:

Great sentiment but think it would get lost on an 8x5 flag like you say. What about something that will be succinct and stand out. Aberfan, 50 years, not forgotten ...Aberfan, 50 years, remembered (just an idea). Maybe with SWFC or the badge on ... we could leave it with them or their supporters club..  I'm going to the game so happy to help out in anyway at all .. ps. tell me how to pay the tenner as and when

Going to leaving at promised donations then if its a goer I will sort(flag) if kanu doesnt mind, thanks for your donation and Iike yoour wording/

Guest mrbluesky
14 minutes ago, nuneatonowl1 said:

I'll chuck £10 in ... not sure how to pay though

Nice one pal,I will sort if its a goer,I`m sure we can get a flag done in the short time.

Given Eaton's comment about not enough time for a flag, what about a wreath from the fans of both clubs with each clubs crest on it (someone needs to put the idea on the Cardiff forum too). Also a simple message on the wreath along the lines of:

In Remembrance of the 146 victims of the Aberfan Disaster 20th October 1966.

And maybe a scroll of some description attached to the wreath with the names of all the victims on the scroll (local press office should be able to do that).

For the donations, can someone set up a page on the Just Giving site like we have done in the past and post the link here.

ALSO CAN MODS PLEASE PIN AS THIS IS A VERY WORTHWHILE CAUSE!

7 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

Given Eaton's comment about not enough time for a flag, what about a wreath from the fans of both clubs with each clubs crest on it (someone needs to put the idea on the Cardiff forum too). Also a simple message on the wreath along the lines of:

In Remembrance of the 146 victims of the Aberfan Disaster 20th October 1966.

And maybe a scroll of some description attached to the wreath with the names of all the victims on the scroll (local press office should be able to do that).

My bad, 21st October 1966.

Also can't see anything yet on Cardiff site and given the scale of the disaster, would like to suggest a minutes silence before kick off, then the wreaths could be laid immediately before.

P.S. I will chuck $50 in.

Edited by Utah Owl

Guest mrbluesky
8 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

My bad, 21st October 1966.

Also can't see anything yet on Cardiff site and given the scale of the disaster, would like to suggest a minutes silence before kick off, then the wreaths could be laid immediately before.

P.S. I will chuck $50 in.

Nice one Utah,whats that in real money!? :) I`ve contacted a flag maker who I`ve explained the situation so just waiting to hear back,but also going to email a flag maker in Cardiff who may help us out,they are done digitally these days so can be churned out in minutes,all we really need is high res badges if anyone can help as we may need them.

Guest mrbluesky

Right, Mrflag.com can turn it around in 7 days,they are based in Cardiff so it could be picked up? 

I am going to ring Monday but I need high res pics with the wording so please step up!!

Guest mrbluesky
34 minutes ago, mrbluesky said:

Going to leaving at promised donations then if its a goer I will sort(flag) if kanu doesnt mind, thanks for your donation and Iike yoour wording/

Unlike my fat finger wording!!lol

It is said that the disaster is the only one where the queen openly wept when she paid a visit shortly after. I have read about this as I was only a babe in arms at the time. 

Would be fantastic show of solidarity with an area that has so much in common with ours. Steel, coal, working class. 

Camera lights for me. Something magical and meaningful. Wreath money should be given to a charity. 

Can I suggets somebody contacts Cardiff FC to gauge their thoughts on this. Could be doubtful I know but they or the families might want to keep it low key. Is it something they commemorate every year?

1 hour ago, mrbluesky said:

Nice one Utah,whats that in real money!? :) I`ve contacted a flag maker who I`ve explained the situation so just waiting to hear back,but also going to email a flag maker in Cardiff who may help us out,they are done digitally these days so can be churned out in minutes,all we really need is high res badges if anyone can help as we may need them.

Presently about 40 quid but by the end of next week probably 150 quid! lol

Shouldn't laugh, my wife's pension from the UK is dropping in real terms each month.

42 minutes ago, darra said:

Can I suggets somebody contacts Cardiff FC to gauge their thoughts on this. Could be doubtful I know but they or the families might want to keep it low key. Is it something they commemorate every year?

Might be best to do this by going through SWFC first, people on here have contact with the club and our PR department don't they?

52 minutes ago, M Royds said:

It is said that the disaster is the only one where the queen openly wept when she paid a visit shortly after. I have read about this as I was only a babe in arms at the time. 

Would be fantastic show of solidarity with an area that has so much in common with ours. Steel, coal, working class. 

Camera lights for me. Something magical and meaningful. Wreath money should be given to a charity. 

I can well believe it Royds, remember Andrew and Edward were both very young at the time, about the same age as many of those who died.

My own mother cried every night when the news reports came on as the disaster and subsequent (futile) rescue efforts unfolded. Seem to recall we had two minutes silence in the school assembly as well.

Edited by Utah Owl

50 minutes ago, darra said:

This. It's a wonderful sentiment which I will contribute to however I can but needs to be with consent of the bereaved / locals.

17 hours ago, white kanu said:

That was my initial thought just something simple like Aberfan 50 years with both clubs crest on. Though I like the phone lights and minutes applause at 50 mins too.

I'd say this is the best shout. Phone lights to represent search lights/ miners lamps?

Edited by ViolaOwls

Somebody put a website on here the other week, bagsoflove.com I've just had a owls/fiorentina flag done by them. Material is like a banner you see outside cafes ect.... A good quality. Takes about 3/4 days for delivery. Why don't you sort one out with them then donate it to the village school after? Maybe try to get match day players to sign it

Guest mrbluesky
48 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

Presently about 40 quid but by the end of next week probably 150 quid! lol

Shouldn't laugh, my wife's pension from the UK is dropping in real terms each month.

lol