Aberfan

Guest white kanu

Guest white kanu
27 minutes ago, keefdave said:

No, sorry I don't think applause would be appropriate for such a tragedy. Applause is for a single person, this was a disaster of huge proportion.

Any suggestions?

Guest mrbluesky
7 hours ago, white kanu said:

Have you put anything on here?

No mate,your suggestion so I thought I`d leave it to you,I`ll Kick off the flag fund with £20 so come on lets get the ball rolling.

Guest white kanu
2 minutes ago, mrbluesky said:

No mate,your suggestion so I thought I`d leave it to you,I`ll Kick off the flag fund with £20 so come on lets get the ball rolling.

I'll match that but all donations of any size accepted. 

Lads , hate to be the bearer of bad news

but most flag websites won't be able to turn around a large flag (which I presume you'll want) in a couple of weeks , we've missed the boat on that . 

I like the phone lights idea, it's swfc related and its been used to show solidarity in football before. 

Maybe propose that on their forum. I'll gladly register if the OP doesn't want to ?

I'm not sure if Cardiff have a big screen but if you can get a message out their maybe via the ticket office or flyers and general publicity to hold a minutes silence on 50 minutes at both ends would be very powerful and emotional. 

Applause on 50 minutes is best idea. Always think attempting a silence during a game is risky; what if there's a shooting chance, a goal or a bad foul? Always a chance of someone shouting out and ruining it too. Must be weird for the players too; do they just stop trying or give the ball to the keeper for the duration? Applause drowns out any background noise or mischief makers and doesn't jar so badly if an event on the pitch leads to other crowd noises.

Agree with the phone lights as a good spectacle during a night match; kind of other worldly or spiritual too.

As you can't really clap and hold your phone up at the same time, how about lights on first then a round of applause?

A great idea. I remember learning about it in school many years after. It's a tragedy that's still remembered today. I'm from South Wales and love the sentiment of the OP. Lights to me seem the most appropriate suggestion, maybe along with black armbands? Plus a message of some sort on their grounds TV screen. If pulled off and even suggesting it shows the class of some of our fans and of some football fans, hats off to you.

Edited by Milan Missing Marble

Guest white kanu

Well it seems to be an idea people are getting on board with so well done Wednesdayites. I'm offline for a bit now so I'll let some more ideas come in and look at getting things moving later.

I'm not British (Norwegian), born 14 years after the tragedy, and must admit I had never heard of Aberfan until today. Now I've read up on it, I'm struck by the absolute horror of it. 

Would be very fitting to have a tribute. 

a fantastic thoughtful OP. I've been working down South Wales area for the last year and made a point of going to Aberfan to pay my respects both at the memorial garden (think that's where the school was?) and also at the cemetery. It brought, and still bring tears to the eyes, seeing all those distinctive, white arch 'graves' on the hillside, the sheer number is awful to see. Honestly not sure how we convey our support and recognition for the memory of the disaster but will wholeheartedly join in, along with my mates who are going down there. The flag would be a great idea but as Eaton said, time is against us unless it was a bed sheet style attempt but not sure how that would look or even be seen. I think the simplistic idea of phone lights on 50 minutes sounds the most feasible option .. unless Cardiff City have something already organised. Other than that, anyone got contacts at the club where the players could walk on and maybe lay a wreath .. just another thought

Guest mrbluesky

Right peeps in the unlikely event we can pull off a flag in time,I need a design on a flag 8ft x 5ft ASAP, so come on you computer savvys knock up a design!!!

It`s £80 plus postage but really need a high res design to go with it,oh yeah and some money to go along with it,we are nearly half way there with £40,you can just post that you are happy to donate and I will do the rest (if ok with kanu?)

Mods can you pin with an addded description?

Cheers.

Guest mrbluesky

Something along the lines of... "116 children 28 adults died on the 21st Oct 1966,sometimes there`s more important things than football... RIP with owls badge and Wales/Cardiff badge??

Just an idea,I`m sure you lot can think of a better one,just remember it`s 8ft x 5ft flag.

I'm happy to donate another £20.  There's a signage company opposite my workplace so I can check on Monday how big a sign they could handle, whehter they could produce in time and how much it might cost.

I can't be at the game but my brother lives down there and is going, so he can give the money across if needed.  Otherwise let me know how to donate.

Great OP - well done White Kanu