Aberfan

Guest white kanu

Guest white kanu

On 21 October it is the fiftieth anniversary of the Aberfan Disaster, which for those of you who don't know was a tragedy where a giant coal slag heap gave way in a land slide burying a school killing 116 primary age children and 28 adults. We play Cardiff on the 19th, and I was wondering if anyone thought we should pay some sort of tribute, particularly given our mining heritage in this region? I can understand if people don't care but I think Wednesday supporters are a cut above the average football fan and we could show our class here.

Made a huge impression on me, I was the same age as the kids that died and something I'll never forget.

Years later I worked for the Red Cross and met a number of volunteers and army personnel who were there. Their stories were horrific.

At one time I had a list of the emergency supplies that the Red Cross used in the rescue attempt, which included a huge amount of cigarettes for the rescuers. Imagine that now.

1 hour ago, white kanu said:

On 21 October it is the fiftieth anniversary of the Aberfan Disaster, which for those of you who don't know was a tragedy where a giant coal slag heap gave way in a land slide burying a school killing 116 primary age children and 28 adults. We play Cardiff on the 19th, and I was wondering if anyone thought we should pay some sort of tribute, particularly given our mining heritage in this region? I can understand if people don't care but I think Wednesday supporters are a cut above the average football fan and we could show our class here.

Fantastic sentiments - from one region of strong mining heritage showing empathy and solidarity to another

I think its a great idea

Guest mrbluesky
5 minutes ago, white kanu said:

Any suggestions on what to do?

Might be worth finding their popular forum and making a suggestion?

Guest white kanu
21 minutes ago, mrbluesky said:

A flag with a tribute on maybe? willing to contribute if needed

That was my initial thought just something simple like Aberfan 50 years with both clubs crest on. Though I like the phone lights and minutes applause at 50 mins too.

I was a 16 year old working Nights that day, the whole Steel works was in shock, tough grown men cried and were thank full that their children were safe.

It made an indelible mark on my life, just as the visit to the War memorials to the 1st world war dead in Belgium did to me at 13.

It is some thing I will never forget.

God Bless and R.I.P

1 hour ago, scram said:

Fantastic sentiments - from one region of strong mining heritage showing empathy and solidarity to another

I think its a great idea

Ditto - is Cardiff nearest footy team? Newport maybe? Anybody?

Guest white kanu

Cardiff is nearest unless you count Merthyr Tydvill but most people in the Taff minefield are Cardiff fans, but it was a tragedy felt across South Wales.