Strongest Team NOT Favourite Players

2 hours ago, Babushka1867 said:

I think it's time for CC to play his strongest team and not some of his more favoured players. People like Wallace need a spell on the bench. Last season I really rated him and though he brought a lot to the team but this season he really hasn't done anything to impress me and we are a few games in. Surely the likes of Buckley has their fitness levels up by now and there's also Reach to introduce. I think that Abdi could do with a spell on the sidelines too because at the moment it's as if he doesn't really know what's being asked of him or it's not his natural role.

If only CC thought to play his strongest team hey instead of playing those he likes!!!!!

We don't see half of what goes on behind the scenes and CC will play the strongest team every game in his opinion just because it might not be yours or mine it his decision to make.

2 hours ago, Babushka1867 said:

Strong team but just like we are now I see no natural width and against good teams where the full backs bomb forward our full backs would get murdered and then criticised on forums like this. My own starting team (but again like you, will probably never get used) is:

Westwood

Lee   Lees   Hutchinson   Pudil

Jones   Bannan

Forestieri   Abdi   Reach

Fletcher

I still think we'd operate best with a 5 in midfield and Fletcher has shown he can lead a line. Forestieri, Abdi and Reach should offer so much in the final third and you've still got the guile and vision of Jones and Bannan sitting in midfield who can screen across and support the full backs if Forestieri or Reach are stranded upfield. 

Even after Wigan you think we play well with 5 in midfield? 

We were twice the team when we went 442.

12 minutes ago, torryowl said:

i'm sure carlos puts out a team that he thinks can win no matter who he picks .....you only have to look at how many of us  pick a different side to see that  there isnt a definative best eleven ..its pointless having a decent sized squad and then not utilising it by picking the same eleven every week .

It's actually quite funny that a lot of us actually pick the same eleven players but just scatter them differently across the pitch.

1 minute ago, coopswfc76 said:

If only CC thought to play his strongest team hey instead of playing those he likes!!!!!

We don't see half of what goes on behind the scenes and CC will play the strongest team every game in his opinion just because it might not be yours or mine it his decision to make.

In that case let's shut down this forum, there's nothing to talk about. Let's just leave it to those behind the scenes.

In the words of Dragons Den....I'm out!

1 hour ago, beloved_aunt said:

I count three players out of position - Lee/Hutch at RB, Reach at LB and Bannan on the right wing.

Before we were in for Reach I knew nothing about him. So my opinion is based on 10 mins on Saturday, plus transfer comments on here.

Many of those comments said Reach is versatile and can play wing or fullback.

Our style of play is for width to come from our fullbacks (Pudil and Hunt/Palmer). Wide midfielders usually cut inside (Wallace and Forestieri/Bannan).

Reach replaced Pudil on Saturday and did ok. 

So I would look to play Reach at left back provided that we continue our current style of play. If we switch to a Stuart Gray type 4-4-2 then maybe not.

2 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Even after Wigan you think we play well with 5 in midfield? 

We were twice the team when we went 442.

Yes, with the right 5. After we conceded early all Wigan did was sit back and try to hold on to what they had. That's what I'm saying about a plan B. I can't really remember us getting at their RWB Gilbey or their LWB Garbutt much at all, even when we did go to a 4-4-2 so clearly we weren't playing with orthodox wide men.

7 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

This is a new way of thinking that I don't agree with. Your first eleven are the elite. The rest of the squad should be striving to join the elite. Injuries, suspensions, lack of form etc are the way in.......if you're good enough. I'm sure there's plenty who cry about players being overworked...I'm not one of them. Carlos seems to wet nurse his players . I don't think it works.

Agreed. Players need to earn a shirt, then earn the right to keep it by playing consistently well.

The likes of Jones, Joao, Matias, Buckley etc need to make a strong case in training, then an undeniable case as a sub. That way the Xl gets stronger and stronger.

I hate rotation.

Your sincerely

Mr A Dinosaur

West Yourkshire

Seriously - hate hate hate rotation. There, feels better now.

Let's face it football IS and will ALWAYS be about opinions and so long as we don't lambast some who make genuine comments I'm all for a good debate.

Put it this way, Carvalhal could get hit by a bus this week and a new manager come in. I bet he wouldn't play the same team that Carlos does.

4 minutes ago, Babushka1867 said:

Yes, with the right 5. After we conceded early all Wigan did was sit back and try to hold on to what they had. That's what I'm saying about a plan B. I can't really remember us getting at their RWB Gilbey or their LWB Garbutt much at all, even when we did go to a 4-4-2 so clearly we weren't playing with orthodox wide men.

As predicted.

5 minutes ago, Babushka1867 said:

We have too much quality to play 451, and not enough goals in the team if we dont play 442.

Occasionally 451 away to tough cookies, but home to the likes of Wigan and Bristol? Thats not a promotion team that has to do that.

1 minute ago, Babushka1867 said:

Carvalhal could get hit by a bus this week and a new manager come in. I bet he wouldn't play the same team that Carlos does.

I bet it wouldn't be much different.

The appointment of Carlos, and his whole philosophy, is around setting a style and replicating it throughout all tiers of the club. Something that will transcend managers.

I expect that Carlos' replacement will come from the existing set up (Bullen?), or will be someone who fits in to the same ethos.

Hopefully, we've seen the end to each new manager wanting wholesale changes. The new manager (Head Coach) will pick up where Carlos leaves it (be he hit by a bus, get poached by a bigger club, get sacked after a few losses, or need a break from the game). As such, I'd expect few changes to his starting 11.

Why do so many people assume Kieren Lee is our best right back? Yes I know he joined as a right back but was just ok there, not great. No evidence he's a better right back than Palmer or Hunt (quite the opposite in fact). 

He's become an excellent central midfielder, but putting him ahead of Palmer or Hunt at RB - in a thread calling for the best team, not favourite individuals - seems extremely odd... 

1 hour ago, HalfFull said:

If we were allowed to play 13 players then it would be a very good team.

However, by hedging your bets, i.e. picking two players for one position, you have highlighted the problem a very strong squad has given Carlos. He has to pick 11 and that guarantees that some good players cannot get into the starting 11. He has to decide which 11 to start with dependent on current form/fitness of his squad, and the opponents to be faced. He isn't going to please everybody as is evident by the posts above.

It's more just where to play hutch but I agree with you, we're going to find out how tough Carlos really is over coming weeks cus he's going to have some unhappy players. Hooper was a given for the bench for me but when he came on on Saturday he was hungry, managed properly it can only be a good thing.

This thread surely just shows what's obvious, that our strongest XI isn't self-evident.

It's enormously good news that we now have players outside the starting XI or even the squad who clearly have claims on a starting place.  Even last season, most first stage replacements were ok at best.

The downside is finding the right combination from different options.  We are not there yet