Villa over confident

Guest 1banana2banana

2 hours ago, zico.b said:

Please no more internet 'battles' with random clubs like Brighton.

An old coach of mine used to say "speak softly and carry a big stick"

I.e stay quiet on social media etc and hit em hard on the pitch.

This is exactly how we should approach this season

Guest domSWFC

Hearing the kit will be altered for the game on Sunday. 

Lees is having two pockets sewn into his shorts for Gestede and Mcormack. 

24 minutes ago, SirSheridan said:

An old coach of mine used to say "speak softly and carry a big stick"

I.e stay quiet on social media etc and hit em hard on the pitch.

This is exactly how we should approach this season

We have to be respectful as well.

Villa are a massive club, a great club. With all due respect to the rest of the division they're in that clutch of teams along with Newcastle, Forest, Leeds and us - maybe Derby and Wolves too - who really shouldn't be in this league if all the stars align the right way. They're new in the division following relegation last year and haven't had to play at this level for as long as I've been watching football.

We also shouldn't let that scare us. They're one of 24 teams who are in this division on merit and because they deserve to be. Arguably especially so, given the embarrassing and shambolic way they surrendered their Premiership place last year. Unlike Newcastle, in my opinion they've failed to recruit adequately (Ross McCormack being an exception, but one that should have happened weeks ago and followed by equally strong business) and are still carrying the core of last seasons hapless and gutless unit. That makes them vulnerable, and it makes an opening day against a team like us - proven strength at this level infront of a 30,000+ crowd - a challenge for them. They've still got quality but so have we. It'll be a very good win for us if we can get it, but it's absolutely winnable. Respect, but no fear.

Edited by sheffield_dave

I know a few Villa supporters as I live 'darn sarf' and they are all over confident that they'll just pee this league, as they're too big to be in Championship etc etc 

i generally have to tell them that the Championship is not an easy league. The tackles are gonna be a lot harder and the prima donas will be rolling on the pitch a lot... But mainly I say "that's what I said 16 years ago" because I honestly thought we were too big to not be in the Prem. But after suffering so much poo for nigh on two decades, I can see why we struggled & just how blinkered fans can be. 

I I hope Villa struggle and it's a big wake up call - if they bounce straight back up, after all the grafting SWFC has done, then I will not be a happy Owl 

WAWAW - c'mon Sunday 16:30

13 hours ago, cross owl said:

Pity they didn't have enough to beat pretty much every single team in the Prem . 

I wonder if their over-confident fans realise that they only won 1 more game than us against Premiership opposition last season :duntmatter:

13 hours ago, Tommo_SWFC said:

It's not the ability of the players, it's the mentality that could be their downfall if they don't stop the rot of last season.

Which they may have got over - people making far to much of this.

...And we may still have a hangover from the PO finals defeat - who knows?  

Only a proper competitive game will determine where both teams really are - friendlies mean very little.

They will also have McCormack which will lift spirits - but providing Hutch and Lees start and finish the 90 we should be solid enough to cope: my concern is if either of these 2 pick up an injury and Semedo has to come on.  Semedo tinted specs or not, IMO he isn't the right level to go in at CH and cope with a semi decent, all be it misfiring Ex Prem strike force.

This game will be a lot tougher than people think and yes, while we are stronger than last season in some areas I feel there is a touch too much over confidence from our side at the moment.

Edited by Earlsfieldowl

2 hours ago, j17tjp said:

I know a few Villa supporters as I live 'darn sarf' and they are all over confident that they'll just pee this league, as they're too big to be in Championship etc etc

i generally have to tell them that the Championship is not an easy league. The tackles are gonna be a lot harder and the prima donas will be rolling on the pitch a lot... But mainly I say "that's what I said 16 years ago" because I honestly thought we were too big to not be in the Prem. But after suffering so much poo for nigh on two decades, I can see why we struggled & just how blinkered fans can be.

I I hope Villa struggle and it's a big wake up call - if they bounce straight back up, after all the grafting SWFC has done, then I will not be a happy Owl

WAWAW - c'mon Sunday 16:30

Have you told him that if Championship forwards get hacked down, then the yellow card is awarded to the hacked, rather than the hacker.

Guest The Horse

Their fans might be over confident but Roberto di Matteo is no fool and will have done his homework on us.

Yes, they were awful last year but to think that RDM won't have them fired up added to the fact that their players will have a point to prove as well is naive on our part.

I firmly believe we are a better team than them but it will be a very tough game.

A fair mix of opinions on their forums, a bit like OT. Some blind faith vegetables, we will win just cos we're playing, right down to the suicide squad who think they'll lose every game.

The best remark was 'we haven't changed from last season'. I hope he's the accurate one, cos they were abysmal. And the chap in the original article describes them as 'terminally crap' :laugh:

1 hour ago, zzmdu said:

Have you told him that if Championship forwards get hacked down, then the yellow card is awarded to the hacked, rather than the hacker.

Good point.

The standard of refereeing will be a massive shock to Villa and Newcastle fans and their players.

Blind and barking mad in equal measure.

Naarch have recent experience that no protection is afforded to pacey skilful players.