Well done to the club on tickets

Guest Deleted member

It's a forum to discuss Sheffield Wednesday and football. And the response needed isn't to charge even more than our peers - to be even worse than everyone else. That's so far from taking the moral high ground it's not even on the same page of the map.

I didn't say we are taking the moral high ground. I'm saying we can't take the moral high ground unless we want to go bust.

Our average cost per fan isn't more than our peers when you take into account the full range of both ticket types (ST's, members, non-members), and the range of categories.

Furthermore, as stated by the chairman, our peers, many of whom we are trying to catch up with, have parachute payments.

Edited by nebneeb

Guest Deleted member

http://www.football365.com/f365-says/9919055/F365-Focus

Take a four-hour drive from Swansea, and you come across another stark example of football's ability to squeeze the last drop from every fan. Last week Sheffield Wednesday released details about the price structure of their home match tickets. There was no accompanying information to explain the news that, for the highest category games, adult tickets in the club's South Stand would be priced at £52. Under-11s would be allowed in for £21.

The brainwave of new owner Dejphon Chansiri, these price increases are ludicrous for a Championship team, whatever their aspirations of promotion. Of equal concern was the way the news was conveyed via the back door.

"The matchday ticket price structure came as a big shock to Wednesday fans mainly because it wasn't communicated by the club," said supporter and Sheffield Star columnist Laura Jones. "The prices appeared on the club website without explanation. It took two days for the club to address the issue in the form of a chairman's statement."

When that statement finally came, few Wednesday supporters can have been appeased. "Regarding tickets, as with almost every football club, we pressed home - and continue to press home - the advantages of buying a Season Ticket," Chansiri finally explained, alongside the unacceptably capitalised 'S' and 'T'. "That commitment guarantees by far the best savings and numerous additional benefits."

Chansiri also mentioned that supporters could save £5 on each ticket by purchasing a club membership for £30 per season. Securing money up front is clearly key.

The most worrying message was yet to come. "If we are to achieve our ultimate aim of promotion, we must embark on this journey together," was Chansiri's concluding message. If in doubt, resort to emotional blackmail. The limits of FFFP were supposed to force clubs to do things the 'right' way. Instead, the message is this: Signings will be made, but only if you fund them. Fail to do so, and fans only have themselves to blame.

The other conclusion is that many Sheffield Wednesday fans will no longer be able to attend home games regularly, and many families will struggle to bring through the next generation of supporters. Football should be accommodating and inviting; instead it is becoming increasingly elitist, open only to those with middle-class incomes.

In January, a report revealed that South Yorkshire is the fifth poorest region in Northern Europe, and it has the highest level of child poverty in the country. The region also has the second highest unemployment of any region in the UK, and average earnings in Sheffield have dropped by almost £2,000 per person since 2008 - the worst fall in Yorkshire. Still, the multimillionaire owner says "we're all in it together" so that'll keep everyone warm at night.

Not every game at Hillsborough this season will set home supporters back £52, of course. The opening day fixture against Bristol City (promoted from League One) will cost only £36-£43 for adults. You can get a ticket for a Wednesday night game against Reading for £36, if you book a month in advance.

The avarice continues apace. Want to have a long-sleeved home shirt with the club captain's name on the back delivered to your home? That'll be £70.85, please. There is a £2 discount for short sleeves, mercifully.

Some will not care, of course, and 

fans at York City on Saturday certainly seem pleased with their rich owner. There is no doubt that an element of the club's support will stomach the hike and manage, comfortably or otherwise. For balance it is worth pointing out that season tickets only increased by £50 on an 'early bird' basis.

But others won't be able to stomach it. They will either be pushed into it, their addiction to their club laid bare by missing out in other aspects of their life, or they'll simply have to say no. If this is going to be Wednesday's big push for promotion with their ambitious new owners, they will follow it on BBC Radio Sheffield.

This is not to say that Chansiri is a dictatorial monster. He has injected funds into much-needed developments at Hillsborough, and begun a squad overhaul. But to increase the cost of a match ticket by £20 from one season to the next is a deeply concerning development.

Whatever the case, there is a sad home truth: This isn't the fans' club anymore, it's Chansiri's. They are now at the whim of a multimillionaire businessman - son of the 40th richest man in Thailand who makes his money in frozen fish - and that has never been more apparent. He has previously admitted that he bought Wednesday because his son persuaded him. His son is ten.

"We will do whatever is appropriate to invest in the club to get them to the Premier League," was the message from Sheffield Wednesday's owner upon taking over. That's exactly the issue - fleecing supporters has become the depressing rule, not the exception. Just another tale of accepted exploitation...

I didn't say we are taking the moral high ground. I'm saying we can't take the moral high ground unless we want to go bust.

Our average cost per fan isn't more than our peers when you take into account the full range of both ticket types (ST's, members, non-members), and the range of categories.

Furthermore, as stated by the chairman, our peers, many of whom we are trying to catch up with, have parachute payments.

And I never said you were. I'm saying trying to fleece the fans re the opening game - and miscalculating the response it would get - is so far from the taking the moral high ground it's off the scale. Plenty of clubs have got promoted without parachute payments and without rip off prices. Our average price is a mystery at the moment. The opening day price is scandalous.

And I never said you were. I'm saying trying to fleece the fans re the opening game - and miscalculating the response it would get - is so far from the taking the moral high ground it's off the scale. Plenty of clubs have got promoted without parachute payments and without rip off prices. Our average price is a mystery at the moment. The opening day price is scandalous.

Ah yes...but had they already assembled a side capable of winning not just the Championship, but the Champions League?!?!?!

I'll have you know that we've spent 2.5 million - 2.5 fooooooking million - on a player, which instantly means that we are promotion contenders and that a hike of over 40% is completely justified - putting a game with Sheffield Wednesday in the same bracket as watching the Wimbledon Final from the Royal box.

FACT!

Edited by SiJ

And your bringing to the debate.........nothing.

That comment was clearly helpful!

What's the point.

People have arged this with you over multiple pages and multiple threads.

And I never said you were. I'm saying trying to fleece the fans re the opening game - and miscalculating the response it would get - is so far from the taking the moral high ground it's off the scale. Plenty of clubs have got promoted without parachute payments and without rip off prices.

Going round in circles.

Providing an incentive to buy season tickets and memberships to fans that want to attend regularly, or as you put it "fleece" the fans who only want to turn up to the most expensive 2 games in a season.

Since FFP which clubs have got promoted with cheaper prices?

Our average price is a mystery at the moment. The opening day price is scandalous.

You can take a stab at it bearing in mind more than 50% of the attendance of every game is season ticket holders.

The other % remains a mystery, but a fair guess is to pick the middle of all the categories, and factor in membership.

£31 Adult ticket at Man Utd for the opening game v Tottenham

U16 - £13 (anywhere in the ground)

And again.............. They could charge nothing and it wouldn't make a difference.

We are losing money.

If you are going to argue, at least follow the boards and keep up.

Maybe if you read a single flipping post other than banging on you might stop repeating yourself.

What's the point.

People have arged this with you over multiple pages and multiple threads.

Not just me- several others

I want better football and am prepared to pay more. Some cant afford it and thats sad and  i do feel for them. However, some just dont want to afford it and would have whinged anyway. The club now reduce prices for families and we still get people whinging.

How am I wrong in this. They whinge for cheaper deals- got cheaper- still whinge 

Ah yes...but had they already assembled a side capable of winning not just the Championship, but the Champions League?!?!?!

I'll have you know that we've spent 2.5 million - 2.5 fooooooking million - on a player, which instantly means that we are promotion contenders and that a hike of over 40% is completely justified - putting a game with Sheffield Wednesday in the same bracket as watching the Wimbledon Final from the Royal box.

FACT!

Please can you sort me one of those out for next year? In FACT, I'll pay you double the A* category for a Wimbledon final ticket in the Royal box, and donate £100 to a charity of your choice.

Cheers in advance.

Not just me- several others

I want better football and am prepared to pay more. Some cant afford it and thats sad and i do feel for them. However, some just dont want to afford it and would have whinged anyway. The club now reduce prices for families and we still get people whinging.

How am I wrong in this. They whinge for cheaper deals- got cheaper- still whinge

They 'whinge' because it's gone from outrageously expensive for families to very expensive.

Still too expensive.

If they announced tickets were £100 a pop, and you whinged that they should be cheaper, would you stop whinging if they took your advice and dropped it to £95 a pop instead?

£31 Adult ticket at Man Utd for the opening game v Tottenham

U16 - £13 (anywhere in the ground)

Please provide the link to where anyone can buy one?

(Genuinely, I know someone who will want to get one...)

They 'whinge' because it's gone from outrageously expensive for families to very expensive.

Still too expensive.

If they announced tickets were £100 a pop, and you whinged that they should be cheaper, would you stop whinging if they took your advice and dropped it to £95 a pop instead?

I really do not like it when you say if they were £100 - they are not - there is no point in this statement. £100 is 150% more than current prices.

The drop the club has offered on one of our most expensive games for families is also more that £5%. (granted you buy membership first- this is for families attending around 8+ games a year though)

People have expressed their concerns over ticket prices, others have supported the ticket prices, and the Club has acknowledged the concerns and have promised a degree of flexibility and that they don't want to price people out.

Why not now leave it in the hands of the Club, who I'm sure will monitor attendance/income/affordability as the season goes on and make any amends accordingly? Seems a waste of time debating this now given the Club statement on the issue.

Guest Theboylangers

Just a quick point on this.

I can go to the Bristol City game on the first day of the season if I want. No other commitments.

I don't get to many games due to work/family so I won't be buying a membership as it won't be cost effective to do so.

I like the South Stand so that's where I want to sit.

The price will be £46.

Will I pay it?

No. Simply because I think it's way too expensive for what I'm getting. And I can afford it if I want.

I realise that all games won't be this price and I may well attend other matches. But in reality, my price point will be £35 maximum as that is what I am willing to pay for 2nd tier football.

So without membership/family tickets, what can the club do to get me into the ground?

I can go to the Bristol City game on the first day of the season if I want. No other commitments.

I don't get to many games due to work/family so I won't be buying a membership as it won't be cost effective to do so.

The price will be £46.

Will I pay it?

No. Simply because I think it's way too expensive for what I'm getting. And I can afford it if I want.

I realise that all games won't be this price and I may well attend other matches. But in reality, my price point will be £35 maximum as that is what I am willing to pay for 2nd tier football.

So without membership/family tickets, what can the club do to get me into the ground?

No but it also sounds like you dont want to go that much either.

The point being that you do not want to sit on the kop restricts you and it will all season.

This is what im saying some fans dont want to go and want to moan. Maybe you think its to dear but to not swap stands to make it a little easier on your pocket is a bit pathetic quite frankly.

Sounds like you will be missing this first game then- Reading is next and it is cheaper- save your money for that one.

Edited by SouthernOwl24

The price will be £46.

Will I pay it?

I can go to the Bristol City game on the first day of the season if I want. Already bought my season ticket, no other commitments.

I like the Grandstand so that's where I sit.

The price was £480.

Did I pay it?

Yes. Simply because I fuçking love Wednesday, and I'm addicted to the ecstasy of being there to watch us win thrilling matches. I can afford it because I choose to make life-style choices all year round to ensure I have enough money.

I realise that if I didn't have a season ticket, and only attended a few games a season I would have to pay the equivalent of more for any given game, but over the course of the season I would spend much less on the club than I do currently.

I only want to attend the match if I've had a blowjob from the lass in the morning, and if the sun is shining.

So without a prostitute and climate manipulation, what can the club do to get me into the ground?

Edited by nebneeb

Guest Fedor

No but it also sounds like you dont want to go that much either.

The point being that you do not want to sit on the kop restricts you and it will all season.

This is what im saying some fans dont want to go and want to moan. Maybe you think its to dear but to not swap stands to make it a little easier on your pocket is a bit pathetic quite frankly.

Sounds like you will be missing this first game then- Reading is next and it is cheaper- save your money for that one.

You come across as a reyt bell-end