Well done to the club on tickets

Guest Deleted member

OK - serious post.

You've said you want to spend £35. So lets take the only games that have published prices as an example...

Bristol match, sit in the Grandstand instead - same facilities, padded seat, more legroom, higher up view (arguably better depending on personal preference). £42

Reading match, again sit in the Grandstand because you want to reclaim some of the "extra" you paid for Bristol. £33

Average is £2.50 more than you'd like per game.

Yes it's more, but not by much. My lunch cost nearly double that today.

You can quite easily swap the Bristol match for one of the others this season that will be a C or lower cat, and you'll pay less than you said you were willing to.

But you are exactly who the club are targeting with the membership, to turn you into a fan who goes to more games a season.

Say you go in the Grandstand for Bristol and back to your beloved South stand for Reading...

Average price is now £34 for those 2 games.

The 1-off membership cost becomes better and better value the more games you attend... hence the incentive/carrot for you to simultaneously get better value for money whilst the club generates more revenue.

And this chap who is being targeted is actually being put off by the tactics. Having to become a member could put as many off as it encourages. Just make the prices attractive in the first place, provide good football and there's no need for memberships, EIGHT categories etc.

Guest Theboylangers

OK - serious post.

You've said you want to spend £35. So lets take the only games that have published prices as an example...

Bristol match, sit in the Grandstand instead - same facilities, padded seat, more legroom, higher up view (arguably better depending on personal preference). £42

Reading match, again sit in the Grandstand because you want to reclaim some of the "extra" you paid for Bristol. £33

Average is £2.50 more than you'd like per game.

Yes it's more, but not by much. My lunch cost nearly double that today.

You can quite easily swap the Bristol match for one of the others this season that will be a C or lower cat, and you'll pay less than you said you were willing to.

But you are exactly who the club are targeting with the membership, to turn you into a fan who goes to more games a season.

Say you go in the Grandstand for Bristol and back to your beloved South stand for Reading...

Average price is now £34 for those 2 games.

The 1-off membership cost becomes better and better value the more games you attend... hence the incentive/carrot for you to simultaneously get better value for money whilst the club generates more revenue.

Having ignored your sarcasm filled previous response to me, I don't disagree with what you are saying here.

If it was £35 on the South/Grandstand without a membership, I would be there. Maybe I'm splitting hairs on the price point but I've already stated that membership isn't going to be worth it unless I attend 7 games or more. At this point, I can't commit to that.

Individual circumstances and I understand that the club can't cater for everyone. Just in my case, I think for the casual walk up it's not value for money.

And all this talk about only being £x dearer than before misses the point that people perceive the prices as poor value. If the club supporters are willing to pay £39 presumably they're willing to pay £40 as it's only a quid dearer. And if they're happy to pay £40 then they presumably would be happy to pay £41 as it's only a quid dearer. And so £42 is fine, which makes £43 fine and then £44 etc etc.

In fact people have to draw the line somewhere. A lot of people who don't want to buy a membership will look at whether a 2nd division game is worth £39 and think it isn't. I think that makes this a huge missed opportunity for the 1st game of the season and it makes me more sad than angry.

Guest Theboylangers

And all this talk about only being £x dearer than before misses the point that people perceive the prices as poor value. If the club supporters are willing to pay £39 presumably they're willing to pay £40 as it's only a quid dearer. And if they're happy to pay £40 then they presumably would be happy to pay £41 as it's only a quid dearer. And so £42 is fine, which makes £43 fine and then £44 etc etc.

In fact people have to draw the line somewhere. A lot of people who don't want to buy a membership will look at whether a 2nd division game is worth £39 and think it isn't. I think that makes this a huge missed opportunity for the 1st game of the season and it makes me more sad than angry.

Spot on.

And this chap who is being targeted is actually being put off by the tactics. Having to become a member could put as many off as it encourages. Just make the prices attractive in the first place, provide good football and there's no need for memberships, EIGHT categories etc.

I'm so glad you aren't in charge of the budget.

The prices are attractive in the first place - but only for certain games, BECAUSE of the categories. If you only want to attend a few games there isn't an issue because there will be enough games in the lower categories.

The issue is for the fans who DON'T want to go to ANY of the games that are within their budget, but DO want to go to ALL the games that are out of their budget, but DON'T want to get a membership and get better value by going to more games, etc.

Guest Deleted member

Please provide the link to where anyone can buy one?

(Genuinely, I know someone who will want to get one...)

Sold out

Have we sold or opening game out yet?

Presumably if everything is as Southernowl describes tickets must be limited by now

I'm so glad you aren't in charge of the budget.

The prices are attractive in the first place - but only for certain games, BECAUSE of the categories. If you only want to attend a few games there isn't an issue because there will be enough games in the lower categories.

The issue is for the fans who DON'T want to go to ANY of the games that are within their budget, but DO want to go to ALL the games that are out of their budget, but DON'T want to get a membership and get better value by going to more games, etc.

Are you Donald Rumsfeld in disguise? Just out of curiosity - do many other clubs have 8 categories plus other special offers? Are you and southern boy actually in charge of this policy and that's why you're defending the indefensible. Come clean!

So you think this Bristol City pricing strategy has been a success do you? Garnered lots of good publicity and got the fans onside has it?

Sold out

Presumably if everything is as Southernowl describes tickets must be limited by now

So if we sold 100 tickets at £10 a pop, whilst charging much more for the vast majority of the other seats, so realistically hardly anyone was able to get the cheap tickets, that would make it all OK then?

Not getting into a new debate about what we need to do to sell out, the historical data shows we don't sell out when the price goes down.

Guest Theboylangers

I'm not whinging or moaning. And I can afford it if I want.

Everything has it's value.

I've said in previous threads that I think the pricing strategy could be a clever move by the club.

However, in my opinion, it may put off the casual walk up fans for certain games, like myself for the Bristol City game.

Guest Deleted member

So if we sold 100 tickets at £10 a pop, whilst charging much more for the vast majority of the other seats, so realistically hardly anyone was able to get the cheap tickets, that would make it all OK then?

Not getting into a new debate about what we need to do to sell out, the historical data shows we don't sell out when the price goes down.

Way to go in using completely irrelevant pricing to justify an already weak argument

*high five*

I think with the sense of optimism around - even I was feeling upbeat despite signing up a manager and players I'd never heard of - the first game of the season was a chance to get a shed load of people in, and that included away fans on the up after promotion. Suck people in show them the club thinks about them. Instead they sent the price soaring in percentage terms and then gave people the sop of a cheaper price for a midweek game. It's a missed opportunity.

Sold out

I really have not said anything of the sort what I have said previously is that the £10 tickets provide little revenue as it didnt really increase matchday attendance. We only need 1 in 4 walkups to attend to make same revenue for these at the bristol game- which I am confident we will. 

Would love you to point out where I have said this? 

Guest Deleted member

I really have not said anything of the sort what I have said previously is that the £10 tickets provide little revenue as it didnt really increase matchday attendance. We only need 1 in 4 walkups to attend to make same revenue for these at the bristol game- which I am confident we will. 

Would love you to point out where I have said this? 

First - you point out where I said it should be £10 a ticket

Are you Donald Rumsfeld in disguise? Just out of curiosity - do many other clubs have 8 categories plus other special offers? Are you and southern boy actually in charge of this policy and that's why you're defending the indefensible. Come clean!

So you think this Bristol City pricing strategy has been a success do you? Garnered lots of good publicity and got the fans onside has it?

Many clubs use the category system. Check others before talking rubbish

First - you point out where I said it should be £10 a ticket

Im not getting into childish games Nigel just stating that no pricing seems to help us sell out.

I have never said that we have limited tickets or will be close to selling out against Bristol. You stated I had- Im asking you to show me.

I stopped reading at "child poverty".   If you want to see poverty go to India, Africa, Brazil or Russia.  I can't take the opinion of anyone who thinks there is poverty in the UK seriously.

It's time to stop the debate about ticket prices, everything has been said and DC has taken note.  The whole season won't cost as much as people are implying (but it will be more than last season).

Despite people arguing on here, we all want the same thing don't we?  Affordable football at the highest level.  We really don't know whether we will achieve that or not but we should all support DC in his undoubted stringent efforts.  He said he will make mistakes (and BC is one) but let's give him the benefit of the doubt and show a little patience.

Guest Deleted member

I didnt say you had at all

I said that presumably - as we now have a team fitting of Champions League status, and a stadium suitable for hosting the World Cup Final itself - ticket prices and offers that make it attractive to all but the most poverty stricken supporter - we must have nearly sold out?

I didnt say you had at all

I said that presumably - as we now have a team fitting of Champions League status, and a stadium suitable for hosting the World Cup Final itself - ticket prices and offers that make it attractive to all but the most poverty stricken supporter - we must have nearly sold out?

What a stupid post from such an older man. Would rather debate with Rickygoo when he tells me off for my spelling.

Go on then Nigel- what would you introduce price wise- how would you help and try and balance the books as well?

Edited by SouthernOwl24