Vic Buckingham

Guest ahalftimereport

Guest ahalftimereport

Hi fellas,

Not sure how many of you will remember Vic Buckingham, but just though you might be interested in this article about him. Vic managed Wednesday for three seasons, finishing 6th on each occasion and losing to Barcelona in the inter-cities fairs cup quarter-final in his last season, when his contract wasn't renewed, largely because of the 1964 betting scandal.

The scandal has tainted Buckingham's legacy in Britain but he is still widely celebrated on the continent, especially at Ajax and Barcelona, where he played a pivotal role in the way in which both teams play the game.

Anyway, for those of you interested, the piece is here:

http://ahalftimereport.com/2015/06/24/from-reynolds-to-buckingham-total-football/

Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place, new to the forum. Cheers. 

Wow, I'd heard of him but genuinely never knew he was at Ajax and Barca. Just looked him up on Wikipedia as well and they state the total football thing too.

Lots of people say Cruyff's influence was the legacy that's lead to today's great Barcelona side.

So in summary, it's cos of Wednesday why Barca are European champions

Edited by PeteG_1984

Not renewing Vic Buckingham's contract was yet another terrible decision by Eric "Mr Sheffield Wednesday" Taylor.

We started the 60's with a great manager (Harry Catterick) and a great team.

We finished the 60's with a terrible manager (Danny Williams) and a terrible team.

And nowhere to stand out of the f*****g rain.

I always thoughts his cards were numbered after losing at Newport County 3-2 in the FAC away in Jan 1964.

The FA Cup was big business in those days so that was a financial blow.

I thought the football we played in the early part of the 1961-2 season was as good as I've ever seen us play.  Easily as good as the first Ron Atkinson era.  Close passing game.  Nicer to watch than the Catterick teams IMO.

Sacking Vic and appointing the dour Alan Brown was a huge mistake.  Unfortunately folk just remember us getting to the 1966 Cup Final.   Our league form under Brown was never good.

I always thoughts his cards were numbered after losing at Newport County 3-2 in the FAC away in Jan 1964.

The FA Cup was big business in those days so that was a financial blow.

I thought the football we played in the early part of the 1961-2 season was as good as I've ever seen us play.  Easily as good as the first Ron Atkinson era.  Close passing game.  Nicer to watch than the Catterick teams IMO.

Sacking Vic and appointing the dour Alan Brown was a huge mistake.  Unfortunately folk just remember us getting to the 1966 Cup Final.   Our league form under Brown was never good.

Buckingham wasn't sacked....simply his contract wasn't renewed. And that, effectively, was down to the bribes scandal because the directors took that as a symbol of his easy going attitude. So they brought in a more authoritarian manager in Alan Brown.

Although I saw quite a few games from the Buckingham era I really can't remember it. My dad always used to say, though, that it was the best football he ever saw a Wednesday side play.

Buckingham wasn't sacked....simply his contract wasn't renewed. And that, effectively, was down to the bribes scandal because the directors took that as a symbol of his easy going attitude. So they brought in a more authoritarian manager in Alan Brown.

Although I saw quite a few games from the Buckingham era I really can't remember it. My dad always used to say, though, that it was the best football he ever saw a Wednesday side play.

I'd probably go along with that.....shame he never seems to get a mention when we get these "best manager" threads. Probably the best manager we've had in the time I've been going to Hillsborough, his pedigree just can't be dismissed.

I would agree that Vic doesn't get the respect he deserves for his years at Owlerton.

People remember the Catterick years because we finished 2nd and because he went on to become one of the top managers in the country.

And, as mentioned above, Brown took us to the Cup Final (losing to Catterick's Everton...).

Buckingham was sandwiched between those two, and unfortunately the biggest news about Wednesday when he was manager was the bribes scandal.

However, the team played some great football and were always up round the top of the 1st Division.

A true gentleman, liked by Owls fans and also throughout football.

I recall Vics time at Hillsbro with great affection,we played some great football that didnt always bring the result we deserved.

Under Vic we sold Kay to everton,it wasnt a popular decision,vic brought in Mark pancho Pearson from Man utd,like them,we never really got the best out of pancho,on his day he was brilliant but alas that was infrequent.

Vic was pretty laid back  and paid the price for what was deemed indiscipline over the betting scandal,and overlooking Bobby Craigs drinking,which was a big mistake by the board.

I can still recall vic walking through the fans outside the ground,sporting his trade mark trilby hat and a raincoat over his arm,he talked openly with supporters.

The board made Vic a scapegoat for the betting, citing poor discipline and went the other way with Alan brown who took the club in a totally different direction,and was a VERY strict guy and a shadow of his predecessor,