Brian Woodall

Guest sotonowl

Yep, remember him well, went to the first game against weeds so it must have been a cup game, draw 1-1 IIRC and weeds fan at side of me telling me thats the end of you lot now and i thought it was as well, lol, beat the 1-3 at elland road again IIRC and Woodall got 2 again IIRC, oh FFS i'm getting old.

I think they did. L××ds won the league that year so it was arguably our best result that season. 3-1 away win. Mind you we did beat the current European champs 5-4 at Hillsborough as well. Great days. Still don't know how we went down the following season.

My favourite moment in the game at Elland Road came as we were beginning to run the clock down. Their fans were becoming quite irritated by this, we were given a free kick that Peter Eustace took an age over. First off it took a discussion or two to decide who would be taking the kick about 35 yards out, eventually Eustace wiped his boots on the back of his socks a couple of times. As the referee was coming over Eustace commenced his run up and blasted the ball out of the ground.

hOwled with laughter as the Leeds fans went crazy lol

Out of all the matches I have seen between the two teams this one takes top billing. Still got the cuttings from the Star the next day with the "Wonderful Woodall" headlines. still remember Peter Eustace putting the ball over the stand to help run the clock down. We even got back home in time to watch the highlighta on TV.

Sadly Brian Woodall is no longer with us but he is etched in Wednesday's folklore because of that night.

This is a great article from a Weeds fan about the tie with lots of good photos and match reports

http://www.ozwhitelufc.net.au/08-01-1969%20LUFC%20v%20Sheffield%20Wednesday.htm

Guest minsk owl

Out of all the matches I have seen between the two teams this one takes top billing. Still got the cuttings from the Star the next day with the "Wonderful Woodall" headlines. still remember Peter Eustace putting the ball over the stand to help run the clock down. We even got back home in time to watch the highlighta on TV.

Sadly Brian Woodall is no longer with us but he is etched in Wednesday's folklore because of that night.

This is a great article from a Weeds fan about the tie with lots of good photos and match reports

http://www.ozwhitelufc.net.au/08-01-1969%20LUFC%20v%20Sheffield%20Wednesday.htm

Brian Woodall (born 6 June 1948, Chesterdied 4 May 2007,Chester) was a professional footballer who played in The Football League for four clubs.

Guest minsk owl

Great photo, just remembered how good Wilf Smith was.

another full back, ( top left in the pic ) , who never really played much for us, ( due to Megson and Smith ), but went on to be a reasonably successful manager