Reading Fan Chat – Reading v Sheff Wed

Saturday 31st January, 2015 (Championship)

As always, friendly greetings from daib0.  Onto our game together this coming Saturday – and I wondered if I could have a few views ONCE AGAIN (!) from yourselves to inform the members on Reading’s “Royals Rendezvous†. Guaranteed absolutely no ‘wind ups’ on our forum.

Whilst I’d be grateful for anyone contributing with anything on this thread I’d just like to point you all towards a few ideas. These will really help us. Any snippet reproduced will always be fully credited by showing your forum and member name. 

Just a few basic easy things – here goes:

A] ** As we speak Wednesday are only three places off play-offs, but as all the top teams are going well there a nine-points divide has opened up. Do you think you can claw that back and really bite amongst the presently placed play-off clubs?

B] ** How generally  is your squad clicking together this season – any useful additions in the Winter transfer window? – and any likely to start who should Reading particularly fear? (OK, I know you’re tempted but don’t just say ‘everyone’!) ... 

C] ** How strong do you see the general level of the Championship this season? Is Reading’s very modest season coming as a surprise, after all, this will almost surely be our worst finish in over a decade?

D] **Just wondered, any special matches you remember between Wednesday  and Reading, for good or bad?  â€“ funny, we’ve only met 17 times in well more than a hundred years!

E] ** Our season time in Reading has been a bit turbulent; Russian owner Zingarevich to Thai owners: Nigel Adkins to Steve Clarke. Clarke is steadying the ship, it’s true we’re leaking less goals, but the forwards are very goal shy too. If you know something about Clarke, how would you rate him?

F] ** So on to the weekend game? How do you see the match going? By all means leave a prediction here even if you’ve given it or will give it in another thread! 

Our main Match Presentation/Thread - pre-match chat, live comments and final whistle - is here: …  http://royalsrendezvous.co.uk/topic/10262655/1   … fullest respect as always shown to opposition fans and a mountain of information on your club …any small inaccuracies, do feel welcome to point out so that future productions are even better!

Cheers, and many thanks in advance for any contributions

daib0, and the team on “RR†

A] ** As we speak Wednesday are only three places off play-offs, but as all the top teams are going well there a nine-points divide has opened up. Do you think you can claw that back and really bite amongst the presently placed play-off clubs?

No chance, we don't score goals and the players in the squad simply aren't good enough to change that, we're difficult to break down and therefore difficult to beat, but that won't be enough for a play off push, would be happy with a solid mid-table finish though, which would still exceed pre-season expectations.

B] ** How generally  is your squad clicking together this season – any useful additions in the Winter transfer window? – and any likely to start who should Reading particularly fear? (OK, I know you’re tempted but don’t just say ‘everyone’!) ... 

Nobody to fear in attack, we're incredibly blunt,  but you have to get up pretty early to get beyond our central defenders and goalkeeper, should be a few nominations for the championship team of the year from those Lees, Loovens and Westwood. 

C] ** How strong do you see the general level of the Championship this season? Is Reading’s very modest season coming as a surprise, after all, this will almost surely be our worst finish in over a decade?

It's been a lot stronger than this before , as ever with the championship anybody can beat anybody though

D] **Just wondered, any special matches you remember between Wednesday  and Reading, for good or bad?  â€“ funny, we’ve only met 17 times in well more than a hundred years!

Wouldn't say special, just nice to pick up results against Reading recently, we took a few hammerings a few years ago that needed sorting out, extremely fortunate/harsh red card at Madejski last season, still funny

F] ** So on to the weekend game? How do you see the match going? By all means leave a prediction here even if you’ve given it or will give it in another thread! 

0-0, unless Reading score

Do you do a turn?

If I've got it right from your words, we've got a dozen on the team. But I've got things pretty organized, I tend to do the sort of 'embassador' stuff for our forum and the match presentations ... 

Unlikely. The players just need to win as many games as they can and us fans (clappers) can dream.

Team is very together. Baker is a useful addition and we are hoping Keane can contribute some goals

Not as strong as last year but form can fluctuate wildly

E] ** Our season time in Reading has been a bit turbulent; Russian owner Zingarevich to Thai owners: Nigel Adkins to Steve Clarke. Clarke is steadying the ship, it’s true we’re leaking less goals, but the forwards are very goal shy too. If you know something about Clarke, how would you rate him?

Wednesday win!

As always, friendly greetings from daib0. Onto our game together this coming Saturday – and I wondered if I could have a few views ONCE AGAIN (!) from yourselves to inform the members on Reading’s “Royals Rendezvous†. Guaranteed absolutely no ‘wind ups’ on our forum.

Whilst I’d be grateful for anyone contributing with anything on this thread I’d just like to point you all towards a few ideas. These will really help us. Any snippet reproduced will always be fully credited by showing your forum and member name.

No we don't have a clinical edge, the top six have people who will poke chances home and as such we will stay 8th-12th.

B] ** How generally is your squad clicking together this season – any useful additions in the Winter transfer window? – and any likely to start who should Reading particularly fear? (OK, I know you’re tempted but don’t just say ‘everyone’!) ...

Squad ticks together nicely, we have a couple who have a selfish edge which winds me up sometimes. Better decision making would help.

The championship is a lot stronger. I think there have been better class players in the past but the workmanship of the championship has grown incredibly.

D] **Just wondered, any special matches you remember between Wednesday and Reading, for good or bad? – funny, we’ve only met 17 times in well more than a hundred years!

None that stick out. Apart from the 5-2 on the back of us being garbage.

Did an okay job at west brom.

You'll dominate, we'll break well.

2-1 win for us.

Our fans will say we're going up, then we'll draw the next game and our fans will say were poo poo and everyone should be sacked.

I think I spotted last ngiht that we're as far off 6th as we are off 21st... we'll finish midtable, and I'm happy with that. I can't remember ever watching us have a boring season

Defence - good
Attack - ...not so good.
We've added several small chidlren. But one of them scored a pretty backheel once, so FEAR LEWIS BAKER

It's very open at the top. I think there'll be a top 6 or 7 pull away from the rest. Starting to be a bit of separation for the bottom three too. Not paid much attention to Reading, generally inoffensive side playing mediocre football, not the biggest storyline;

There was that time (November 2013?) we beat you after not having won previously for roughly eighteen thousand games

Thai owners must enjoy blue and white teams who can't score goals.
Clarke was alright at WBA, hope he does well

Clearly 0-0

As always, friendly greetings from daib0.  Onto our game together this coming Saturday – and I wondered if I could have a few views ONCE AGAIN (!) from yourselves to inform the members on Reading’s “Royals Rendezvous†. Guaranteed absolutely no ‘wind ups’ on our forum.

Nah, its been a really good season for us this year (despite someof the winging on here and we've actually had several GRAY OUT threads believe it or not) A top half finish would be an excellent achievement with the budget Stuart Gray has worked with. Its been nice looking up the table all year which I think is the first time we have done that since we came down from the Prem.

Couple of loans, Baker and Keane both are inexperienced at this level and time will tell.

I think its difficult to judge there have been a few surprise packages with Bournemouth, Boro and Brentford. Fulham, WIgan and Brighton have surprised me how poor they have been. I am quite surprised at Reading as you are a team who is generally strong in this division. 

The 3-2 win at Hillsborough when we were 2 down at half time. Amazing game. (think I said this to you last year!)

I like Steve Clarke, was surprised when he got the bullet at West Brom. I do rate him and I think a few of us wanted him here at one point.

draw, because we always draw.

Our main Match Presentation/Thread - pre-match chat, live comments and final whistle - is here: …  http://royalsrendezvous.co.uk/topic/10262655/1   … fullest respect as always shown to opposition fans and a mountain of information on your club …any small inaccuracies, do feel welcome to point out so that future productions are even better!

daib0, and the team on “RR†

Not a chance unless we can get someone in who knows where the onion bag is 

B] ** How generally is your squad clicking together this season – any useful additions in the Winter transfer window? – and any likely to start who should Reading particularly fear? (OK, I know you’re tempted but don’t just say ‘everyone’!) ...

Tom Lees is the only useful addition and our defence is on the most part quite solid but with no goalscorer we've had seven 0-0 results and another seven with only one goal either way this season so goals are at a premium and life is dull

The Championship is very weak this season and it's all a much of a muchness.  Reading for me had always been a lower league club until the influx of money and a new stadium and now crowds are dropping away and I expect Reading to follow suit (sorry). 

D] **Just wondered, any special matches you remember between Wednesday and Reading, for good or bad? – funny, we’ve only met 17 times in well more than a hundred years!

Several high scoring games in recent years (no chance on Saturday of this)

Sounds like us

0-0 written all over it and so will be well worth spending all day on a coach to see this matchup

No chance we'll claw it back, we don't have the fire power to do so. We'll finish the season where we are (whether or not I'm happy with that is another debate I'm not willing to start in this thread or the name calling will start )

Defensively sound we just can't score to save our lives. Who needs to score though? Bore draws are the way forward  :sleep:

I honestly don't know how well Reading are doing. I don't tend to look out for other results (unless you're on my acca) and then I don't remember anyway  :biggrin: I think Bournemouth are obviously the big surprise this season, whether they can keep it up, only time will tell

5-2  ;-)

Thought he was unfortunate to lose his job at West Brom and I'm sure he'll turn out to be a good manager for Reading

From the wording of the last question you're exactly like Wednesday (not leaking many but not scoring) so it'll either be 0-0 or 6-6   :stuwinky:

In all honesty, no. Stuart Gray has us on an upward curve, no doubt, but to expect it to move that fast is a bit much. We're held back by our toothless attack and indifferent home form.

It's clicked as well it can do, but we can only go so far as beyond the defence our ability is very limited. Additions wise we brought in Lewis Baker from Chelsea, who looks a very exciting prospect but that excitement was dented by an indifferent performance against Birmingham last night. Will Keane was brought in from Man U but I haven't seen anything to suggest he's a world beater. They may well both improve on a pitch that doesnt resemble a swamp and having been given a few more days to bed in.

It's tight this year but I'm not as convinced by the quality as I have been in years past. The only sides that have really blown me away with their quality this year are Watford and Bournemouth. None of the rest have looked particularly special in all honesty. Reading are better than their league position suggests but off-the-field issues coupled with the fact that Adkins seemed to have run out of ideas means that Clarke has work to do to get You back where You should be.

The 5-2 win was special but for all the wrong reasons - I had to go and visit family and was told they could only do the two weekends during half-term. Rather than seeing our first win of the season (and an emphatic one at that) I chose to go and watch an absolutely dire 1-1 draw away at Barnsley. I had to watch final score torn between joy at winning and the regret of not being able to be there, whilst surrounded by extended relatives, most of whom I don't even like.

I was very impressed with him at West Brom and thought the decision to sack him was laughable (like just about all the decisions they've made up until very recently). He'll do well as long as your patient. And dont try and tell us about goal-shy strikers lol

I know it sounds like I've been moaning most of the way through this but we're generally in a good position nowadays. Our away form is excellent (it's the main reason for where we are in the table) and we've won something like 3 in a row against you haven't we? 1-0 Wednesday

Our main Match Presentation/Thread - pre-match chat, live comments and final whistle - is here: … http://royalsrendezvous.co.uk/topic/10262655/1 … fullest respect as always shown to opposition fans and a mountain of information on your club …any small inaccuracies, do feel welcome to point out so that future productions are even better!

daib0, and the team on “RRâ€

If I've got it right from your words, we've got a dozen on the team. But I've got things pretty organized, I tend to do the sort of 'embassador' stuff for our forum and the match presentations ... 

Yeah, you might not have got that one right mate

I think my learned friend was enquiring about the possibilities of sexual gratification

Btw, have you still got that useless Russian lump up front?

Wanna swap with our lump?

Realistically, no. However we've failed to get decent points when we really should have this season. We could be there or there abouts at the end of the season, but in reality we don't have what it takes to get promoted just yet.

Our squad is great, with a real hardworking team ethic. We have some honest players who we need some more consistency from.

Same as it ever is. Anyone can beat anyone.

Last season's win was a pleasant surprise. Wasn't expecting anything that day, particularly with our record at your place.

Always the bridesmaid.

If we take the lead in the first half we may just go on to batter you. If it's 0-0 after 60/70 minutes then it just might stay that way.

With the current crop of players, no. But with the takeover now confirmed a lot can happen between now and deadline day (plus the loan window). I wouldn't completely rule us out, call it an outside bet.....but it's a massive ask & would take an almighty wee wee tail up from a few teams.

We've got a cracking defence so you'll not batter us (I've jinxed us now I know). Going forward we CAN struggle but if we find a weak spot in your defence we have the pace & strength up top to capitalise. We're hard working & our lads will continuously chase you down. Lewis Baker on loan from Chelsea is a talent in midfield, though still getting used to the physicality & pace of the championship which he hasn't been used to playing U21 games for Chelsea. Will Keane on loan from Man Utd also looked quite lively on his debut considering his previous injury issues. Other than that opposition managers always single out Nuhiu for individual praise & tend to get defenders to double up on him. He'll either be unmarkable or a complete donkey.

I love this league because anyone really can beat anyone. Reading's season isn't surprising me one bit, neither is Fulham's or any other 'big side' in the mid to lower half of the table. 

You WERE a bogey side for us for many years & then last season came out of nowhere. I was very very close to not going to the home fixture due to being completely sick of watching Dave Jones' miserable face on the sidelines. However I went & saw our best performance of the season. It could have been 10.

Reminds me of Stuart Gray a lot in the fact that he's quite quiet & understated, yet the majority of players who have played under him all sing his praises as a coach...even when they fall out of favour. His connections within the game & general coaching nous should see you right eventually.

2-1 to Wednesday with Keane & Maghoma scoring for us. We do well on our travels.