The Pitch Dimensions.

This may have been discussed on here before if it has please delete.

I attended a wedding reception at the ground yesterday which included a tour.

The Pitch width has been shortened by about 3 to 4 foot either side.

Wonder what that says about our tactics and player recruitment will be.

Megson had the pitch shortened for in ya face football,but that is certainly isn't SG tactics. So anybody's guess. UTO

wrong, megson out it back to the dimensions that hillsborough always was

Anything will be preferable to Irvine's master plan to widen the Hillsborough pitch so our wingers could have more space to run in to, only to sign Sedgwick and Teale, who proceeded to be outpaced by every visiting fullback as hordes of pacy opposition wingers gleefully exploited the extra space we gave them.

I know Megson then narrowed the pitch when he took over, but I have no idea how it's changed since. Anybody know how Hillsborough compares to other pitches at Championship level? Might losing 3 feet or so bring us in line with others?

wrong, megson out it back to the dimensions that hillsborough always was

That's what he said, but that's not what happened. It might have been his intentions to put the pitch back as it was before Irvine widened it, but it was actually made even narrower. There was a notable difference from my view point, and I've also been down to the side of the pitch. It was wider when Laws etc were in charge and in the Premier League days. You can see that on film.

I'd love us to widen the pitch and sign two great wingers. But I can't believe it's been shortened again, if that's true. Completely unnecessary, IMHO. We should be using our pitch to our advantage. I never agreed with Megson narrowing it. He said it was due to the fact that we getting overrun in midfield. But I would have changed the midfield, rather than the pitch.

Pitch sizes are quite interesting. Because you'd assume that they'd all roughly be the same size. Yet they aren't. Scunthorpe has one of the narrowest pitches I've seen, and the widest ones are Celtic's and Tottenham's. I don't know what others think, but I'd like to see a bigger playing area, where our players can find space. I don't want to see us play in a crowded space.

Anything will be preferable to Irvine's master plan to widen the Hillsborough pitch so our wingers could have more space to run in to, only to sign Sedgwick and Teale, who proceeded to be outpaced by every visiting fullback as hordes of pacy opposition wingers gleefully exploited the extra space we gave them.

I know Megson then narrowed the pitch when he took over, but I have no idea how it's changed since. Anybody know how Hillsborough compares to other pitches at Championship level? Might losing 3 feet or so bring us in line with others?

IMHO, we have a medium sized pitch. I wouldn't say it was one of the biggest in the Championship. But if it's true that 3ft from either side had been taken off, it must be ridiculously small. I sit on the Kop, and many times after the games, I've gone down to the front, and exited through the corner, below where Tango sits. There is a huge space from where the line is, to where the advertising boards are. The gap never used to be that big. This might not be important to many people, but It bothers me a lot. Again, I want us to play open, attacking football, and a really tight pitch can prevent that from happening.

This may have been discussed on here before if it has please delete.

I attended a wedding reception at the ground yesterday which included a tour.

The Pitch width has been shortened by about 3 to 4 foot either side.

Wonder what that says about our tactics and player recruitment will be.

Didn't you manage to get a photo

UTO

Glad if that's true. Even if our pitch is shortened it's still a very wide pitch tbh. So there won't be any issue with the wingers not having the space. Megson was right to have the pitch narrowed, it was FAR too wide when Irvine was here, we got ripped a new one every home game with Teale and Sedgwick either side lol

How do you know? I've seen it and the pitch isn't marked out yet and unlikely to be until a few days before the Newcastle game.

Must admit I was wondering why we would be marking the pitch out at the beginning of July.

Are you saying, it's been shortened, AND, made narrower, because somebody reckons it's six or eight feet narrower than last season (although how they'd know that is beyond me unless they know what the dimensions were last season, and are going to be next season), and then there is also talk in the same thread of it being shortened.

Surely, as somebody also said, the pitch wont have been marked out yet anyway.