Sign Loovens and Onyewu now

Guest blacktreacle

Guest blacktreacle

Just wondered if anyone agrees we need to offer Loovens and Onyewu contracts now or risk loosing two top defenders in summer. Both have great experience and I've been impressed with them. If we don't keep them there will be a lot of other clubs sniffing around I reckon. Potential for a Loovens/Onyewu partnership at the back that I think would be one of the best in championship next season.

Guest blacktreacle

Yes been really impressed with Sam Hutchinson so far, although he's down as a defender and we've been playing him in midfield. He reads the game well, can pass and he gets stuck in which is good to see. He's 24 and only played 20 games his whole career, so I'm sure he'd be desperate to get some first team games under his belt and he doesn't stand a chance at chelski. I'd love us to go out and sign him in the summer.

To be honest there's a few players in the squad we need to make it a priority to re-sign. That should be a priority even more than bringing new players in should be. It'd be nice to get that sorted before the seasons end too so that we aren't scratching our heads wondering where the spine of our team is going as soon as the final whistle blows.

Especially with Onyewu. If he goes to the World Cup and has a decent game or two for the US then we've no chance.

Guest wilyfox

Regardless of which of Loovens or Onyewu we sign it has got to be Loovens and Llera tonight, our Spanish mad dog has a few good fights left in him.

I've no doubt it will be. If Onyewu went off with a tight Achilles, I'd be surprised to see him involved tonight.

I'd sign Loovens up now. Onyewu needs a few more games to prove himself and to allow us to judge his injuries etc.

either way, we just can't leave it till late on again... I've no idea what the tactics are with that, whether it's a paperwork thing to avoid wage increases for as long as possible, but it just comes across as a little disrespectful to the players.

Guest blacktreacle

For me Loovens is one of the best defenders we've had in a while.

Such a calming influence. Quality, cultured defender.

Couldn't agree more

Edited by blacktreacle

For me Loovens is one of the best defenders we've had in a while.

Such a calming influence. Quality, cultured defender.

Agreed

His natural "Dutchness" means he can almost get a bit too relaxed at times but he's been brilliant since he came in, goes to show that just because somebody is a free agent, doesn't mean they've nothing to offer