Wasting The Budget

Guest Sheff Owl

Here it is.

The 1st team are for now, the developement squad is for the long term.

We can go for the gamble of short term gain, 2 - 3 seasons, which we have done for the last 75 years, or we can go with the plan of developing  a long term strategy that gives the club a  future.

The choice is yours!.

What the OP says about Jones, could have been said about Megson, just with different names in place.

Strange that innit.

I wouldn't say so, the only 'bad' long term signing Megson made was probably the lad from Bury but we got back what we paid for him in the end. Oh and Bennett. Other than that I'm struggling.

Jones has signed some proper poo

You would have thought we would have found enough from that amount of players to have a competitive first 11.

There I must agree.

I think Jones has  other things on his mind that have a higher priority in his life style than this club. Like his future pension or love life.

Edited by adelphi1867

Here it is.

The 1st team are for now, the developement squad is for the long term.

We can go for the gamble of short term gain, 2 - 3 seasons, which we have done for the last 75 years, or we can go with the plan of developing a long term strategy that gives the club a future.

The choice is yours!.

It is possible to build a first team and develop a long term strategy at the same time, you just need the right manager/coaches.

Guest pembo55

A lot of this post is sense but its other factors we need to look at. The mentality of this squad seems lacklustre and defensive this is the main problem for me. Players coming out saying the home crowd effects them these players shouldn't be saying this your pros in the second division in English football you should be made of tougher stuff than that.

Also look at some players always out of position mattock last year right back when he's a left back, at qpr this season before he was injured he looks like the prospect we expected playing in his natural position.

We play our winger Antonio up front and our sticker maguire on the wing stuff like this is nonsense that bugs me.

These are problems that can easily be changed and make a massive difference to the way we play.

Guest Sheff Owl

The thing is we signed players when we didn't need too, take Zayatte for instance was that really as important as bringing in a CM or a Striker?

Dave Jones now talks about needing a goalkeeper as i have said, is that even important? 

If you want to move Taylor on by all means offer a new deal to Llera and if your after bringing in a CB then look at a younger up and coming defender from the lower leagues maybe andno doubt he will be on much less than Zayatte - just an example.

It's just crazy to think we knew our problems since last season and none of them have been solved. Pure madness.

Guest totemowl

We will see how much quality comes out of the development, you are flipping deluded to think

The development squad is more important over the first team.

Your idiocy is mounting. But perhaps you'd like to point out - if its true - where I said the development squad is more important than the first team.

He's baffled me as manager.

Made some cockups in the transfer market but who hasn't.

But I don't get why he is so fantastic.Some people jump on you like he's their dad if you say owt bad about him.

He's ok don't get me wrong but I don't see any fantastic tactics,personality or great eye for a player.His reputation far exceeds what he has achieved.

He just seems to turn up( 2 days a week some say :P) and the players run about ,sometimes with heads down and no gameplan.

Did well to get us up, did well to keep us up last season and not sure what to expect this year.

Edited by Eightace

FFP doesn't count towards the Dev squad that's why we are preloading it and hoping to get many out on loan to sort the wheat from the chaff

It's clear by now that they are waiting to see what happens with the PL squad short list before going for some out of favour PL players

He's baffled me as manager.

Made some cockups in the transfer market but who hasn't.

But I don't get why he is so fantastic.Some people jump on you like he's their dad if you say owt bad about him.

I don't think it's necessarily a case of unwavering support for him, more a protest against the depth of feeling some people seem to have for him as if he is incapable of anything other than idiocy and evil. Last season he was subjected to personal abuse, conspiracy theories, hatred and downright lies on here. It's not unusual for people to find that objectionable. 

Even as I was defending him during our lousy spell last season, I was still open to the mistakes he made. The one that frustrates me the most is the overly defensive outlook which possibly contributed to more disappointment this weekend. But when you look at the rate we were leaking goals early last term and how we are set up to play on the break, you can sort of see the logic behind it. 

Great OP

I do think the budget allocation to transfers this season has been vastly underestimated by the board, though I'm starting to get pissed of with the Milan bashing. Millions has been spent improving all areas of the club that were left in a bloody mess by the previous cowboys. For people to come out and say 'oh he only wants to sell club he couldn't care less' well the only way he will sell it for any profit is by doing what he is doing, making sure the academy is improved, we have a development system, scouting system, improved commercial side, corporate ect.

For me DJ set the tone at the end of last season for offering contracts to the at best lower table squad players that are Llera, Coke and Prutton where wages would've been better off being freed up for new blood.

We've seen some proper rubbish in and out of S6 over the last 5 years. We could moan about quite a few under plenty (unfortunately) of different managers.

I think we are only a decent CM and striker away from being a decent side for this division (if not a little light weight in numbers for the bench) and the next 2-3 weeks of the transfer window/loan period will show us where we are at.

The reason we re-signed players as if we didn't the squad would be non-existent.

Guest Sheff Owl

I'm not against Milan or Dave Jones, i'm not shouting out for Dave Jones to be sacked and certainly not shouting for Megson to come back but there i guess there has to be questions asked, i understand Dave Jones likes to keep things to himself and isn't very open as regards transfer dealings and that's fair enough but some decisions are baffling to say the least.

I mean people can raise numerous points and some great points have been raised in the thread but things like wanting a new goalkeeper and maybe looking at loaning out Llera - i don't get it.

Now Dave Jones can only work with what he is given and fair enough and that's even more reason to make sure you cover the most important things first which we haven't. 

People say we might be only 2 players away from a decent team and that's a valid point and we all know what them positions are and i guess most people thought from the end of the season we will sort that out through the summer and 1 week away from the window closing we still haven't addressed it.

Guest Sheff Owl

Yeovil had a lower budget than us but looked much better in every department.

They were quicker, eager, faster and passed the ball well.

The budget excuse is wearing thin now.