The fans must change.

The fans can change but for that to happen everyone needs to do something about it. Rob made a topic preseason about having a singing section at hillsborough but it got shot down for using the term 'Ultras'. It doesn't matter what they're called; Ultras, singing section, doesn't even need a name but he posted a picture of the area we'd stand at games at Hillsbro'. So far this season, even if the atmosphere has been awful, we've had a good laugh. I actually came out the game at Watford laughing cos of the chanting and generally having a good time.

We've tried to encourage people to stand up there and join in and generally people who have done it for the odd game have really enjoyed it but then it gets shot down on here for no reason. The people who stand up there sing near enough all game and are trying to improve the atmosphere but it can't have that much of an impact if no one else wants to come up there or join in.

Don't worry mate we all suspected anyway. Maybe you should have waited for the Brighton game though.

I know you're not a fan of the 'ultras' Fedor but do you think the atmosphere at Hillsborough is generally good? Do you think it could be better and how?

I'm genuinely interested because a lot of people shot down what Rob was trying to achieve but no one has tried improving it a different way.

I think the atmosphere is hit and miss. The away games are generally very good cos everyone is usually full of ale and well up for it.The home games are sometimes dependant on the team. It was good on Saturday but then so were the team.Don't think anyone will change it tbh.

just fill the kop corners in and it wud improve thdm atmos a 1000%

True , we've always needed to enclose the ground fully and keep the sound in.

OUR "ultras"..................haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa  bless em, at least they try.... :biggrin:

Nothing wrong with the Ultras. They upset no one. If they want to sing or stand, fair play. A bit like Tango IMO.

It's the Band that ought to be fvcked off - not the Ultras.

The fans can change but for that to happen everyone needs to do something about it. Rob made a topic preseason about having a singing section at hillsborough but it got shot down for using the term 'Ultras'. It doesn't matter what they're called; Ultras, singing section, doesn't even need a name but he posted a picture of the area we'd stand at games at Hillsbro'. So far this season, even if the atmosphere has been awful, we've had a good laugh. I actually came out the game at Watford laughing cos of the chanting and generally having a good time.

We've tried to encourage people to stand up there and join in and generally people who have done it for the odd game have really enjoyed it but then it gets shot down on here for no reason. The people who stand up there sing near enough all game and are trying to improve the atmosphere but it can't have that much of an impact if no one else wants to come up there or join in.

I would love to stand, even at 72, but unfortunately it is illegal to stand at a football match in the Premier & Championship Leagues. Until the findings of the Hillsborough inquiry are overturned, there is little or no chance of it being overturned. Our beloved friends from Mercyside, who are not averse to standing themselves, would see to that.   

Closing the corners would be ideal but that's not realistic really.

I think it can be changed Fedor. Looking at European teams, I've seen them get hammered and still sing all game and that can happen at Hillsborough, it just needs a few more people sitting closer together to sing, then more will join. The hard parts getting it started, after that more people will join in for sure. That's how I see it anyway. That's all what was hoped for.

Closing the corners would be ideal but that's not realistic really.

I think it can be changed Fedor. Looking at European teams, I've seen them get hammered and still sing all game and that can happen at Hillsborough, it just needs a few more people sitting closer together to sing, then more will join. The hard parts getting it started, after that more people will join in for sure. That's how I see it anyway. That's all what was hoped for.

This is what it'll take, a good few hundred to get some organised chanting going.

Exactly. I assume Palace haven't always had a section dedicated to chanting. They were by far the best home fans for a non derby game. So it can be done, it just needs everyone on board with the idea. As daft as it sounds, a good number of people singing on the Kop on a tuesday night might just inspire the players to give that extra 5% and at the very least it gives the fans something to enjoy.

Exactly. I assume Palace haven't always had a section dedicated to chanting. They were by far the best home fans for a non derby game. So it can be done, it just needs everyone on board with the idea. As daft as it sounds, a good number of people singing on the Kop on a tuesday night might just inspire the players to give that extra 5% and at the very least it gives the fans something to enjoy.

It's no coincidence that recent home games between Brighton and Charlton have ended in victories. The players and fans feed off each other, anything to improve the atmosphere is welcome in my books.

Like I said earlier though, English football is different for one reason, one the whole when a team goes behind then their fans are quiet and Hillsborough is generally (apart from derby games mainly) one of the grounds where away fans can dominate in volume if things on the pitch aren't going to plan. Whilst in Europe you won't see as much of this, with on the whole fans continually singing throughout the time when the opposition are celebrating and especially in the minutes after to lift their team again. It's like they don't care about goals conceded, now this would be hard because I know how it feels. Every goal conceded is like being kicked in the stomach.

Guest Big Guns

If you get rid of the Band - i'll vote for you as Wednesdayite Chairman.

Ok but I will tell you now I won't be putting the price of pie n peas down infact its going up ...

Guest Big Guns

Do you already work for Lindley Catering then? If not it seems you'd get on well with them.

Them Wednesdayite members are reight gullible you can make some reight coin out of them trust me they pay 12 pound for pie n peas and to watch us,on telly when its free

I will make a mint...

I would love to stand, even at 72, but unfortunately it is illegal to stand at a football match in the Premier & Championship Leagues. Until the findings of the Hillsborough inquiry are overturned, there is little or no chance of it being overturned. Our beloved friends from Mercyside, who are not averse to standing themselves, would see to that.   

We stand at the back of the Kop, we've had no problems up there with the stewards either, they've been very tolerable. Come up for a few games (just to the right of the band) and see what you think. 

Maybe you should drop the 'Ultras' tag and open up proper communication with the club about a singing section?

I honestly think that's the best way to go Sonny as people start comparing European style fanaticals with what we were hoping to do at Hillsborough. It's nothing ultra like at all to be honest, we just wanted to sing more and hope to encourage others to do the same. I think they did discuss something with the club about a safe standing area or having a dedicated section for flags and stuff but it fell on deaf ears.  

Unfortunately I think we need the band, the atmosphere would be poor without them. Although I wish we didnt need them.

The only alternative would be to have a constant singing section of the crowd on the kop, more organised singing like, dare I say it, Ultras!?

Or the band must adjust instead of playing bloody Wallace and Gromit, they must play a variety of Wednesday songs. Cut down on the brass and predominantly use drums. Which will provide a good deep backing to our songs and make it more intimidating for opponents.

The band and the fans have to adjust or it'll stay the same. I feel really strongly about having a dedicated singing section similar but bigger to that on the lepp side of the north. Itd take a few hundred pioneers to do it but it would definitely catch on, and within a few seasons hundreds and more would be eager to move their seats to that section.

But its so much easier said than done. Compared to European football English crowds will always be less vocal. Its generally the truth.

(Im not talking about our away following which as we all know is loud as flip at times and very impressive).

I agree, also obesity in England's getting out of control.