The fans must change.

Fair enough. They can call themselves what they like for me but I think the word 'Ultras' has connotations that might not be understood by the club. No point approaching them about a safe standing area either but a few clubs have singing sections so I don't see why that is an unreasonable request. It won't happen by just talking about on here though, obviously. Someone needs to get sell it to the club. Maybe start by finding out which other clubs have a singing section and what the details are with them.

Exactly. I assume Palace haven't always had a section dedicated to chanting. They were by far the best home fans for a non derby game. So it can be done, it just needs everyone on board with the idea. As daft as it sounds, a good number of people singing on the Kop on a tuesday night might just inspire the players to give that extra 5% and at the very least it gives the fans something to enjoy.

But a singing section just won't work with a band as well cos they will join on every song and balls it up. It happened alot on Saturday. Even something ss simple as Dave Jones's barmy army is too much for them. Wrong key wrong speed. It always results in the singers stopping singing.

Fair enough. They can call themselves what they like for me but I think the word 'Ultras' has connotations that might not be understood by the club. No point approaching them about a safe standing area either but a few clubs have singing sections so I don't see why that is an unreasonable request. It won't happen by just talking about on here though, obviously. Someone needs to get sell it to the club. Maybe start by finding out which other clubs have a singing section and what the details are with them.

Yep, I think the 'Ultras' tag needs to be dropped as it gives misleading impressions about what they were trying to achieve. The standing area is a no go I'd assume but there does need to be dialogue between the fans and the club about how to improve the atmosphere. What do you do first though, singing section or get more fans on board? There's probably only 20 odd who stand up there at the moment, the idea of a singing section with just 20 fans behind it would get ridiculed on here and probably dismissed by the club. 

It would be good if more people would just give it a try for a game and stand at the back in that section just to experience it. It's a hard thing to promote.

But a singing section just won't work with a band as well cos they will join on every song and balls it up. It happened alot on Saturday. Even something ss simple as Dave Jones's barmy army is too much for them. Wrong key wrong speed. It always results in the singers stopping singing.

The band were awful on Saturday. Like what's been mentioned, they need to encourage singing rather than drowning it out. 

I honestly think that's the best way to go Sonny as people start comparing European style fanaticals with what we were hoping to do at Hillsborough. It's nothing ultra like at all to be honest, we just wanted to sing more and hope to encourage others to do the same. I think they did discuss something with the club about a safe standing area or having a dedicated section for flags and stuff but it fell on deaf ears.  

Yes the term ultras invites ridicule - weren't we the original 'barmy army'? - if so why not keep hold of that for old time's sake.

I think it's great what you lot are trying to do up there - can't be faulted for paying to get in like everyone else but trying to make that extra effort.

Possibly just needs more organisation and happy with enchanters idea of just drums no trumpets.

Also think we need new songs. I can't be arrsed with continual united songs - we blame them for being obsessive. 

Their is a clear thing happening then.

The band are drowning us out yet we need them for coordination. Therefore get rid of the brass! Keep the drums, an instrument which will only add to fans singing not drown it out. I know this is a big part of the band but all we need are a few drums.

Their is a clear thing happening then.

The band are drowning us out yet we need them for coordination. Therefore get rid of the brass! Keep the drums, an instrument which will only add to fans singing not drown it out. I know this is a big part of the band but all we need are a few drums.

Not sure we even need drums. If we cant coordinate a song then there's something wrong we manage away from home. Maybe a compromise though. All it needs is the ultras, the lads towards the other side of the kop and the lads on the uncovered to sit /stand together.

Yes the term ultras invites ridicule - weren't we the original 'barmy army'? - if so why not keep hold of that for old time's sake.

I think it's great what you lot are trying to do up there - can't be faulted for paying to get in like everyone else but trying to make that extra effort.

Possibly just needs more organisation and happy with enchanters idea of just drums no trumpets.

Also think we need new songs. I can't be arrsed with continual united songs - we blame them for being obsessive. 

Barmy Army would do nicely for me, sounds much better. 

It's getting the interest that's the hard part, plenty of people say they like what they're trying to do but no one joins in. We sing every game, plenty of people enjoy John's rendition of 'Can't take my eyes', we always have a laugh win, lose or draw. I enjoy every game up there.

We're always welcome to ideas pal.

It's no coincidence that recent home games between Brighton and Charlton have ended in victories. The players and fans feed off each other, anything to improve the atmosphere is welcome in my books.

Like I said earlier though, English football is different for one reason, one the whole when a team goes behind then their fans are quiet and Hillsborough is generally (apart from derby games mainly) one of the grounds where away fans can dominate in volume if things on the pitch aren't going to plan. Whilst in Europe you won't see as much of this, with on the whole fans continually singing throughout the time when the opposition are celebrating and especially in the minutes after to lift their team again. It's like they don't care about goals conceded, now this would be hard because I know how it feels. Every goal conceded is like being kicked in the stomach.

wasnt like that when it was standing and likr minded fans/freinds could stand side by side singing as much as they wanted.

All seater stadia can be souless places, go to any large gig, all the fun, dancing, chanting is in the standing areas whereas the seats are almost lifeless by comparison.

got to agree with every word mate

Need more Sheffield Wednesday anthems - not just player songs. get a few creative minds on the case without resorting to reminding ourselves of our lowly neighbours at every chance.

Maybe a pinned thread on here or on another part of forum. One of 'Ultras/Barmy Army' to keep tabs on and share the better quality ones for trying out at games. 

We could start by singing Bonnie Tylers 'its a heartache'. Would sound good.

I don't know why we only sing 'Hi Ho Sheffield Wednesday' when promted with music. In my opinion that could be our anthem. Would sound great the full song chanted at away ground accross the country.