As bad as a lot are making out?

Just an observation, but Charlton, the team who utterly pissed the league last year, aren't setting the world on fire in the Championship either. Perhaps it's a more a case of League 1 players struggling to play to the standards of a higher league rather than the manager with more than 10 seasons experience in this league.

Give DJ some time and another transfer window, look at where Palace were last season and where they are now before we start changing managers

You might have a point if he hadnt signed 15+ players in the summer!

more than half of those appear to not be good enough and the answer is to give him another window?

I can't understand why we signed all those players but there are one or two that are good.

Gardener.

Corry.

McCabe.

Antonio.

Kirkland.

The rest are young aswell. Still time for them to prove themselves. But yeah a lot of players to not ve playing.

I can't understand why we signed all those players but there are one or two that are good.

Gardener.

Corry.

McCabe.

Antonio.

Kirkland.

The rest are young aswell. Still time for them to prove themselves. But yeah a lot of players to not ve playing.

I've always assumed we were signing players who with some work and time (that some people aren't prepared to give ) could be sold on for a profit to give us a transfer kitty - otherwise how else do we fund players of the quality we ultimately want.

If you look at each game in isolation you would think as an outsider that we had plent going for us but that one or two things didn't go for us or we made a mistake.

On the inside as supporters though we see it happening every week, close but no cigar so to speak and it's taking its toll on everyone, players, fans, manager etc.

I had a great deal of respect for the way DJ had us playing for the last 1/3 of last season and the first 6 games of this.

I liked the look of the players he brought in over the summer BUT what I can't understand, especially of a manager of his experience, why we seem to have used a large chunk of money to sign players we don't play. When did these players become not good enough..? Didn't we have them closely watched before they signed..?

To me, as a manager, we wasted the summer window and are now in the loan market while contracted players warm the south stand seats. If we wanted bench warmers we could have kept 3rd division players on lower wages and used the remainder to sign competent championship players to help us compete.

Whilst I agree with the post above, it seems the players Jones brought in were ones who it was considered would turn a profit in years to come without being the finished article.

I don't know if he realised how unready they actually were though.

Well thats kinda his job, isn't .it?

Like bluestee says, if you look at each game in isolation we don't look bad at all.

But we don't take our chances and we find it hard to be ruthless in defense.

The ability is there but the little bit of experience/ quality required to finish the job is lacking.

However, if we had been awarded all the penalties we were due we wouldn't even be talking like this. Also I still think Barkley is too young and inexperienced to be playing midfield in this league.

Like bluestee says, if you look at each game in isolation we don't look bad at all.

But we don't take our chances and we find it hard to be ruthless in defense.

The ability is there but the little bit of experience/ quality required to finish the job is lacking.

However, if we had been awarded all the penalties we were due we wouldn't even be talking like this. Also I still think Barkley is too young and inexperienced to be playing midfield in this league.

That last bit shocks me

If it hadn't been for Barkley's goals recently we'd be rock bottom

Guest zico sterland

If DJs still here at xmas then no its not as bad as many think, but if we dont take 7 or more points from the next 7 games it may well be worse than I and many think and sadly DJ will have to go to give us a chance to stay up.The next 7 fixtures are a mixture with some very winnable games ,Think its crunch time for DJ and I hope hes bold and plays 442 as we look far more dangerous with that formation.

Whilst I agree with the post above, it seems the players Jones brought in were ones who it was considered would turn a profit in years to come without being the finished article.

I don't know if he realised how unready they actually were though.

So how well did the years of hiring past it mercenary journeyman serve us?. I'd rather ride out the storm in the hope of building something good for the future.

BTW is the OP Minton a chippy? (That's one for us baby boomers!)

So how well did the years of hiring past it mercenary journeyman serve us?. I'd rather ride out the storm in the hope of building something good for the future.

BTW is the OP Minton a chippy? (That's one for us baby boomers!)

This ^^^^^

Guest Johnbloodaxe

I still think some of the young uns will come good.

Rodri and Peknic for example.

We should be doing better with the signings we have..

I can remember that most of us were wee wee tail a hoop highly delighted and ejaculating all over your screens (well some of you were anyway) when we made these signings...

Funny short memories...

A mate of mine who is a smoggy fan said the only player he was impressed with at the Boro game was Antonio. The rest were gash in his view. That was a point of view from an opposition fan,

I hope we are close to making it click, but we should get on the front foot at least at home like we were at the start of the season...

Not go into every game fearing a defeat...

That will instill confidence and delight in the players. Especially if we win a couple. :ghoulguy:

I had a great deal of respect for the way DJ had us playing for the last 1/3 of last season and the first 6 games of this.

I liked the look of the players he brought in over the summer BUT what I can't understand, especially of a manager of his experience, why we seem to have used a large chunk of money to sign players we don't play. When did these players become not good enough..? Didn't we have them closely watched before they signed..?

To me, as a manager, we wasted the summer window and are now in the loan market while contracted players warm the south stand seats. If we wanted bench warmers we could have kept 3rd division players on lower wages and used the remainder to sign competent championship players to help us compete.

Agree with this. Does DJ still not think Maguire and Mayor are ready? 500k spent on them, which is a lot for a club like ours.

They better develop and become worth something or it will be an awful waste of money.

I think its a mistake DJ was buying development players of any kind over the summer. We needed to spend on quality that could contribute right away in this league, and this could prove to be his downfall.