Megson's legacy

Megson signed Ben Marshall, Danny Batth, Rob Jones, Chris Lines, Miguel Llera all players who were more than capable at the level they played at. He also brought in Antonio so who knows what Megson would have done if he had stayed? I bet if he goes into the Championship again he will make better signings than what Jones has. I would have loved to have seen Megsons reaction to a Bothroyd performance.

That would have been hillarious to listen to.

I do kinda miss Megsons character around the place.

megsons brief was to get a side together to get us out of league 1,this he did .kivo what makes you think he wouldnt have been able to carry out the next brief of getting us to the prem .if he could do it at a medium club like west brom then he was certainly capable of doing it here .

Just think if MIlan had backed Meggo with HARD reddies, Antonio on one wing, Marshall on the other and Le Fondre up front, what about that Kivo? Who was in charge and wanted to bring those players in?

I reckon DJ wanted to sign Messi this summer, but never had the reddies.

Megson wasn't given the same backing as jones. He wanted to sign le fondre, Marshall, Antonio but wasn't allowed. Jones was allowed to sign 15+ players to compete at this level and failed.

megsons budget was 2nd / 3rd biggest in that league last year , currently in the championship we have one of the smallest budgets so not really a valid point. megson was a grafter who set us on our way but he's a limited manager who by the time he hadleft was found out big style. our current form however is alarming , and finally i may have to admit i think jones has lost the plot

megsons budget was 2nd / 3rd biggest in that league last year , currently in the championship we have one of the smallest budgets so not really a valid point. megson was a grafter who set us on our way but he's a limited manager who by the time he hadleft was found out big style. our current form however is alarming , and finally i may have to admit i think jones has lost the plot

if limited means getting west brom into the prem ,keeping bolton in the prem when they were bottom when he took over ,and taking charge of a club in 14th place and getting them to 3rd in in 9 months then yer right he his limited .i hope our next one is just as limited

There is one thing that's getting destroyed from the Megson era, and that's player & supporter relations. Megson did brilliantly to build that, we now have a manager that doesn't really believe in it (I don't think ) which is fine.

But, theres so much bad blood. It's a horrible horrible atmosphere right now.

passionless manager = passionless performances = passionless fans...

you reap what you sow...

we are reaping the results of gaining promotion with a side built on effort, and strength...

and then replacing the effort and strength with some cheap less than average signings...

our promotion was gained as cheaply as possible...

then the whole on field ethic of the team was binned, and we bring in some lightweights and try to start out footballing teams...

if milan encouraged, or was party to jones altering the team's style of play, then get your wallet out milan and get some quality fetched in, if not get your address book out, in the next 2 games jones will prove his time has come...

passionless manager = passionless performances = passionless fans...

you reap what you sow...

we are reaping the results of gaining promotion with a side built on effort, and strength...

and then replacing the effort and strength with some cheap less than average signings...

our promotion was gained as cheaply as possible...

then the whole on field ethic of the team was binned, and we bring in some lightweights and try to start out footballing teams...

if milan encouraged, or was party to jones altering the team's style of play, then get your wallet out milan and get some quality fetched in, if not get your address book out, in the next 2 games jones will prove his time has come...

lightweights is the word mate to sign young players like mayor ,lee,mcabe ,corry,barkley ,antonio(he's good though),maguire,rodri who have little or no experience of playing in this division was a big gamble .should have stuck with the majority of megsons side and spent some decent cash on 3-4 good experienced players to bolster them and keep the momentum that we had going .

Why do talent and hard work have to be mutually exclusive? I believe Semedo, Reda and quite a few others have what if takes to play in the league.

It needed a couple of additions to improve us - not wholesale changes and ripping the heart and spine out of the team.... And a panicked formation change.

Guest Deleted member

Charlton ran away with the division last year - and are also struggling

Those who say we should have kept last years squad together arent living in the real world

This division is miles away in quality from League One - it will take time to adjust and build a squad

People need to get a grip - and be patient

Guest Big Guns

Here we go with another Megson v Jones scrum as if there's some sort of inverse relationship between the two of them. Any praise for one is interpreted as a proportionate criticism of the other. I'm happy to give them both credit for where we are at the moment.

So you agree with the op megsons as much to blame as Jones for us been poo poo this season

Guest MrsGoggins

We'll never know but the side that finished the final game against Wycombe last season but have done no worse so why make so many changes?

Those who say we should have kept last years squad together arent living in the real world

This division is miles away in quality from League One - it will take time to adjust and build a squad

Huddersfield seem ok.

In May/June this year, Dave Jones was taking the plaudits for a job well done (and rightly so), but many Wednesday fans, myself included, thought that gary megson deserved an awful lot of credit for the job he did here.

I was seemingly in a minority when it came to believing that we would never have won promotion had he stayed in charge (no-one will be able to prove their argument one way or another), but I was certainly appreciative of the work he put in to making Wednesday the club it has become.

For years we had been on our arse, feeling sorry for ourselves, settling for second best, but Megson changed all that.

He instilled a belief into every single player and fan that we didn't have to fail, we didn't have to settle for failure year on year.

He brought back a great pile of pride to S6, and with our new found confidence we went from strength to strength, ultimately ending in our promotion, albeit with him having left.

During the summer expectations were high for another good season, but in hindsight, I believe Megson's policy while at the club has cost us just as much as it has earned us.

He got his team fighting, working, bullying - but to do that he needed a certain type of player.

Semedo, Rob Jones, O'Grady, Reda etc...

Not technically gifted, but with hearts of lions, and ready to give their all to the cause.

Their lack of ability meant our style of play was limited.

But in League 1, it worked. These guys were the spine of our team, they spurred us on when we were down, and kept up the momentum when we were up.

In the Championship however, it's just not good enough. The gulf in class between the two leagues has never been so high, and kick and rush football simply won't do.

You need footballers, technically gifted lads who can keep the ball all day long, who can turn on a sixpence and thread a ball through the eye of a needle.

Jones has signed a few of them - McCabe, Corry, Bothroyd, Barkley - but he's not been in the hotseat long enough to formulate his own team, and so we're still left with very few options in the way we play our football.

We simply can't play our way around teams, because the players Megson brought to the club aren't good enough to do that.

Until Jones is given the time/money to build his own team and form his own style, we'll be suffering from Megson's reign.

It's Megson's fault we are where we are.

He helped get us to the promised land of the Championship, but it came at a cost.

And that is his true legacy*

*please note, I don't believe ALL of the above to be true, but hey, it makes a difference from the usual poo about Jones ruining Megson's team/Megson would have had us winning more games/etc... right?

This demonstrates you know nothing about football.

It's total garbage.

Megson was far from perfect but this is a truely deluded assessment of why we are where we are now.

I'd have a look at Jones management style,player recruitment, motivational techniques along side the use of a system that the players can't play and will take us down if he persists with it.

Guest Bedders

In May/June this year, Dave Jones was taking the plaudits for a job well done (and rightly so), but many Wednesday fans, myself included, thought that gary megson deserved an awful lot of credit for the job he did here.

I was seemingly in a minority when it came to believing that we would never have won promotion had he stayed in charge (no-one will be able to prove their argument one way or another), but I was certainly appreciative of the work he put in to making Wednesday the club it has become.

For years we had been on our arse, feeling sorry for ourselves, settling for second best, but Megson changed all that.

He instilled a belief into every single player and fan that we didn't have to fail, we didn't have to settle for failure year on year.

He brought back a great pile of pride to S6, and with our new found confidence we went from strength to strength, ultimately ending in our promotion, albeit with him having left.

During the summer expectations were high for another good season, but in hindsight, I believe Megson's policy while at the club has cost us just as much as it has earned us.

He got his team fighting, working, bullying - but to do that he needed a certain type of player.

Semedo, Rob Jones, O'Grady, Reda etc...

Not technically gifted, but with hearts of lions, and ready to give their all to the cause.

Their lack of ability meant our style of play was limited.

But in League 1, it worked. These guys were the spine of our team, they spurred us on when we were down, and kept up the momentum when we were up.

In the Championship however, it's just not good enough. The gulf in class between the two leagues has never been so high, and kick and rush football simply won't do.

You need footballers, technically gifted lads who can keep the ball all day long, who can turn on a sixpence and thread a ball through the eye of a needle.

Jones has signed a few of them - McCabe, Corry, Bothroyd, Barkley - but he's not been in the hotseat long enough to formulate his own team, and so we're still left with very few options in the way we play our football.

We simply can't play our way around teams, because the players Megson brought to the club aren't good enough to do that.

Until Jones is given the time/money to build his own team and form his own style, we'll be suffering from Megson's reign.

It's Megson's fault we are where we are.

He helped get us to the promised land of the Championship, but it came at a cost.

And that is his true legacy*

*please note, I don't believe ALL of the above to be true, but hey, it makes a difference from the usual poo about Jones ruining Megson's team/Megson would have had us winning more games/etc... right?

Flip me you are on a right downer Lee!!!

If you believe any of that to be true Lee.....ask yourself one question......why didn't Jones disassemble the team in the last division when he took over as it was in 3rd position.... was it? I'll tell you why because he knew it was the right formula to get promoted & it worked......it just needed as few tweeks which he successfully provided.

It's DJ's assessment of what is needed in the championship that is being brought into question as we discuss.....

Edited by Bedders

People underestimate how good a manager megson is. He said at the time he was appointed here that he's never been able to play the football he's wanted to cos he's never had the resources to do so.

Don't forget he left Bolton in the prem with some really good players and I see our situation very similar to theirs where a popular new manager replaces him and then it all starts to fall apart when the new man tries to put his new team together.

One of the hardest things to create in football is a squad with belief, character, heart and passion we had this last year it was our main strength and now its gone, replaced with a team of individuals

Ppl need to move on from Megson. He did a fantastic job at steadying the ship and I've said all along, he was probably the only person that could do that job. But we had started the slide before the game against the blunts, so we needed someone else to push us over the line.

dont think anyone is saying keep the whole squad together from last season but the addition of some decent experienced men especially in mid-field and up front instead of a load of young kids would(imo) be the better option.

Guest Deleted member

We'll never know but the side that finished the final game against Wycombe last season but have done no worse so why make so many changes?

Huddersfield seem ok.

Huddersfield have more money and are bullying themselves to a higher league position. Its short termism - there is no way they will ever be prmotoed playing like that - look at Leeds when Grayson was in charge.