Megson's legacy

In May/June this year, Dave Jones was taking the plaudits for a job well done (and rightly so), but many Wednesday fans, myself included, thought that gary megson deserved an awful lot of credit for the job he did here.

I was seemingly in a minority when it came to believing that we would never have won promotion had he stayed in charge (no-one will be able to prove their argument one way or another), but I was certainly appreciative of the work he put in to making Wednesday the club it has become.

For years we had been on our arse, feeling sorry for ourselves, settling for second best, but Megson changed all that.

He instilled a belief into every single player and fan that we didn't have to fail, we didn't have to settle for failure year on year.

He brought back a great pile of pride to S6, and with our new found confidence we went from strength to strength, ultimately ending in our promotion, albeit with him having left.

During the summer expectations were high for another good season, but in hindsight, I believe Megson's policy while at the club has cost us just as much as it has earned us.

He got his team fighting, working, bullying - but to do that he needed a certain type of player.

Semedo, Rob Jones, O'Grady, Reda etc...

Not technically gifted, but with hearts of lions, and ready to give their all to the cause.

Their lack of ability meant our style of play was limited.

But in League 1, it worked. These guys were the spine of our team, they spurred us on when we were down, and kept up the momentum when we were up.

In the Championship however, it's just not good enough. The gulf in class between the two leagues has never been so high, and kick and rush football simply won't do.

You need footballers, technically gifted lads who can keep the ball all day long, who can turn on a sixpence and thread a ball through the eye of a needle.

Jones has signed a few of them - McCabe, Corry, Bothroyd, Barkley - but he's not been in the hotseat long enough to formulate his own team, and so we're still left with very few options in the way we play our football.

We simply can't play our way around teams, because the players Megson brought to the club aren't good enough to do that.

Until Jones is given the time/money to build his own team and form his own style, we'll be suffering from Megson's reign.

It's Megson's fault we are where we are.

He helped get us to the promised land of the Championship, but it came at a cost.

And that is his true legacy*

*please note, I don't believe ALL of the above to be true, but hey, it makes a difference from the usual poo about Jones ruining Megson's team/Megson would have had us winning more games/etc... right?

Edited by KivoOwl

On the other hand, if Jones had been at the helm for the whole of last season (based on his form when he did take charge), with the same players we can only assume we would have walked the league. To then suggest these same players are holding us back is a bit of a contradiction.

He got those same players playing good football. We dominated matches and at this point they didn't look limited at all.

Edited by townend_owl

In May/June this year, Dave Jones was taking the plaudits for a job well done (and rightly so), but many Wednesday fans, myself included, thought that gary megson deserved an awful lot of credit for the job he did here.

I was seemingly in a minority when it came to believing that we would never have won promotion had he stayed in charge (no-one will be able to prove their argument one way or another), but I was certainly appreciative of the work he put in to making Wednesday the club it has become.

For years we had been on our arse, feeling sorry for ourselves, settling for second best, but Megson changed all that.

He instilled a belief into every single player and fan that we didn't have to fail, we didn't have to settle for failure year on year.

He brought back a great pile of pride to S6, and with our new found confidence we went from strength to strength, ultimately ending in our promotion, albeit with him having left.

During the summer expectations were high for another good season, but in hindsight, I believe Megson's policy while at the club has cost us just as much as it has earned us.

He got his team fighting, working, bullying - but to do that he needed a certain type of player.

Semedo, Rob Jones, O'Grady, Reda etc...

Not technically gifted, but with hearts of lions, and ready to give their all to the cause.

Their lack of ability meant our style of play was limited.

But in League 1, it worked. These guys were the spine of our team, they spurred us on when we were down, and kept up the momentum when we were up.

In the Championship however, it's just not good enough. The gulf in class between the two leagues has never been so high, and kick and rush football simply won't do.

You need footballers, technically gifted lads who can keep the ball all day long, who can turn on a sixpence and thread a ball through the eye of a needle.

Jones has signed a few of them - McCabe, Corry, Bothroyd, Barkley - but he's not been in the hotseat long enough to formulate his own team, and so we're still left with very few options in the way we play our football.

We simply can't play our way around teams, because the players Megson brought to the club aren't good enough to do that.

Until Jones is given the time/money to build his own team and form his own style, we'll be suffering from Megson's reign.

It's Megson's fault we are where we are.

He helped get us to the promised land of the Championship, but it came at a cost.

And that is his true legacy*

*please note, I don't believe ALL of the above to be true, but hey, it makes a difference from the usual poo about Jones ruining Megson's team/Megson would have had us winning more games/etc... right?Makes a difference from the usuall poo ?

thats the biggest pile of poo i've read for a while on here

Jones Out !!!!!

There is one thing that's getting destroyed from the Megson era, and that's player & supporter relations. Megson did brilliantly to build that, we now have a manager that doesn't really believe in it (I don't think ) which is fine.

But, theres so much bad blood. It's a horrible horrible atmosphere right now.

Guest Old Salt

Megson wasn't given the same backing as jones. He wanted to sign le fondre, Marshall, Antonio but wasn't allowed. Jones was allowed to sign 15+ players to compete at this level and failed.

Guest totemowl

On the other hand, if Jones had been at the helm for the whole of last season (based on his form when he did take charge), with the same players we can only assume we would have walked the league. To then suggest these same players are holding us back is a bit of a contradiction.

He got those same players playing good football. We dominated matches and at this point they didn't look limited at all.

Why's it a contradiction? Playing good football and dominating matches in League 1 does not mean they are good enough for the Championship. I think some of them are, but not all of them. The legacy that we brought forward from League 1 is holding us back and is likely to do so until we add more quality and experience.

Edited by totemowl

Megson signed Ben Marshall, Danny Batth, Rob Jones, Chris Lines, Miguel Llera all players who were more than capable at the level they played at. He also brought in Antonio so who knows what Megson would have done if he had stayed? I bet if he goes into the Championship again he will make better signings than what Jones has. I would have loved to have seen Megsons reaction to a Bothroyd performance.

Why's it a contradiction? Playing good football and dominating matches in League 1 does not mean they are good enough for the Championship. I think some of them are, but not all of them. The legacy that we brought forward from League 1 is holding us back and is likely to do so until we add more quality and experience.

What i'm saying is, blaming Megson for the players he brought in when Jones inherited those players and got them playing good football and on title winning form, is a bit of a contradiction.

re. the OP:

That all works in theory but the problem is it's the more technically gifted players who have been letting the side down. Lets not forget - the sequence of poor results also included Rodri and Pecnik at first, though they seem miles away from starting now. There were opportunities today for Bothroyd to show his class but two decent shooting oppotunities went wide/ high and wide. Testing the keeper and forcing a corner at least would have built some momentum.

Barkley's a great player but he's essentially on holiday with us; which is great in some ways but not in others. McCabe and Corry look talented but have gone missing in games as much as all our players have.

All managers make better and worse decisions. Hindsight is always 20:20. On the basis of tonight, whoever signed Buxton has been our single best manager of recent times. It's just not that straight forward though.

If Megson gave the team spirit that doesn't have to be anything to do with players, tactics, formations etc. It can simply be the way he goes about his job, the things he says, the way he tries to motivate the players. I don't think the groundwork for his success was simply due to signing "a certain type of player". I think it was also down to the way he went about things - which, in and of itself, had both strengths and drawbacks.

Different situations call for different strengths. If we were pushing for the playoffs, DJ could well be the man. We aren't and he looks increasingly flustered.

Guest wilyfox

To be honest, DJ has already brought in a lot of his own players - many of whom don't appear ready for the first team. Maguire, Rodri, Mayor, Mattock, Lee, Pecnik - and Taylor's hardly hit the ground running...

Last season was a success. The DJ/Megson debate is no longer a consideration. We're 1/3 of the way through the next season. The one thing I will say is that Megson was more candid with the media and honest with his assessments of performances. DJ appears to be scratching around for positives after two poor showings.