Megson's legacy

dont think anyone is saying keep the whole squad together from last season but the addition of some decent experienced men especially in mid-field and up front instead of a load of young kids would(imo) be the better option.

I'm more than happy with the young lads we've brought in, but I agree we need a couple of solid experienced players to shake it up a bit

Huddersfield have more money and are bullying themselves to a higher league position. Its short termism - there is no way they will ever be prmotoed playing like that - look at Leeds when Grayson was in charge.

And our model of trying not to be sent straight back down is better?

Guest MrsGoggins

Huddersfield have more money and are bullying themselves to a higher league position. Its short termism - there is no way they will ever be prmotoed playing like that - look at Leeds when Grayson was in charge.

Maybe so but don't we need short termism to avoid relegation? What DJ has done has put us in real danger of relegation. The development squad should have come later down the road when we could afford it and when we had established ourselves as a steady championship club. It's clear we don't have millions available for players so we should have gone for fewer but tried to go for better quality in order to finish outside that bottom 3, that is short termism but without millions it's difficult to plan ahead and MM is not in this for the long haul.

Edited by MrsGoggins

Ppl need to move on from Megson. He did a fantastic job at steadying the ship and I've said all along, he was probably the only person that could do that job. But we had started the slide before the game against the blunts, so we needed someone else to push us over the line.

started the slide really ......we were in 3rd place 2 points behind 2nd .we'd had a bad patch sure but we all know the reason for that but megsons signing of antonio changed that around .if we'd have kept megson i'm sure that at the end of his contract we'd have been in a far better position than we are now .jones is a proven manager in this league and i'm sure he'll do a decent job if given enough backing and time but he isnt going to get that is he .soon there will be the 4th manager in mandarics 2 year reign and that is not a recipe for long term success or stability .

Guest Lawrie Maddens Hump

I agree with the sentiments of DJMortimer.

Each manager deserves credit.

Megsons built a team with strength, commitment and pride. Yet often predictable.

Jones is building his own team with its own style. There is much more emphasis on passing, moving, patience and control. Yet at the minute it's not fluent.

In both examples it takes time to build things how you want them to be. It didn't just click straight away for Megson in League 1 as it isn't for DJ in the Championship.

Guest Deleted member

I agree with the sentiments of DJMortimer.

Each manager deserves credit.

Megsons built a team with strength, commitment and pride. Yet often predictable.

Jones is building his own team with its own style. There is much more emphasis on passing, moving, patience and control. Yet at the minute it's not fluent.

In both examples it takes time to build things how you want them to be. It didn't just click straight away for Megson in League 1 as it isn't for DJ in the Championship.

You'll get flamed for that kind of common sense

YOU NEED TO GET THE PITCHFORKS OUT - THERES GONNA BE A BURNING

You'll get flamed for that kind of common sense

YOU NEED TO GET THE PITCHFORKS OUT - THERES GONNA BE A BURNING

He's a WITCH.

This whole passionless player and manager thing gets on my nerves. So does the player/supporter bond thing.

The higher up the leagues we go, the less and less this is visible and it just becomes players earning a wage wearing a Wednesday shirt.

Some fans need to realise this and stop expecting players to have the same affinity for the club that we do.

In May/June this year, Dave Jones was taking the plaudits for a job well done (and rightly so), but many Wednesday fans, myself included, thought that gary megson deserved an awful lot of credit for the job he did here.

I was seemingly in a minority when it came to believing that we would never have won promotion had he stayed in charge (no-one will be able to prove their argument one way or another), but I was certainly appreciative of the work he put in to making Wednesday the club it has become.

For years we had been on our arse, feeling sorry for ourselves, settling for second best, but Megson changed all that.

He instilled a belief into every single player and fan that we didn't have to fail, we didn't have to settle for failure year on year.

He brought back a great pile of pride to S6, and with our new found confidence we went from strength to strength, ultimately ending in our promotion, albeit with him having left.

During the summer expectations were high for another good season, but in hindsight, I believe Megson's policy while at the club has cost us just as much as it has earned us.

He got his team fighting, working, bullying - but to do that he needed a certain type of player.

Semedo, Rob Jones, O'Grady, Reda etc...

Not technically gifted, but with hearts of lions, and ready to give their all to the cause.

Their lack of ability meant our style of play was limited.

But in League 1, it worked. These guys were the spine of our team, they spurred us on when we were down, and kept up the momentum when we were up.

In the Championship however, it's just not good enough. The gulf in class between the two leagues has never been so high, and kick and rush football simply won't do.

You need footballers, technically gifted lads who can keep the ball all day long, who can turn on a sixpence and thread a ball through the eye of a needle.

Jones has signed a few of them - McCabe, Corry, Bothroyd, Barkley - but he's not been in the hotseat long enough to formulate his own team, and so we're still left with very few options in the way we play our football.

We simply can't play our way around teams, because the players Megson brought to the club aren't good enough to do that.

Until Jones is given the time/money to build his own team and form his own style, we'll be suffering from Megson's reign.

It's Megson's fault we are where we are.

He helped get us to the promised land of the Championship, but it came at a cost.

And that is his true legacy*

*please note, I don't believe ALL of the above to be true, but hey, it makes a difference from the usual poo about Jones ruining Megson's team/Megson would have had us winning more games/etc... right?

Some may be true , but still knobheadish rubbish

Guest CambridgeOwl69

Megson took us from the bottom of league 1 to the playoff positions - he did a great job at the time

DJ completed the job and took us up - he did a great job at the time

Now...DJ is at fault and if he persists with 1 up front and blaming refs every week he will not be around much longer

whatever anyone says about Megson he was , and still is a Wednesdayite, with the club in his heart, Blue and White running through his veins, and would have got us promotion in my opinion. Thats mine stuck to the mast . Now DJ has systematically decided to destroy what was there, and it may be because we did not have class players, maybe just wanted Megsons era to be banished , who cares in the end, the club comes first, and none of us want old league 1 back do we. One thing is for sure, if we carry on like this we will get League 1. So whats the answer, DJ out - maybe. change of tactics - maybe, change of personnel - maybe. Probably all 3 if the truth is known. Problem is when do we say enough is enough, Personally I think the time has passed us about DJ, tactics would alter with a new manager, maybe new people coming in at January.

whatever anyone says about Megson he was , and still is a Wednesdayite, with the club in his heart, Blue and White running through his veins, and would have got us promotion in my opinion. Thats mine stuck to the mast . Now DJ has systematically decided to destroy what was there, and it may be because we did not have class players, maybe just wanted Megsons era to be banished , who cares in the end, the club comes first, and none of us want old league 1 back do we. One thing is for sure, if we carry on like this we will get League 1. So whats the answer, DJ out - maybe. change of tactics - maybe, change of personnel - maybe. Probably all 3 if the truth is known. Problem is when do we say enough is enough, Personally I think the time has passed us about DJ, tactics would alter with a new manager, maybe new people coming in at January.

In what way has he systematically destroyed Megson's work?

Destroyed team spirit to start , there was one game , where we had 10 Jones boys , and lost again, Confidence is at a low without a doubt, Last season was something special, and we should have built around that team, Huddersfield seem to have done that, but not DJ, waste of space , and not interested on what any else thinks , he is a total wee pipe-ead

Guest Bedders

This whole passionless player and manager thing gets on my nerves. So does the player/supporter bond thing.

The higher up the leagues we go, the less and less this is visible and it just becomes players earning a wage wearing a Wednesday shirt.

Some fans need to realise this and stop expecting players to have the same affinity for the club that we do.

Not true......take it you didn't see Chris Brunt sat in the Directors box this season then? Even though he was injured he tweeted it was nice to go back & he still was grateful that we had given him what he has today! To tar all footballers like this is wrong!!! Does a hell of a lot for charity does Chris. It's all down to the manager to get the recruitment right.......

Destroyed team spirit to start , there was one game , where we had 10 Jones boys , and lost again, Confidence is at a low without a doubt, Last season was something special, and we should have built around that team, Huddersfield seem to have done that, but not DJ, waste of space , and not interested on what any else thinks , he is a total wee pipe-ead

The rivalry last season kicked both Sheffield teams and fans on. This season there seems to be a little bit of an anti-climax.

As for the player selection, Megson's recruits have been given ample chance and not stepped up to the plate. In addition, confidence and team spirit has as much to do with the current context- ie. the position and league we are in- than anything else.

Edited by Lawrie Maddens Hump

Megson took us from the bottom of league 1 to the playoff positions - he did a great job at the time

DJ completed the job and took us up - he did a great job at the time

Now...DJ is at fault and if he persists with 1 up front and blaming refs every week he will not be around much longer

I must have missed us being bottom of League 1 lol

Not true......take it you didn't see Chris Brunt sat in the Directors box this season then? Even though he was injured he tweeted it was nice to go back & he still was grateful that we had given him what he has today! To tar all footballers like this is wrong!!! Does a hell of a lot for charity does Chris. It's all down to the manager to get the recruitment right.......

In my opinion that would be the exception to the the rule.

In what way has he systematically destroyed Megson's work?

he's taken a competitive side, with the heart and spirit to compete at every turn...

and changed it into one taking positions, and making sure it doesn't get involved in nasty things like tackling and closing down...

the trouble with us is our reluctance to accept we're a blue collar football team...

the opposition are shutting us down well into our half...

our overmanned (to cope) m/f is having to knock the ball forward to one unsupported man, and back it comes 99% of the time...

milan needs to get him some quality in, but he bought (sorry, signed) some shyte in the closed season...

2 games left for daveyboy jones for me...

then it's TIME FOR MILAN TO PULL THE TRIGGER...

but, i'm not enthralled by the names out there...

Edited by dnhc