Think first THEN speak

Guest dave jones n.1

The thing is, how long do we leave it. I like DJ-but the results dont lie.

Weve had some shocking decisions during that run, but I can bet the other teams in/around us have aswell. Weve also had some go for us in games-the decisions always even themselves out at the end of the year. At least I hope so.

The run of for is unacceptable, and DJ doesnt seem to no his best 11/formation.

Were picking up alot of injuries (Reda, Gardner, McCabe, Bothroyd, Lines, Lee etc..) are the players fit enough, certainly not as fit as last year.

The set pieces we were renowned for are now pathetic, the signings he has fetched in are baffling to say the least; Lee, Mattock, Taylor, Pecnik, Mayor, Rodri, Maguire are either garbage, barely featured or both.

He chops and changes all the time meaning no continuity, weve had 3 or 4 captains this year already, rumours of fighting amongst the squad, subs not being made early enough- COG 88 min last night wtf?

The change last year served as a shot in the arm, hopefully if we make one now it will have a similar effect.

As it stands we require 15 wins from 34 matches-thats not far off 50% win ratio which is a hell of a percentage.

At the moment there are alot of good managers out of work, leave it another fortnight and most will have been snapped up by Burnley, Blackburn, Ipswich and Palace. So we will be left with No one of any pedigree.

We gave Brian Laws 2 or 3 games to many, we dont want to make same mistake again. If we lose to Ipswich that will leave us rock bottom nearly a 3rd into season. Its not acceptable. Were averaging a win every 5-6 games, something has to change.

Most of DJ success came whilst TB was at the club, since hes left results have nosedived.

At the moment there are alot of good managers out of work, leave it another fortnight and most will have been snapped up by Burnley, Blackburn, Ipswich and Palace. So we will be left with No one of any pedigree.

Thing is those jobs might be more attractive anyway - some might not fancy working with MM and/or size of challenge here - in which case we could still end up with no one of any pedigree. Would DJ have come here in first place if he'd had more options at the time ?

Guest totemowl

Gaffer, that's a goddamned awful post. So many things wrong with it. Contradictions, selective facts, if buts. I understand you're going big on the WE'RE DOOMED though.

I don't want Dave Jones sacked for many reasons, many of those mentioned in the OP, but I do want him to be a bit more proactive in sorting the situation out. The facts are, we haven't won in 10 games. Yes there may have been promising signs in certain areas, defence and midfield, but in other areas, the situation has got worse. In any sides campaign that ends in relegation, you will find matches where the supporters have seen signs that it might have been coming right. At the end of the day its about results, and nothing in recent results leads me to believe that this squad is easily capable of avoiding the drop. On the contrary, without the ability to score goals, we will be one of the favourites to go down

I don't want Dave Jones sacked for many reasons, many of those mentioned in the OP, but I do want him to be a bit more proactive in sorting the situation out. The facts are, we haven't won in 10 games. Yes there may have been promising signs in certain areas, defence and midfield, but in other areas, the situation has got worse. In any sides campaign that ends in relegation, you will find matches where the supporters have seen signs that it might have been coming right. At the end of the day its about results, and nothing in recent results leads me to believe that this squad is easily capable of avoiding the drop. On the contrary, without the ability to score goals, we will be one of the favourites to go down

It's all down to MM and until then we have to wait, i just hope results pick up and we pull clear of the drop zone, not for the sake of DJ and his job but for all our sakes, what the loyal Sheffield Wednesday fan has been through over the last 12 or so years we deserve better.

Obviously Milan holds the key to our destiny, but in the short term I want to see DJ be a bit more proactive. We've changed the system, in my opinion something we needed to do, but its clear we don't have the right front players to make the new system work. As an absolute priority we need to bring in a striker who score us the goals that will help us climb the table. If it means we have to move one of our strikers out, so be it. Maguire for example isn't currently getting a look in and would benefit from game time elsewhere.

So everyone is moaning about the players DJ has brought in, the majority seem to want DJ out, right then let's sack him and bring someone else in, hold on won't the next manager be stuck with the exact same squad until January and even then most clubs won't sell decent players mid-season, so what possible good can sacking him do. If this squad is so terrible then surely we must just accept relegation. The squad is easily good enough to stay up FACT. Last season we trusted MM to steer our club to promotion, now it's time to suck it up, keep turning out in force and trust MM once more.

How is it a FACT?

What happens if we go down. Does your comment then become fiction?

It is a good job you haven't got a published book the librabrian wouldn't know what section to put it in.

Dave Jones came in and got promoted with gary megson's squad.

Who is to say XYZ couldn't come in and turn our form around with Dave Jones squad?

I didn't think anyone could come in and do what DJ did but when you analyse it the addition of Antonio was a masterstroke by GM - the experience and nous of DJ improved it with treacy to balance and more adventure

who knows what a new manager would do? I think we should still hang in there

Obviously Milan holds the key to our destiny, but in the short term I want to see DJ be a bit more proactive. We've changed the system, in my opinion something we needed to do, but its clear we don't have the right front players to make the new system work. As an absolute priority we need to bring in a striker who score us the goals that will help us climb the table. If it means we have to move one of our strikers out, so be it. Maguire for example isn't currently getting a look in and would benefit from game time elsewhere.

I agree, however, that being the case the question has to be why then drop COG on Wednesday night?

I suppose Pops, playing devils advocate, he was hoping Madine's more clinical finishing would give us more firepower. This is what I mean though when I say, clearly we don't have the strikers to make the system work. Madine perhaps our most clinical striker, cannot play the lone striker role and COG who is the best at holding the ball up, offers no goal threat when playing that role.

League table bottom 3.

Form table, bottom.

At the end of the season they don't look at 'how the players are playing'.

I actually don't understand your 'assertion'.

That's just blind faith I'm afraid. Faith counts for nothing.

Results do.

What the tables say is one way of defining form. Looking how the team plays is another. Looking at as many aspects as possible including these is probably the best way.

At the end of the season they don't look at 'how the players are playing'.

Nor do they look at the form table and league table as it was back in October.

Faith may come into it but it is not blind. I am judging how I think we will do over the course of the next six months on how well we are playing compared to the teams that are supposed to be the better ones in the division. Ok, playing like this has not yielded points over last few games but I would find it hard to believe that will be the case if we continue to play as we are now.

If you were considering backing a horse would you base your decision on a simple fact like it had not won in its last six races? Or would you look at exactly how it faired in those races? Was it last, was it a close second? Who was it up against? Did anything unusual happen in any of the races?

I think the best decision would be made by looking at all the factors and not just the fact that it had not won.

Edited by OxonOwl

What the tables say is one way of defining form. Looking how the team plays is another. Looking at as many aspects as possible including these is probably the best way.

Nor do they look at the form table and league table as it was back in October.

So your assertion is that we are in a false position?

Well, that isn't mine unfortunately.

Stick with him - Not been DJ's biggest fan this season but thing is there are already Championship jobs available at Burnley, Blackburn and Ipswich

Any potential replacement for DJ will probably have a shout at those jobs as well

Add to that working for MM might not suit some candidates and we may be looking at replacing with a poor choice

When we got DJ we may have been lucky in that he didnt have many more options at the time - would he have come here if faced with choice of us or say Blackburn in current circumstances ???

I COULDN'T AGREE MORE...

milan hasn't the greatest reputation amongst managers, and may be far from the highest in what would be a list of 4 clubs...

we have to stick with dj, if in 3 games time there is no improvement, then milan has to move...

in the meantime get some forward/forwards in with real fire power...