***4-5-1! Has DJ never played Fifa?

Guest Crime Squad Cop

Guest Crime Squad Cop

4-5-1 is a ridiculous formation...

This formation means either the midfield and defence have to work as a unit up the pitch and then offload to the one man on his own. Either that or he expects the CF to skin the whole of the opposition team...

What we need is a 3-4-2-1 or a 4-4-2.

With the 3-4-2-1 formation this means that there is plenty of support up front with a strong defensive and offensive midfield which is backed up by the three men at the back. This gives the man on the ball a lot of options instead of what happens at the moment when our striker receives the ball and is in the limbo between in range or a good angle and passing. Our current formation isolates our forward men. I think Dave has done this to strengthen our already poor defence but by trying to build up the defence in numbers because we have no organisation in defence, has left our CFs alone.

The 4-4-2 formation however, links up the players well keeping a strong defence which is what we need but i think the two upfront players may still be isolated and without that many options. This is the formation we need at the moment it will improve our offence whilst retaining a reasonably stable defence.

When we have established an organised and experienced defensive plan we can then move to the 3-4-2-1 formation but at the moment with the amount of goals conceded and amount of goals not scored we need to use the 4-4-2. In the training ground i think Dave should experiment with the 3-4-2-1 formation against the reserves to see how it works.

Guest Crime Squad Cop

It is the worst formation anyone could ever think of! How are you supposed to score without Messi being the 1? Dave is an idiot we need him out ASAP.

Seriously though, I've read your post and it does seem like you're basing your knowledge on FIFA - unfortunately real life doesn't work like that.

Regarding your conclusion to the 4-4-2 formation. I think it was clear over the last month or so that this formation isn't what we need right now. Also, the 3-4-2-1 formation you have is a pretty wide formation with a right mid and left mid, as well as a right and left wing. You need players with quality delivery from out wide to use such system, with pace at the back since the Championship is full of pacey wingers. Both things we don't have.

Give 4-5-1 a chance mate, we have played it the last two games and the performances have been quality. Despite a defensive error and a quality goal, we have been comfortable in defence and bossed midfield. No formation is perfect though, so it does isolate the attack. Once the confidence comes back I can see us kicking on from there.

I actually thought this was going to be a joke thread.

Then I read it.

BRILLIANT!

Iv just sent Jones FIFA in the post. It's FIFA 12 though. I don't want to give him 13 yet.

Surely it is a requirement that all managers have FIFA to obtain their coaching badges. Alan Irvine must have fell out with EA.

Guest Briscoe Inferno

3-5-2 is where it's at, weak on the wings but can dominate the centre of the pitch.

One major flaw - we need to dominate in the 18 yard box...