Faith in football

Guest davet30

Faith is important in life and in sport.

Can't see the problem, if I'm honest.

The atheist who argues against religion is just the same as the priest preaching to the non-believer.

Find your own way in life and don't knock how others find theirs.

Totally agree, in reality more people have some kind of faith than not and if the club choose to support a segment of our support or club then so be it.

Religion has its part in all of society from the justice system through to government. Ignoring it or belittling it only leads to confrontation. E have to accept that it is there whether we have a faith or not.

The atheist who argues against religion is just the same as the priest preaching to the non-believer.

True that.

Personally I have no time for religion at all, never will have, but I have no problem with those who do believe and practice their religion.

As long as it is never forced down my throat, which this isn't, a Wednesday player took part in something which is important to him, and the club reported it, I would deem that newsworthy.

Edited by leea8331

What else are we going to have to be told to be tolerant of? Are we going to have to smile down at the butty shop because old Mable will be offended if I tell her, her baps are stale?

We are constantly being bombarded with this message or that message telling us that racism has no place in our game.. Well duh! I don't need someone spoonfeeding crap into my ears telling me not to judge people on skin colour or religion because I don't anyway, and those that do are just braindead morons who will still be of the same opinion whether you spend £1 or a Million quid trying to educate them.

In the meantime they are perpetuating the myth that football has a problem when the problems in football are only an extention of the problems in society, if someone tells me that football fans need educating I would point them to the Jeremy Kyle show and tell them...Educate THAT, and the rest of society will fall into line.

I'm not a religious man, I'm not atheist, neither am I agnostic, more apathetic towards the whole area of religion.

I agree to an extent that religion has no place in football, that is on a stupid Rangers/ Celtic level. Though those in the game I.e. Players, fans can be religious therefore it cannot be said it plays no role.

This meeting was to discuss how religious barriers can be broke down in the game. To say most peoples main problem with religion is the conflicts it causes I cannot see how the meeting in discussion can be seen as a bad thing.

Faith is important in life and in sport.

Can't see the problem, if I'm honest.

Find your own way in life and don't knock how others find theirs.

Agree.

However most of the meat head brigade on here won't.

Guest davet30

This meeting was to discuss how religious barriers can be broke down in the game.

But I don't see ANY barriers to BE broken down in football. Racial issues yes but not religious.

To say most peoples main problem with religion is the conflicts it causes I cannot see how the meeting in discussion can be seen as a bad thing.

I never said the meeting was a bad thing, or at least I didn't mean it. It's joining forces with the racist issue but I don't see anywhere in football where there are issues with regards to religion.

It's a faith FORUM! As in open and frank discussion about the role, if any, faith can play in football. No body is preaching to people who don't want to hear it. Only people who are genuinely interested in the discussion need get involved.

Just because you don't hold the same beliefs, doesn't mean other people are not entitled to discuss it.

Guest davet30

Faith has no place in sport??????

In the context of religion .. no I don't think it has.

You have an incredibly immature view on the role of faith has in the all round life of someone like Jose Semedo.

If players wish to believe in religion then that's fine with me AND if it gives them the humph needed to do their best then all the better. Me, being immature 'n' all that, don't need such a crutch!

My objection is with it being brought into the football arena when there is no need whatsoever. We should be concentrating on stamping out racism and if you think region is going to help with that then you are deluded.

Guest davet30

When you think about the mind-numbing vastness of the universe, both larger and smaller than us, all the wondrous miracles that unfold within it, and our inconsequential status against such an awesome backdrop.....

...It makes you wonder doesn't it but the difference between you and I is I think 'what a brilliant vastness of scientific creation, where you seam to think "just imaging that a supreme being may have created all this". Well that may be your belief Dj but it ain't mine and I have just a right as any man to have his opinion

to state definitively that there is no higher power might be the single most arrogant statement it is possible to make......

Hmm the word Might just may be key here.

But you suggest that there may be one which just sound stupid to me. I'm a simple human who relies on facts and proof not a collection of stories twisted and changed through time.

Richard Dawkins might be an intelligent man by any academic measure, but in this regard he is one of the biggest simpletons imaginable... and utterly obnoxious in his pomposity to boot.

Now who's being arrogant? You know this for a fact do you or is it just another of one of you opinions? Like I said I deal with facts and proof so, lets see yours.