Lack of time, trust and respect for our manager

I know I will be slated for this post, and labelled a happy clapper, but the response on Owlstalk to our recent run of poor form, in particular yesterday's defeat, has been nothing short of a disgrace in my opinion.

First of all, the clamour from some for Megson to be brought back as manager - utterly bizarre. Megson brought the pride flowing back into this club, and we should all be so so thankful for that, but make no mistake about it, under Megson we would have been lucky to make the play-offs.

Dave Jones came in, went god knows how many games unbeaten, and delivered the seemingly impossible. He got us promoted, not gary megson. For that alone, he should have earned our trust.

After the end of last season Jones was walking on water - he could do no wrong. He made signings that had the fans drooling. Of the 14 he signed, I think you can only ask questions of DJ for the poor form of Mattock (playing him out of position) and the signings of Pecnik (useless) and Taylor (should he have gone for Batth? Probably).

4 games into the season and DJ was probably the most revered manager in the division. Everything was clicking into place. But teams have bad runs, it happens. Ours has lasted 7 games. We have been poor at times, but we haven't had a settled team, not always through choice. We've also run out of luck - injuries and refereeing decisions have gone against us - stone wall penalties turned down at Wolves, Burnley and yesterday.

So having just passed DJ's seven month anniversary in charge at SWFC - what do we have to show or his tenure?

An amazing run culminating in promotion, a promising start to the next season, and a poor run of form.

Is that it?

Is that really enough to get the knives out?

Not only have we seen calls for him to be sacked, we have seen vitriolic abuse aimed his way - some not just questioning his managerial capabilities, but personal abuse so disgusting it made me ashamed to be a Wednesday fan. (the 'flipping stinky flaps' thread)

Is this what some of our fans have been reduced to? Falling in line with the 'must-win-now' mentality, otherwise change everything? For the last decade we have endured some absolute tripe, but we HAVE endured it. We've shown humility, patience, and humour.

But now, in Dave Jones' first rough spell (that's right his first, it happens to ALL managers), we've descended into the type of fanbase you normally see reserved for fans of Arsenal, Chelsea, and Liverpool, who think going six months without winning a trophy is reason enough to sack the manager.

You'll notice I don't include Man United on that list - where would they be now if they'd pulled the trigger on Fergie in the midst of his first bad spell?

It is usually accepted that a manager that gets his team promoted deserves the chance to have a full season in charge at the higher level - in fact most would argue that even relegation back again shouldn't see a manager sacked if he was the one that delivered promotion in the first place.

Are Wednesday fans really calling for the head of the man who got them promotion after just TEN games of the following season.

I might have expected rumblings over this run of form from the notoriously trigger-happy Milan, but I didn't expect this from the Wednesday fans.

I'd call for everyone to get behind DJ and the team, get them through this patch. It's been depressing of late, but i'm convinced we've got the quality to work our way through it.

We've had a decade of utter dross and stuck with it - now isn't the time to stick the boot in.

It's not up to us anyway Kivo and Milan isn't known for his patience. It all hinges on the strength of DJ's relationship with Milan. Megson was sacked for a less severe run, but clearly the relationship had broken down. If DJ's relationship with Milan is still good he may be given a chance to turn it round, if it isn't so good, then he is toast and probably before the Leeds game.

Guest MrsGoggins

Something aint right and it needs sorting ASAP because getting relegated is not an option.

DJ knows it's a results based business and he needs to end this poor run or he's gone, i think he's a great manager but something has caused him to lose his f()()king head.

I know I will be slated for this post, and labelled a happy clapper, but the response on Owlstalk to our recent run of poor form, in particular yesterday's defeat, has been nothing short of a disgrace in my opinion.

First of all, the clamour from some for Megson to be brought back as manager - utterly bizarre. Megson brought the pride flowing back into this club, and we should all be so so thankful for that, but make no mistake about it, under Megson we would have been lucky to make the play-offs.

Dave Jones came in, went god knows how many games unbeaten, and delivered the seemingly impossible. He got us promoted, not gary megson. For that alone, he should have earned our trust.

After the end of last season Jones was walking on water - he could do no wrong. He made signings that had the fans drooling. Of the 14 he signed, I think you can only ask questions of DJ for the poor form of Mattock (playing him out of position) and the signings of Pecnik (useless) and Taylor (should he have gone for Batth? Probably).

4 games into the season and DJ was probably the most revered manager in the division. Everything was clicking into place. But teams have bad runs, it happens. Ours has lasted 7 games. We have been poor at times, but we haven't had a settled team, not always through choice. We've also run out of luck - injuries and refereeing decisions have gone against us - stone wall penalties turned down at Wolves, Burnley and yesterday.

So having just passed DJ's seven month anniversary in charge at SWFC - what do we have to show or his tenure?

An amazing run culminating in promotion, a promising start to the next season, and a poor run of form.

Is that it?

Not only have we seen calls for him to be sacked, we have seen vitriolic abuse aimed his way - some not just questioning his managerial capabilities, but personal abuse so disgusting it made me ashamed to be a Wednesday fan. (the 'flipping stinky flaps' thread)

Is this what some of our fans have been reduced to? Falling in line with the 'must-win-now' mentality, otherwise change everything? For the last decade we have endured some absolute tripe, but we HAVE endured it. We've shown humility, patience, and humour.

But now, in Dave Jones' first rough spell (that's right his first, it happens to ALL managers), we've descended into the type of fanbase you normally see reserved for fans of Arsenal, Chelsea, and Liverpool, who think going six months without winning a trophy is reason enough to sack the manager.

You'll notice I don't include Man United on that list - where would they be now if they'd pulled the trigger on Fergie in the midst of his first bad spell?

It is usually accepted that a manager that gets his team promoted deserves the chance to have a full season in charge at the higher level - in fact most would argue that even relegation back again shouldn't see a manager sacked if he was the one that delivered promotion in the first place.

Are Wednesday fans really calling for the head of the man who got them promotion after just TEN games of the following season.

I might have expected rumblings over this run of form from the notoriously trigger-happy Milan, but I didn't expect this from the Wednesday fans.

I'd call for everyone to get behind DJ and the team, get them through this patch. It's been depressing of late, but i'm convinced we've got the quality to work our way through it.

We've had a decade of utter dross and stuck with it - now isn't the time to stick the boot in.

Good post.

Guest UnbelievableJeff

Meh, was going to take the time to read this essay, but then read that and assumed the rest of the post would be based on no foundations too. For the record I don't want DJ sacked. But that was such a wide swept statement I cba to take the time to read the rest.

Guest BaRmY OwLs

Is that it?

Great post Kivo but you will never get through to some of the morons on this site.

Is that it?

Great post Lee. It's depressing at the moment and the biggest embarrassment is from the way some fans are acting.

I agree that some of the unsavoury comments are unnecessary, but this is a results business.

DJ did a great job for us last season, but that is history. No room for sentiment in football, so if he cannot halt the slide very soon and we are firmly stuck in the bottom three, he will have to go.

Meh, was going to take the time to read this essay, but then read that and assumed the rest of the post would be based on no foundations too. For the record I don't want DJ sacked. But that was such a wide swept statement I cba to take the time to read the rest.

Ancient history but I agree. Megson had got hold of Antonio and we'd just beaten the pigs. It's far more plausible to say the tide had turned. And I too don't want DJ sacked but Megson made a huge contribution to turning our club round after the mess bequeathed by Irvine and deserves nothing but credit in my eyes.

Like many I'm a bit confused. I think Jones has earned our patience but I'm baffled by how things are panning out.

Guest Johnbloodaxe

We only need to stay up this season... this bad run will end and we will finish up mid table at least stop panicking,,,, give it time...

Good post ? Is it flip knows I'm not reading all that especially from.Kivo who spouts poo poo

We've had some sh*t managers over time, with about as much to spend as what i did on my last car...

this one's had plenty to spend, and made a right c*nt of the job...

everyone of us can see it, everyone else in the division is stunned, or laughing at it...

and WE have people trying to defend him...

he's performing like an alcoholic backing your new motor outa the garage, yep! you wouldn't let it happen...

well it looks like some would, "he's only ripped a door off and knocked a wall down, give him time"... :tango:gary megson :st2: