What does 'good football' mean to you?

Guest JonTheOwl66

Guest cypress hill

Good football is how we played week in week out under Big Ron

it's how the pigs play every week, apart from when they play us or when their on tv & people can see em

Simply: Confident, fast, attacking football. (Formations and style are side issues) Watching the likes of Waddle & Di Canio dancing around the Hillsborough pitch was out of this world. But equally, watching a fit and confident Akpo Sodje smashing centre backs around was a sight to behold.

It depends for me.

Are we talking watching Wednesday or watching as a neutral?

As a neutral, I like to see end-to-end stuff. Fullbacks getting forward, central midfielders taking shots from 35 yards, center backs trying their hearts out to score from corners.

If it's Sheffield Wednesday, I'm more than happy having 30% possesion with 2 shots on target, then winning 1-0 with a dodgy offside goal off our worst player's ball bag.

Edited by Chris_B_SWFC

My idea is all of the above. There's nothing like a monsterous tackle by reda, the mazy runs of JJ & Antonio, the class finishes of Madine, the opposition bouncing off Semedo and the sound of the Wednesdayites singing and bouncing! That my blue and white brothers is great football! I flippinglove being a Wednesdayite

Edited by coe_22

Like a good counter attack me

But, the best football isnt about tactics or formation, what they do with the ball, tempo, passing style, any of that. The best football is the one that gives your team the win at the end of a game!!!

I'm sure that Boro side of the 70's were possibly the most tedious side ever to win promo [stoke city a few seasons ago at a push] but once you've taken the partisan view away, is that really how you want the team to play? as a means of getting promotion it's ok but you've got to see development. I'm liking what i'm seeing so far under Jonesy. He's had a raw deal at some of his clubs. Hope it makes it really crack here.

For me its all about going out and trying to win every game, doesn't make a difference about how its knocked about as long as you can walk away from the end of the game knowing that every one of the players has given it there all to win.

For the first time in years I know that we are doing just that and its banishing a lot of the memories of walking into Hillsborough and thinking that we are not capable of competing let alone winning.

Dave Jones changed us for the better last season just by telling the players they were capable of more than just the knock it up to the big man scenario and make sure we don't concede approach adopted by Megson. Football to me is in a lot of the ways you compare boxers.....slugging will only get you so far, skills will get you to the very top.

I am absolutely certain for probably the first time since the Big Ron days that we have a manager who is capable of managing the mantle of not only the club but the players also. He has an eye for a player who is good on the ball and its great to watch, long may it continue.

Guest bigblue

Good football come in many guises. The tiki taka of Barca, the fast counter attack of Arsenal a few years back, direct, gritty, using width, organised defending...etc.

Where it's entertaining or not is a different matter. And whether it shows technical skill or not is another.

I'd take Wednesday under Big Ron over the dullest dullards (Barcelona, yes them not just Spain) any day!

Any football is good if it is played at a high tempo. Spain and Barca are technically brilliant but when they play at a slow tempo... my god it's dull to watch. The team I've enjoyed watching the most in my lifetime for pure footballing reasons has been the Arsenal. They pass and move it around very well at a very quick pace. Good technically and exiting to watch, especially their Invicibles team.

Guest keyser soze

Good football for me is all about keeping the ball, keep it moving, being patient and then being incisive when opportunity presents. It's also about varying your tactics and if there's an 80 yard ball on from the keeper over the top, then do it. Good football is also getting your shape early when you've lost the ball and sending the opposition backwards, not necessarily flying into challenges and taking yourself out of the game.

Exciting football is different though. It takes two willing sides for exciting football. Both pushing on, leaving one against one in key areas and gambling a little that they'll get one more than the opposition.

for me there are differing types of good football...

generally watching arsenal (from a few years ago), barca (in a big game), spain, or the brazilian side of 70 is about the benchmark...

however, if the question involves us, then what atkinson provided was top drawer...

however, as long as we're winning, i don't care if it's wilkinson's, megson's or mourinho's way...