Old Pics from early 80s.

One of the best owlstalk threads ever ,our history is up there with the best ,Neill ought to start a memmories section , would 'nt it be great to flick through post after post or picture by picture or vidio's of our great club especially for our younger owlstalkers ,kivo could keep it up to date i should think

what do you reckon lads , our own owlstalk museum thread ,

Some great pictures, just love seeing the KOP packed.

Here are a few more memorable snaps, couple of nice days out in London early 90's

A much younger Laserowl & She who must be obeyed, The old Man (proud day seeing his beloved Wednesday win at Wembley), Match Ticket

Superb pics Laser.

One of my biggest regrets is not taking more photo's when I was younger, both at football and of mates, raves etc. But quality stuff.

This thread has made me want to rummage through my old programme collection and scan some pics

Its always baffled me how the old kop looked different sizes from different angles. I used to stand in the north west corner as a kid and the kop looked MASSIVE. Some of the other views on the photo's make it look smaller. It must be an optical illusion.

The angle of the terrace may also have something to do with it and it always looked bigger when it was full.

Looking at the early pictures of the uncovered Kop it was straight at the back. Later pictures show the famous hump.

Anybody know more about the hump, i.e. when it was added, why, why not extend it all the way across.

Would be interested to know.

The kop was extended with the hump in the summer of 1954 when a decision was also made to install floodlights, which were first used in Derek Dooley's Benefit game in March 1955.

No sure why they chose an hump instead of going the full width, maybe it has something to do with how close Penistone Road is to that part of the ground

I know i'm getting an old fart, but I can't remember the kop with the roof on with standing room only !! :wacko::ph34r:

How many seasons was it like that / what year etc..

About eight wasn't it? 87 to 95? Something like that.

About eight wasn't it? 87 to 95? Something like that.

86-93

I used to stand at the very back in the centre of the kop after the roof went on. When the seats were put in I got a seat in the exact same spot and stayed there for about another 6 or 7 years. Often think of popping back on the Kop for a game - only been on once since I moved off about 4 years ago against Swansea

The kop was extended with the hump in the summer of 1954 when a decision was also made to install floodlights, which were first used in Derek Dooley's Benefit game in March 1955.

No sure why they chose an hump instead of going the full width, maybe it has something to do with how close Penistone Road is to that part of the ground

My dad said the hump stayed as earth for a while. People just stood on the soil. Can you imagine that now?

My dad said the hump stayed as earth for a while. People just stood on the soil. Can you imagine that now?

I stood on similar surroundings at Wigan's old Springfield Park ground.

In the picture, the grassy knoll to the left was for away supporters :laugh:

post-13549-0-38270100-1333033529_thumb.j

Edited by cactus

86-93

I used to stand at the very back in the centre of the kop after the roof went on. When the seats were put in I got a seat in the exact same spot and stayed there for about another 6 or 7 years. Often think of popping back on the Kop for a game - only been on once since I moved off about 4 years ago against Swansea

i always stood just above crossbar level (just to the right of the net) and still have my seat there to this day!

I can probably count on one hand the number of times ive been in any other part of the ground...always been the kop...been in the west stand once...on the lepp once....south..can't remember, oh i'm fookin' lyin' the south when the kops been shut...so maybe single digit numbers...and thats after goin' on for 50 years...

I loved the old Kop, the unroofed mountain....during the miserable years of the 70's it seemed apt that you stood freezin' cold and p*ssed wet through...The scoreboard fizzin' and letters missin'....it sort of summed it up...relegation against City...wet through....albeit the boxing day massacre was a p*ss awful day...weather wise...no fvcker noticed!

But when we came up under Wilko...The whole bloody thing was bathed in sunshine....Sterland put the penalty away and in sun soaked glory the masses danced on the granite steps...stood on the blue crash barriers and roared to rafters...(that were not actually there)....But..A roof...was something we always talked about, from way back god knows when...The atmosphere was brilliant when the kop was full, but if anyone remembers it only got going when the chant of "WEDNESDAY!!!" came belting out of the old South Stand!!...yep the South...at one point in our illustrious history the loudest place in the ground was the South...

I can remember going up to 'Boro on the old S.U.T and we had a draw a roof competition...on the coach....paper was handed out and we shared pencils...The winner as i remember was summat written not drawn...I'm paraphrasing now..but it went along the lines of..."As we have no money...A roof over such a MASSIVE area is unfeasible... (Might have been Cardiffs dad)...and I propose we share the North stand roof..He then went on about how we could anglegrind through the girders an' put it on castors...well maybe not castors...and swing it round to cover the kop