Old Pics from early 80s.

Guest Briscoe Inferno

It's hard for people to imagine these days but until about 1990 most football grounds, buildings, hospitals, venues etc were'nt locked up with security during the day. You could, and I did, wander into almost anywhere unhindered. If I was near Hillsborough in the week I often used to have a walk inside the ground just to worship at the place! As kids we used to go to grounds in the week to get autographs and they all used to be open. At Filbert Street we just walked in and the then manager, Matt Gillies I think asked us what we were doing there, when we said we wanted some autographs and had come on the train from Chesterfield he took us to meet Gordon Banks on the pitch who was training. I even took a penalty and scored aginst Gordon Banks!

They're great photos, thanks for posting.

This is why a museum at the ground is a must before memory fades into history....with the CGI stuff around these days you pay a quid and get a real feel of what its like to score a pen in front of the Kop

Can't beat the kop when it was standing only especially when wednesday scored you ended up 15 foot down from where you were stood

Happy days :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Some good photo's there.

I think the biggest crowd I saw on the old kop, before the roof and expansion, was when we played Spurs in the year we finished second to them (1960-61?). Fortunately, being only 12 at the time, me and my mates sat round the edge of the pitch. The number of people who were "body surfed" down to the front of the kop was the most I ever saw.

The most frightening time was the Semi- final between Leeds and Man U in 1964/65 ? When the game finished we were carried off our feet from the top of the kop, all the way down the steps and to the gates on Penistone Road. How many were on the Kop that day I don't know but it was scary.

fantastic photos! uncovered kop = my childhood, brilliant memories.

anyone got any realy old ones eg/old north stand or old leppings lane?

I've got some really old photos, they're saved on an external hard drive how do I post them on here?

It's hard for people to imagine these days but until about 1990 most football grounds, buildings, hospitals, venues etc were'nt locked up with security during the day. You could, and I did, wander into almost anywhere unhindered. If I was near Hillsborough in the week I often used to have a walk inside the ground just to worship at the place! As kids we used to go to grounds in the week to get autographs and they all used to be open. At Filbert Street we just walked in and the then manager, Matt Gillies I think asked us what we were doing there, when we said we wanted some autographs and had come on the train from Chesterfield he took us to meet Gordon Banks on the pitch who was training. I even took a penalty and scored aginst Gordon Banks!

They're great photos, thanks for posting.

Yes, how times have changed. I was in my teens in the early 80's and we used to go to the pub that you used to be in the corner of the south stand and kop.

Many times in the summer we'd take our drinks and go and sit on the kop for some fresh air and to chat and admire the place.

I've got some really old photos, they're saved on an external hard drive how do I post them on here?

Use the 'More Reply Options' button at the bottom of the page and below the subsequent reply window there should be another that says something like 'choose files' or something like that. This will upload them onto the site, you can then use 'add to post' (or whatever it says) to insert it into your reply.

Guest one gary shelton

Brilliant pictures. I have linked this thread to our off topic forum on Web Fans as will appeal to those who are interested in ground changes and history.

The Kop all standing must have been really awesome. Stood in the Holte end at Villa Park back in the day but would have loved to have stood on your Kop. Must surely have been the steepest standing Kop of any league ground?

Edited by one gary shelton

Guest DaveJonesBarmyArmy

late 1930's I think

So thats what hillsborough use to be like. i flipping wish i was born when hillsborough like was like that :sad: