Sheffield Wednesday final memories

Guest TomatoKetchup

Guest TomatoKetchup

What's everyone's memories of the cup finals that we have reached!

The only one I am old enough to remember was the play off final! By far the best game I've been to for the whole experience! Just seeing all those Wednesday fans just gave me butterflies inside! I remember vaguely the games of the early nineties but unfortunate my mother wouldn't let me go to these so I had to come from sulking behind the sofa to watch the games on telly!

I remember (still vividly) the 1966 final. Can't remember feeling gutted, a bit disapointed yes but a feeling of immence pride as we gave a lap of honour let by our Don. We weren't loosers that day....we just came second.

Edited by longreach

Guest sandyowl

League cup vs ManUre. There were so many coaches we ended up with a local single deck bus. Worst journey ever.

Then went to Wembley 4 times in a month for league cup final, fa semi, FA final and FA replay. MASSIVE crash on M1 for replay. Missed first 20 minutes.

Guest TomatoKetchup

Was te other finals similar to te play off in anyway? The numbers we took in comparison to Hartlepool gave me a great sense of pride! We're the streets just a sea of Wednesday?

1991 stayed in London at Earls Court, was 6 of us Friday to Monday but met a load more on the Satuday. One of THE best weekends I've ever had, not just because of the result. Was with some great mates, young and single....

In our hotel was some rugby fans supporting Cornwall I think. They were in some final at Twickers on the Saturday and won. So we partied hard celebrating with them then they did the same with us the Sunday night. Got home Monday tea time and it's the only time I've genuinely had the shakes from coming off the alcohol.

2005 at Cardiff was special cos the wife n daughters were there to witness one amazing atmosphere. Got my favourite photo taken there with the girls too

91 - the excitement, the expectation of a walk over by the Mancs (they really thought they only had to turn up), the pride, the support, and the performance that day was as fantastic a performance as I'd ever seen (and probably will never see it beaten).

A wonderful day I will never forget.

93 was fantastic but heartbreaking. The semi though is probably the best experience of my life. An amazing day that did Sheffield proud and I still can't believe the performance of Alan Kelly. I went to the replay on my own on the train as none of my mates could afford it. My mum bought my train ticket and my girlfriend bought the match ticket. Met so many cracking owls fans that day but the last second of that game will never leave my memory. Just still hurts now.

Cardiff is up there though - the sense of togetherness was superb and what a day.

The one that stands out for me is the 91 Rumbelows final v manure. I remember thinking what a miserable set manure were while walking down Wembley way with thousands of Wednesdayites.

Don't remember much of the match if I am honest, but I do know I wore a replica training suit and felt part of the team and the moment when big Nige lifted the cup was awesome. It all seemed like a dream and didn't really sink in until I was stood on a wall outside Sheffield Insulations where the Morrisons is at Hillsborough watching the parade.

91 - the excitement, the expectation of a walk over by the Mancs (they really thought they only had to turn up), the pride, the support, and the performance that day was as fantastic a performance as I'd ever seen (and probably will never see it beaten).

A wonderful day I will never forget.

93 was fantastic but heartbreaking. The semi though is probably the best experience of my life. An amazing day that did Sheffield proud and I still can't believe the performance of Alan Kelly. I went to the replay on my own on the train as none of my mates could afford it. My mum bought my train ticket and my girlfriend bought the match ticket. Met so many cracking owls fans that day but the last second of that game will never leave my memory. Just still hurts now.

Cardiff is up there though - the sense of togetherness was superb and what a day.

Similar to you, I went to the first 3 wembley games in 93 with a load of mates, but because of money and work, by the last one I was last man standing.

Edited by NYCOWL

If there was one moment of our history I'd want to change, it would be this. Forget Cantona nearly signing, forget '83 semi thrown away, forget stupid signings costing relegation from the PL. If Woods had saved that header (or Bright had made a challenge) (etc) we'd have won on penalties, and we'd have won the Cup Winners Cup - there was noone any good in it except Arsenal that year. Then it would be us as one of the Big Four. Not playing in the fookin' third division (again)

If there was one moment of our history I'd want to change, it would be this. Forget Cantona nearly signing, forget '83 semi thrown away, forget stupid signings costing relegation from the PL. If Woods had saved that header (or Bright had made a challenge) (etc) we'd have won on penalties, and we'd have won the Cup Winners Cup - there was noone any good in it except Arsenal that year. Then it would be us as one of the Big Four. Not playing in the fookin' third division (again)

Thing is, as gutting as it would have been, I could have accepted a penalty shoot out defeat. But the manner of how we lost that cup final was just awful especially after everything we'd been through to get there (as fans I mean, and costs etc).

It took me 6 months to actually watch the goal - I didn't see it at the game as I'd turned to go to the toilet (I just felt something was going to happen). I dropped to my knees on the stairs and think I shed a tear. I actually watched it again a few weeks ago on ESPN and just went cold when the corner came over. Horrible.

But I agree - I don't think we'd be where we are now had that not happened. We'd have gone onwards and upwards.

Edited by senwar

It was great to beat the Mancs in '91 cos they really did think all they had to do was turn up. One of my abiding memories of that day was being in a shop at some services near Luton on the way home - half full of mancs, half full of us - no p*ss taking, just us whistling 'Always look on the bright side of life' - nothing more needed to be said!!! The Mancs then grabbed one of our fans, took him outside and hand-cuffed him to a lorry's wing-mirror. The quick thinking owl somehow unscrewed the wing-mirror from the lorry and he just walked off (still hand-cuffed to the thing!!) Would've loved to have seen the lorry driver's face!!!

The '93 replay - no-one will believe me, but me and my mate started singing 'Tricky Trev's Barmy Army' at the beginning of half time and kept singing it on our own until just before the 2nd half. Then gradually people began to join in. I can't tell you how proud I was when like a wave it went all the way around the curve of the crowd and then we all kept it going for at least the 1st 20 mins of the 2nd half. I really do think that helped get us back in the game. Heartbreak at the end though - I actually think about Brighty hitting the post just after we scored more than teflon Woods's mistake - how did he miss?!?!?!

It was great to beat the Mancs in '91 cos they really did think all they had to do was turn up. One of my abiding memories of that day was being in a shop at some services near Luton on the way home - half full of mancs, half full of us - no p*ss taking, just us whistling 'Always look on the bright side of life' - nothing more needed to be said!!! The Mancs then grabbed one of our fans, took him outside and hand-cuffed him to a lorry's wing-mirror. The quick thinking owl somehow unscrewed the wing-mirror from the lorry and he just walked off (still hand-cuffed to the thing!!) Would've loved to have seen the lorry driver's face!!!

The '93 replay - no-one will believe me, but me and my mate started singing 'Tricky Trev's Barmy Army' at the beginning of half time and kept singing it on our own until just before the 2nd half. Then gradually people began to join in. I can't tell you how proud I was when like a wave it went all the way around the curve of the crowd and then we all kept it going for at least the 1st 20 mins of the 2nd half. I really do think that helped get us back in the game. Heartbreak at the end though - I actually think about Brighty hitting the post just after we scored more than teflon Woods's mistake - how did he miss?!?!?!

I remember it clearly. I felt like we outsang them because we were outnumbered.

91 was brilliant, not just the final but the whole season ,Chelsea, Bristol City.

I was a teenager then and I remember my dad telling me to enjoy it as it woundlt happen again!!

Got to 93 and started to think it was the norm!! You even saw Owls shirts sold in sports shops in other city's!!

Favorite one however was the semi final. Went down on train, with both Owls and Blades, there was no hatred etc, just two sets of fans genuinely looking forard to the spectacle. Walking in as Waddel scored, them fighting back, then Brighty's winner seeled a memorable game.

Happy times.