Sheffield Wednesday final memories

Guest TomatoKetchup

It was great to beat the Mancs in '91 cos they really did think all they had to do was turn up. One of my abiding memories of that day was being in a shop at some services near Luton on the way home - half full of mancs, half full of us - no p*ss taking, just us whistling 'Always look on the bright side of life' - nothing more needed to be said!!! The Mancs then grabbed one of our fans, took him outside and hand-cuffed him to a lorry's wing-mirror. The quick thinking owl somehow unscrewed the wing-mirror from the lorry and he just walked off (still hand-cuffed to the thing!!) Would've loved to have seen the lorry driver's face!!!

The '93 replay - no-one will believe me, but me and my mate started singing 'Tricky Trev's Barmy Army' at the beginning of half time and kept singing it on our own until just before the 2nd half. Then gradually people began to join in. I can't tell you how proud I was when like a wave it went all the way around the curve of the crowd and then we all kept it going for at least the 1st 20 mins of the 2nd half. I really do think that helped get us back in the game. Heartbreak at the end though - I actually think about Brighty hitting the post just after we scored more than teflon Woods's mistake - how did he miss?!?!?!

Wednesdayites did us proud in both of those games. As I recall the Manchester Evening News no less, said of the 1991 final, "It was 1-0 on the pitch and 10-0 off it." Always remember the United fans instantaneously disappearing at the end like there had been a bomb scare, whereas in 1993 loads of ours stayed behind to 'congratulate' Arsenal on their victory. Maybe they were still stunned.

Were you at the League Cup defeat against Arsenal in that same season. Something similar happened when Viv Anderson received lengthy treatment for a head injury. There was no comparison between the supporters in those three games. Unfortunately, that doesn't win games, otherwise we'd have thrashed them. Bugger.

91 for me without a doubt , I had the time of my life , what a weekend .

We went down in Willie Thorns Merc , Stayed at the Wembley hilton the Night before , A gang of us went to some Posh club in London came back to the Hotel about 3 am It was still full of Mancs , some of them were ok the others fancied a pop at us as we were all suited and booted , Then the game and that Dink , we were sat bang next to the Royal box and my mate had blagged tickets for him and Willie to sit in the Royal Box , at the end he opened this little gate up and we went downstairs and i finished up chatting to Graham Taylor who was then England manager .

As i say what a weekend .

1991 for obvious reasons as we were wrote off before a ball was kicked but Big Ron got his tactics spot on that day.

1993 FA Cup final because I feel that extra time in the first game changed the history of the club. Arsenal's players were dead on there feet yet for some reason we didn't go after them being the fresher team. I will always remember chatting to Arsenal fans after the game who said if we had gone after them we would have won for sure.

91 - The Olympic ring shaking (bloody scarry that was) cause we were bouncing, Big Ron looking confident as we were hanging on and that noise when the ball hit the post :-)

93 - skint on the dole and couldn't afford to go and watching us getting kicked off the park = no highlights :-(

Cardiff - had food poisoning, in the loo every 30mins :-(. What an atmosphere :-). Talking to KPS after the game :-). Spent all night in the hotel room bathroom :-(

Regards

Lee

Wednesdayites did us proud in both of those games. As I recall the Manchester Evening News no less, said of the 1991 final, "It was 1-0 on the pitch and 10-0 off it." Always remember the United fans instantaneously disappearing at the end like there had been a bomb scare, whereas in 1993 loads of ours stayed behind to 'congratulate' Arsenal on their victory. Maybe they were still stunned.

Were you at the League Cup defeat against Arsenal in that same season. Something similar happened when Viv Anderson received lengthy treatment for a head injury. There was no comparison between the supporters in those three games. Unfortunately, that doesn't win games, otherwise we'd have thrashed them. Bugger.

Pretty much went to every game from '89 - '93, so yep was at he League Cup Final defeat.......fan wise we outclassed them all round - the only good thing about that day was donkey Adams dropping Morrow and putting him in hospital.......really thought we were gonna have them in the FA cup - ah well!!!

All the visits in the 90's were magical.....but the '66 when I was a nipper was more than special as "The Cup" seemed more special in those days. Could only watch it on telly with my mates (we chose the one one with the biggest telly!) cos tickets were so hard to come by.....even had the L.P. of the game afterwards!.....will never ever forget the reception at the town hall afterwards and the chants of "The best team lost!"

Or am I wearing rose tinted specs?.....who cares!...they're great memories!

I cried when the whistle went in '91. Never thought I'd see us win a cup final at Wembley.

Me too!

Just an incredible day. Didn't sink in until listening to the radio report on the way back when the BBC commentator said "Wembley belongs to Wednesday".

1966 Cup Final. I was fifteen and started and stopped smoking on the same day. I went with Grandad's grandad on the Swallownest coach, and as all the older lads smoked, I thought I'd buy some cigs. I had no idea, and bought 20 Capstan Full Strength. (BIG mistake). This was before the M1 was open up here so we went down the A1 to Wembley. I got on the bus, and started smoking like the older lads, and by the time we made our first stop, at Stamford in Lincolnshire I'd smoked the lot. I got off the bus, went behind the nearest bus shelter and threw my heart up. How anybody ever gets beyond their first cigarette is beyond me. My dad had given me £14:00 (which at that time was a huge amount of money) for my day out, and when I got through the turnstyles at Wembley and went to the section I was stood in I realised I'd lost my wallet. I raced round the concourse to the turnstyle I'd gone through fifteen minutes earlier, and there was my wallet, lying there completely intact. The final was a fantastic game, and at the time was said to be the greatest ever post war final. It's the one and only time I've ever cried at a game. I was fine until the lap of honour (the first by the way, by a losing side in a cup final), when the players ran past where we were stood. Peter Eustace was crying his eyes out, and that was all I needed. I was inconsolable. All in all, that's one of the most memorable moments in my many years watching Wednesday. Happy Days.