Madine & Lowe

It's been blatantly obvious to anyone with half a brain that these two should be paired up. The big man/little man is a classic for a reason - it works!

I like O'Grady, he's honest, works hard - but his first thought is backwards. I know it was a terrible team performance against Rochdale, but there were multiple occasions where CO'G had the ball at his feet and Madine was in the box with one defender (a situation which almost always favours him, given his size and ability) and instead of pushing past his man and getting the ball in he always turns back and passes to a midfielder in a safe position.

Momentum lost, move finished, Madine frustrated!

the truth be known there's been an argument on here as to the value of cog to the side, goals scored v. goals made...

looks as though that argument may have spilled over into boardroom (megson and milan, and one would imagine aldridge too)...

i did expect if there was any truth in the milan/megson bust up, then cog wouldn't make the starting Xl...

well he didn't, and we played some of our best of the season, and came close to that hiding we've been talking about, but never got near...

bigger test on saturday tho...

What's the betting that MM said to GM, either you change this or you're out of here, anyone care to speculate when or at what crucial juncture this alleged conversation may have taken place?

COG looked good at the top of a 4-2-3-1. His lack of goals isnt so important in that formation.

Madine & Lowe are a classic pairing. Big/little, experienced/young. Shocking that was their first start.

Lowe's movement also linked well with Lines at times.

That said, there was clearly a lot of new manager syndrome last night. So lets see how things settle down before crowing.

Guest Bald Owl

Lowe is fantastic, the best out and out striker in this league, his movement is great.

I like Madine but he's nowhere near the player he was, after last night i hope his confidence grows to what it was.

Go on you blue and white wizards

Lowe is fantastic, the best out and out striker in this league, his movement is great.

I like Madine but he's nowhere near the player he was, after last night i hope his confidence grows to what it was.

Go on you blue and white wizards

I like Ryan Lowe. A lot.

But that's a rather ridiculous comment! lol

It's been blatantly obvious to anyone with half a brain that these two should be paired up. The big man/little man is a classic for a reason - it works!

I like O'Grady, he's honest, works hard - but his first thought is backwards. I know it was a terrible team performance against Rochdale, but there were multiple occasions where CO'G had the ball at his feet and Madine was in the box with one defender (a situation which almost always favours him, given his size and ability) and instead of pushing past his man and getting the ball in he always turns back and passes to a midfielder in a safe position.

Momentum lost, move finished, Madine frustrated!

correct,

that is how cog plays. always the safe option. That is why the goals dried up.

COG looked good at the top of a 4-2-3-1. His lack of goals isnt so important in that formation.

Madine & Lowe are a classic pairing. Big/little, experienced/young. Shocking that was their first start.

Lowe's movement also linked well with Lines at times.

That said, there was clearly a lot of new manager syndrome last night. So lets see how things settle down before crowing.

We played 4-2-3-1 when Lowe and Madine were off and COG came on? Bloody hell the continental style formations are already in force lol .

Guest Big Guns

Dennis Bergkamp contributed just 37 league goals in 193 appearances in his final 6 seasons at Arsenal, and they won 2 league titles in that time. I suspect it was a similar story when Smith/Campbell partnered Ian Wright too.

Having two prolific strikers is an enormous bonus of course, but it is by no means essential.

:tango: cog and dennis bergkamp yes how can we leave cog out when hes like bergkamp a brilliant likeness :tango:

I really like COG and thought he was a little unlucky to get dropped but watching the front 2 link up last night, I was really impressed.

If they can carry on playing like that, we've got 2 strikers there who earlier in the season were both at the top of the goal scoring charts, I'd back them both to get the goals to fire us back into the automatic promotion places.

Guest wilyfox

i think playing Lowe and Madine together will also, oddly enough, help get more out of O'Grady; he needs to become a more potent goal-threat to get back in the team. hopefully he'll respond to that challenge. everything else he does is a real benefit to the team.

I have been wanting Madine to partner Lowe ever since Lowe joined the club. Two goal scorers, our best two, need to start every game.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am sure that this is the first game they have started together. They looked a good partnership. They did what I like partners to do, they stuck close together and played off each other. Think these two will fire us to promotion if kept together.

Not saying this is an anti-Cog thread but I got slated for critising him after the derby..Yes he scored and his work rate is good but it's all about Madine and Lowe for me!

Guest WoodhouseOwl77
Are all the cog bummers going to change there minds You no strikers don't need to score as long as they work hard Idiots goals win games.

You also said Mike Jones was useless think last night showed other wise.

Guest WoodhouseOwl77

Lowe's movement is superb hopefully his goal will give him more confidence, though the front pairing looked really good but the balance of the side was so much better.

Madine & Lowe linked just as i thought they would. Its absolutely criminal that they haven't been paired together yet.

As some said, it's the classic combo. Little & Large. Young & Old. Ryan Lowe was clearly not interested in any of the first balls knocked into the strikers. Madine was the one linking, bringing others into play, creating and also flicking balls on. Lowe was dragging defenders all over the show and picking up any second balls from Madine, while also looking to get in behind. It was creating so much room for Madine to do his thing in and he was superb. The good thing about Madine is that not only does he play that role really well, but he's a goalscorer too. Hopefully his little blip is over and he can produce like that every week. As for Ryan Lowe, his finishing is a bit hit and miss but his movement is first class and he will always keep getting chances. Delighted how well it worked.

As for O'Grady. Its a shame because i like him. I like waht he offers us and he's very good at what he does. But for the better of the team the Lowe/Madine combo is the way to go. However, when COG came on and we played 4-4-1-1 with Lines behind O'Grady to see the game out he did quite well. He definately still has a big part to play.

Also agree with the Morrison comment. Clint has really struggled with Irvine & Megson for the most part, purely because some of the football we played. But i think he would thrive if the team play like last night on a regular basis.

Great to have options.

COG will have a part to play in the run in. He too will benefit from the new manager and changed style of play just as Madine will. Mike Jones will also prove to be a real asset given a good run of games.

Edited by sal1

You also said Mike Jones was useless think last night showed other wise.

He also has said on many occasions that Lowe is poo . Also quote after the derby "COG was awsome,MOM" He likes the attention of being contrary.

Guest Big Guns

He also has said on many occasions that Lowe is poo . Also quote after the derby "COG was awsome,MOM" He likes the attention of being contrary.

Cog was man of the match

Every game I've seen Jones he's been poo

Lowes been poo but we all no why

Guest WoodhouseOwl77

Cog was man of the match

Every game I've seen Jones he's been poo

Lowes been poo but we all no why

Every game.......Charlton and a few minutes here and there from the subs bench!