Charlton

Guest Bournemouth Owl

sais all along that stevanage would be the threat in the play offs, still think the same.

none of the top six have done them at home, why would it be different in play offs

Well Thats something for the blunts to worry about then.

Well done to Charlton - a step above anything else in this league. Not in terms of football, I don't think they have been overly pretty, just very effective with bits of quality, and it has worked perfectly for them.

I expected (hoped!) they would fall away with so many new players and an inexperienced manager, but it didn't happen.

As has been pointed out, Charlton are in the top 3 of spenders this season - on fees and wages - but the money seems to have been spent wisely (not sure about paying Leon £6k a week to warm the bench mind!) and should leave them in a decent position to build on for next season.

Hope we can beat United and join Charlton in the top 2 come May, but United are in the driving seat - though that brings its own pressure; a Sheffield Derby loss could see a wobble!

Good manager, knows his players and is tactically aware and can spot a bargain For all the hype about them spending millions, most of their recruits were brought in on frees with I think only four costing fees, very similar to us in fact. They have recruited very well indeed In hindsight we were perhaps a little to hasty in jettisoning Morrison, one of the players of the season so far

They paid fees for 9 players and that was according to a Charlton fan on here the other day. Charlton have had the luxury of being able to release high earners and almost start again, their wage bill probably isnt that much more than us due to us being stuck with players like Clinton on high wages. I would never use the term "buying the league" thats only used by deluded ManUre fans who think they are the only club alowed to spend money! You have to give credit to Powell he has proved me totally wrong, when you see a high turnover of players it almost never works straight away but somehow he has managed it.

They have good players, but more importantly they have good balance Tough and uncompromising at the back, a good blend of workrate, creativity and width in midfield and pace and power up front. We don't have the right blend in midfield and without pace upfront, are struggling to find the right partnership

Guest Big Guns

fair play to some of the comments in this thread, it is greatly appreciated and nice to see. We have been fantastic all season and to receive credit from rivals is always nice. To say we have done it through buying the league is not true though. It is a well known fact that we sold Jenkinson, whilst also reducing our wage budget from lst year. Admittedly, many of our deals are undisclosed, so were not exactly sure of what we have spent, but we know it wasn't huge figures. We used the most of free transfers (Hollands), players from champ clubs (like Haynes) not in favour and also players like Wiggins, when Bournemouth needed the money. Our chairman has stated that our budget is less than you, huds and uniteds, and although this is not necessarily 100% true, I can't imagine our budget is much different from yours. Someone says Haynes couldnt have been cheap, but he cost only 50,000. Anyways, thanks for the credit, and after last weeks derby win, gl for the rest of the season, I think you could be joining us in the champ next year

Don't try and justify your sen to these it doesn't matter who spent the most or budgets its all about promotion and putting the best side together which you've done

It's all about promotion

Guest owladdick

They paid fees for 9 players and that was according to a Charlton fan on here the other day. Charlton have had the luxury of being able to release high earners and almost start again, their wage bill probably isnt that much more than us due to us being stuck with players like Clinton on high wages. I would never use the term "buying the league" thats only used by deluded ManUre fans who think they are the only club alowed to spend money! You have to give credit to Powell he has proved me totally wrong, when you see a high turnover of players it almost never works straight away but somehow he has managed it.

I believe we have paid fees for 7 players including Pritchard, who cost hardly nothing. 2 or 3 of these signings wouldn't have been that cheap

What has really impressed me about them is they've really put teams to the sword. They've dished out some proper hammerings whereas we haven't and we've struggled and lost at some really poor clubs. Deservedly top and they look out of sight now. Two losses all season is an incredible feat.

Last night showed why they are where they are and why we are where we are. The difference summed up in the space of a few days....Chezzie 1 Owls 0, Chezzie 0 Charlton 4. There's no point in just turning up against Utd, you have to do it every week, as Charlton have proved. They also regularly get late winners or equalisers, whereas we, well I need not go on, it's called professionalism.

thats not a fair comparison chezzy would have been up for the derby against us with 2k of our lot making for a cracking atmosphere and them raising there game because of it (megson as alluded to this numerous occasions) would imagine about 200 charlton fans wouldnt quite get them up the same ......wouldnt argue though that charlton deserve to be where they are .

Fair play to charlton. I thought they'd hit a blip but they haven't. Worthy winners of the league.

However, there's no way on earth they've done it for a million quid.

everybody kept saying this, but didn't think they would. well done charlton - head and shoulders above the rest (results wise)

Guest Islander

As a Charlton fan its nice to here your positive comments about us. I know you must get a few numpties on here but as stated on the posts always nice to have a bit of intelligent banter with rival fans. I was I was as confident as you guys about having it sown up, old habits die hard I suppose. Assuming we win the league the second automatic spot and play off places looks a real lottery at the moment.

What has really impressed me about them is they've really put teams to the sword. They've dished out some proper hammerings whereas we haven't and we've struggled and lost at some really poor clubs. Deservedly top and they look out of sight now. Two losses all season is an incredible feat.

Agreed. The amount of times I've seen them score 3 or more goals this season is ridiculous.

Guest cafcclive

some great comments on here , the only team i think anyone in the playoffs should worry about is stevenage , if they are in playoffs they will win make no mistake ,

weds had a great result last sunday , lets hope it kick starts a good run now .

Guest Charltonwantstobeowl

you guys can keep making excuses if you wish but the info regarding transfers was directly from powells mouth .. and we took 700 odd last night.. and won at an absolute canter..

Guest Charltonwantstobeowl

and further more we let semedo go becasue we offered him less money than you were prepared to pay him...

Also Haynes 6k a week... your having bubble mate..

and further more we let semedo go becasue we offered him less money than you were prepared to pay him...

Semedo turned down your contract offer - how is that letting him go?!

You're clearly one of the knobhead fans that a sensible Charlton chap mentioned earlier in this thread - you talk utter sh*te, thankfully not all Charlton fans are like yourself.