Charlton

Guest Charltonwantstobeowl

Yep - Charlton have tied it up now and fair play to them. Simply excellent season for them.

It's easy to go out and buy some players, bring in a few free transfers etc when you have the financial clout, but to buy well and get them gelling and performing like the well oiled unit they are is very impressive, especially considering Chris Powells lack of experience beforehand.

Congratulations to Chris Powell and his team (not Michael Morrison :biggrin:). Wish them the beat of luck next season.

As for us, we'll see how the Pigs react to Sunday and whether they will do there usually act of rumbleing it up. I still remain positive of that second place, but it will be difficult and nerve wracking. If we end in the play offs then so be it, I would fancy our chances in those sort of games everyday of the week, mainly due to the fans. A packed Hillsborough, full travelling army and then over 40,000 a Wembley may be the driving force just like it was under KPS in 2005.

Let's hope so anyways.

Thank you ... and glad you have an understanding that we used the 1mill we got from arseanl for Jenkinson to fund the whole thing... our budget is 4 or 5 th in this league... unlike most peoples misconception..

more like the Wednesday I used to know...

think we can safely say that charlton have ran away with the league this season , 15 points clear of ourselfs

but second is still all to play for

have faith uto

Charlton deserve to be home and dry.....been there all season and I guess that will not change at all. They have spent big and brought in more than 20 players this season......

We are where we are despite spending next to nothing with the minimum of players being brought it......You get what you pay for!

I am happy the club is on an even keel, debt free but we could have been up there with Charlton if GM had been given half the support that the Charlton Manager has had.

Guest Charltonwantstobeowl

Charlton deserve to be home and dry.....been there all season and I guess that will not change at all. They have spent big and brought in more than 20 players this season......

We are where we are despite spending next to nothing with the minimum of players being brought it......You get what you pay for!

I am happy the club is on an even keel, debt free but we could have been up there with Charlton if GM had been given half the support that the Charlton Manager has had.

Just becasue you say "they have spent big" doesnt make it true mate.. We brought in 20 but e also got rid of 18 and as previously stated we have the 5th highest wage bill , LOWER than yours in the league and we spent the 1 mil we got from arsenal for the whole squad...

Just to clear up your misconception... in short the job Powelly has done has been nothing short of MASSIVE...

Just becasue you say "they have spent big" doesnt make it true mate.. We brought in 20 but e also got rid of 18 and as previously stated we have the 5th highest wage bill , LOWER than yours in the league and we spent the 1 mil we got from arsenal for the whole squad...

Just to clear up your misconception... in short the job Powelly has done has been nothing short of MASSIVE...

This misconception, just looking at this site:

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/charlton-athletic/transfers/verein_358.html

A lot of your incoming transfers have a ? as the fee paid. So how do you honestly know you have spent just a million? Seems the majority of the million went on two players - 750k, and i can't imagine players such as Danny Haynes were cheap.

You've also got a lot of players leaving on free transfers, but then signing players on a free still involves signing on fees, agent fees, wages etc.

Congratulations on the performance this season mind, shame the rest of your fans joining this board aren't up for decent discussion.

Edited by Furious George

I'm pretty certain that if you add all your wages up, transfer fees, loan fees agents fees, signing on fees etc. from the end last season to today you will have spent a fair amount more than us, regardless of whether your wage budget is slightly lower than ours. But like I said, anyone can spend, but Powell has spent wisely. He deserves MASSIVE praise for the job he's done.

I think we have about the 4th/5th higher wage budget behind Sheff Utd, Huddersfield, Preston and maybe you. We are and may finish exactly where our budget would suggest we should finish and cosidering the mess we were in and our the lack of crap players who could leave last season, due still being under contract, we have had a good season. You on the other hand have overachieved to win the league with ease, again fair play.

Just keeping my fingers crossed we can join you and I don't care how we do it.

Guest wilyfox

Wright-Phillips has started scoring again, and seems to be over his little drout (we need Madine to do the same). there'll be no catching them now. deserving title-winners; led from the off. i think they'll clear 100 points, which is no mean feat. Powell has done a tremendous job at the Valley.

Guest Big Guns

don't tend to take any notice of what you say; its usually a loada poo

That's were your wrong wot i say is usually right but cos most of you live in a little blue n white bubble and can't accept listening to the truth you slag me off

lol

Muppets....

fair play mate your club as done well especially with the gates you have been getting (13k v bury),.you need to find some more support to kick on next season in the championship or you have a good chance of stagnating and being back here in a few years time.

Where are the figures to back this up?

Guest owladdick

fair play to some of the comments in this thread, it is greatly appreciated and nice to see. We have been fantastic all season and to receive credit from rivals is always nice. To say we have done it through buying the league is not true though. It is a well known fact that we sold Jenkinson, whilst also reducing our wage budget from lst year. Admittedly, many of our deals are undisclosed, so were not exactly sure of what we have spent, but we know it wasn't huge figures. We used the most of free transfers (Hollands), players from champ clubs (like Haynes) not in favour and also players like Wiggins, when Bournemouth needed the money. Our chairman has stated that our budget is less than you, huds and uniteds, and although this is not necessarily 100% true, I can't imagine our budget is much different from yours. Someone says Haynes couldnt have been cheap, but he cost only 50,000. Anyways, thanks for the credit, and after last weeks derby win, gl for the rest of the season, I think you could be joining us in the champ next year

Guest theowls 93

I went last night with my mate who had a spare season ticket, coant help but notice how good Morrison looks! He looked class against us at hillsborough, and has looked good on the tele when they have been on. Its no coincedence that he is playing in the heart of the team with the best defensive record in the league. MASSIVE mistake getting rid, yes he was poor at us, but that was in the full back positions that he doesnt play, in centre half he really could have been an asset this season! (Tin hat on maybe?)

Last night showed why they are where they are and why we are where we are. The difference summed up in the space of a few days....Chezzie 1 Owls 0, Chezzie 0 Charlton 4. There's no point in just turning up against Utd, you have to do it every week, as Charlton have proved. They also regularly get late winners or equalisers, whereas we, well I need not go on, it's called professionalism.