Charlton

Let me just clear a few things up, firstly Haynes was 50,000 as stated by the charlton fan above, not the 100,000 that you claimed. See this http://www.southlond...joins%20Addicks for more info on that point.

Clarke is no way on 6k a week with us. Considering Semedo was being made to take a pay cut to 4k if he wanted to stay with us, there is no chance that Clarke would then be given 6k.

And finally, Semedo is on 8k with you, and left us because he didnt want the 4k that we offered him. That may not be the only reason he left, who knows, but it is common knowledge, thanks to our chairman telling us so, that Semedo accepted your 8k a week offer and rejected our 4k offer.

Anway this is all very trivial, it really doesnt matter who has the bigger budgets. The fact is Powell has spent wisely, and used free's very wisely too, and I'm delighted with where its got us. Thanks for the many nice comments on this thread, and good luck for the rest of the season.

Enoch done well, bless.

And finally, Semedo is on 8k with you, and left us because he didnt want the 4k that we offered him. That may not be the only reason he left, who knows, but it is common knowledge, thanks to our chairman telling us so, that Semedo accepted your 8k a week offer and rejected our 4k offer.

Haven't we got a 5k salary cap?

Thats why we wouldn't sign Mellor?

Let me just clear a few things up, firstly Haynes was 50,000 as stated by the charlton fan above, not the 100,000 that you claimed. See this http://www.southlond...joins%20Addicks for more info on that point.

Clarke is no way on 6k a week with us. Considering Semedo was being made to take a pay cut to 4k if he wanted to stay with us, there is no chance that Clarke would then be given 6k.

Anway this is all very trivial, it really doesnt matter who has the bigger budgets. The fact is Powell has spent wisely, and used free's very wisely too, and I'm delighted with where its got us. Thanks for the many nice comments on this thread, and good luck for the rest of the season.

since we have a wage cap of £5k, i think you are talking out of the top of your head.

How would you know what Semedo is on with us? Considering we werent able to offer Mellor more the around 5-6k and we are under a wage cap how on planet earth would we be able to offer 8k for Semedo?

Guest bwp is god

since we have a wage cap of £5k, i think you are talking out of the top of your head.

As has been stated by me and others in this thread, this is what the Charlton chairman has come out and said. Now obviously that may not be 100% accurate, but I'm fairly sure he will know more about the finances of various clubs than you or I do, mainly as he would have been involved in any discussions with Semedo, you and I were not. Either way, we are all going to believe different things, so lets just accept that we probably have fairly similar budgets, and move on. Good luck for the rest of the season.

Charlton set out to take the league by storm and have done that exactly. They punish the poor teams and grind out results against the top sides by stopping them playing and being professional. Credit where its due even though they we're spoilers at Hillsborough.

Good description of what they do.

As has been stated by me and others in this thread, this is what the Charlton chairman has come out and said. Now obviously that may not be 100% accurate, but I'm fairly sure he will know more about the finances of various clubs than you or I do, mainly as he would have been involved in any discussions with Semedo, you and I were not. Either way, we are all going to believe different things, so lets just accept that we probably have fairly similar budgets, and move on. Good luck for the rest of the season.

how many times do you have to be told ....never flipping ever believe anything a chairman says .

Guest bwp is god

how many times do you have to be told ....never flipping ever believe anything a chairman says .

So who told you about your 5k salary cap? Your chairman I assume?

So who told you about your 5k salary cap? Your chairman I assume?

We were told that we were under a wage cap and it was well documented that we couldnt afford Mellor's wages because the most we were prepared to offer was around the 5k region, this has prevented us signing numerous other players this season. Lots of this info has come from Megson. Mandaric did state that we were under a tight wage structure but to my knowledge didnt state figures.

Guest alwaysaowl

i always knew charlton would be the team people on here saying there will drop points and so on time to forget them now and move on

Guest Big Guns

I missed that as I was at the back of the South Stand waiting for some kak handed idiot to pour me a pint and work out the change from a fiver..

Same on north takes 3 of em to serve you thick kants

Guest hooterx

Interesting article in mail on Sunday re powell & finances, pasted part here not for all Owls of course but from a football supporters view interesting article. Well done Charlton, being top all season says it all I guess.

But 13 months ago, when he succeeded Phil Parkinson, life was less rosy. After winning his first four games, the slump which followed was a reminder of the challenges ahead. Charlton won two of their next 19 matches, as the season fizzled out. It was a gruesome initiation into his new role. ‘I came back, we won a few, and people started to say it was easy, but deep down, I knew it wasn’t,’ said Powell.

‘The squad wasn’t right. Not for what I wanted it to do. That losing run was important, because it taught me who I needed. Because of that, we started this season with the right squad for the job.’

The sale of Carl Jenkinson to Arsenal brought in urgently needed funds, and the board allowed him to rebuild as an investment in the future.

‘People think we’ve spent a fortune,’ said Powell. ‘In fact, our budget is half that of Huddersfield and nowhere near either of the two Sheffield clubs. I’ve been creative, used free transfers and moved on people who couldn’t do what I needed them to.’

He had little option, having been made aware right from the outset that the finances were in a desperate state. ‘We’ve got good owners, who have lived up to their words. And without them, Charlton would be where Ports-mouth find themselves today. The fans deserve to know that

Guest Charltonwantstobeowl

Interesting article in mail on Sunday re powell & finances, pasted part here not for all Owls of course but from a football supporters view interesting article. Well done Charlton, being top all season says it all I guess.

But 13 months ago, when he succeeded Phil Parkinson, life was less rosy. After winning his first four games, the slump which followed was a reminder of the challenges ahead. Charlton won two of their next 19 matches, as the season fizzled out. It was a gruesome initiation into his new role. ‘I came back, we won a few, and people started to say it was easy, but deep down, I knew it wasn’t,’ said Powell.

‘The squad wasn’t right. Not for what I wanted it to do. That losing run was important, because it taught me who I needed. Because of that, we started this season with the right squad for the job.’

The sale of Carl Jenkinson to Arsenal brought in urgently needed funds, and the board allowed him to rebuild as an investment in the future.

‘People think we’ve spent a fortune,’ said Powell. ‘In fact, our budget is half that of Huddersfield and nowhere near either of the two Sheffield clubs. I’ve been creative, used free transfers and moved on people who couldn’t do what I needed them to.’

He had little option, having been made aware right from the outset that the finances were in a desperate state. ‘We’ve got good owners, who have lived up to their words. And without them, Charlton would be where Ports-mouth find themselves today. The fans deserve to know that

this

Guest TonyOwl88

I have no faith in the managerial merry-go-round tactic.

How are we supposed to build up a team to challenge for promotion, if progress of 13 places up a league leads to the manager being sacked?

The core of players will just be destroyed this summer as a new manager looks to mould the team in his image, only to be sacked 3 quarters of the way through for not being 20 points clear at the top?

Who cares who the next manager is, when we all know he won't last long enough to succeed.